1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Help - Glow String

Discussion in 'Modding' started by c.u.later, 6 Dec 2007.

1. c.u.later

c.u.later What's a Dremel?

hey guys, getting a load of this stuff pretty soon, and was wondering, is there a cheap and easy way to make up a 12v circuit using batteries? looking at getting it wrapped round my mates guitars for the gig we're doing, so ideally something that can be strapped to the back, and portable.

any ideas?

all help appreciated,

c.u.later

2. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

8 AA batteries in series. actually, you could use AAA, AA, C, or D batteries (as long as you have 8) because they are all 1.5 volts, but different amp-hours (the bigger they are the longer they can power something).

and for the math (brace yourself, its hard):
    8 * 1.5V = 12V

you could also use 2 of those 6V lantern batteries in series, but they are a bit larger

heres a website explaining the differences between connecting batteries in series and parallel: http://www.zbattery.com/seriesparallel.html

3. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

You can get tiny (think half a AAA size) 12v batteries, some places call them lighter battereis, some have number codes like A27 or A28 battereis. You would be changing it maybe every 15-20hours max though. Maplin Electronics sell them, i know that.

dragon2309

4. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

Doesn't EL string need a bit more than 12V? I thought they came with inverters like CCFLs do (but I should imagine don't crank the voltage up quite that high, 100V or so) :s

5. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

Providing he uses the inverter (he probably would) then the input is still 12v, no need to use any different for the supply voltage

6. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

:rock: Yeah dude awesome! If you pull it off, post some pics.:rock:

7. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

Well that's the reason I was asking; sticking an invertor on the back of a guitar (which have pickups) might look great but sound a bit bad :p
    Belt clip I guess, just careful that wire doesn't come out now, or you'll be dancing too :D

8. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

If it's an electric guitar you could run a second cable. Maybe that isn't an option though.

9. jgrade

jgrade What's a Dremel?

How about using phantom power from the mixer. If using a second cable or hacking one for your purpose is an option then it may work. A plus is that if you use a mic cable, it should provide enough shielding. The EL would not be very bright but should be visible. I think the best would be to shield an inverter very, very well and strap it the back of the guitarist. However, I am not sure if the frequency of the wire wrapped around the guitar would introduce any noticeable noise. I would make sure have new cables with REALLY good grounds.

Good luck. Should be very cool if it works.

10. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

My EL string used to interfere with my CRT, so it might be worth trying it out first.

How about fairy lights instead :D