1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TribalOVERKILL's LiquiD EVOLUTION

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 3 Jun 2007.

1. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Damn you work fast :D

Do the aluminum brackets keep the res in place well enough? If so and they don't scratch the res, you could sand the acrylic insert even more and let the bracket be the contact point with the res...

Just a thought, though I think you come up with much more clever way to do it :thumb:

Darkened

2. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Ok,... I'm back. Feelin a bit better. Now,... back to the brackets. Last time I was having trouble with the res sliding in the brackets. Well,... I redesigned the brackets and got some new stuff.

Dec-06-2007

Some stuff from mcmaster.
    [​IMG]

I actually got some 1/8" o-rings because,....
    [​IMG]

The ones I was using before were so damn dinky,...
    [​IMG]

These 1/8" o-rings work but in my opinion they are a bit to much. SO,....
    [​IMG]

I got some 3/32" o-rings which are a lot better. Strong but not so bulky looking.
    [​IMG]

A lot nicer.
    [​IMG]

I also got these 3/32" x 3/4" rings too. I want to try something else,... 4 of these per res. I want to make a nice aluminum band with "U" bend on each side to hook in the o-rings. This way the system looks more balanced,... aluminum/ acrylic to o-ring. You know what i mean? I think the little rings will look better then one rings stretched up and over. We'll see.
    [​IMG]

I also got some bumpers. A modder from one of the forums I post said to use stick on bumpers from mcmaster. Out of "stick on bumpers" I see,... "bumpers". You guyz know me,... no tape no glue etc. So U looked up bumpers and found these nice push in bumpers. SOLD.
    [​IMG]

These will keep the reservoirs from sliding around. They are cheap too. like $5 for 100 of them.
    [​IMG]

I've got quite a collection now.
    [​IMG]

Here are my plans for the new brackets. Kind of the same which is good because I like this style of brackets. I did not want to give up on this. So let get to work,...
    [​IMG]

Need some acrylic blocks.
    [​IMG]

Cut down,...
    [​IMG]

Cutting the "V" groove.
    [​IMG]

Pretty good but its weird,... they are all a bit different or off from each other?!?! Maybe because I forgot to tighten the damn drill press table before I start cutting them!!! DOH!
    [​IMG]

Cutting the middle of the "V" groove out with a 1/8" end mill. I didnt want to use an 1/8" because its kind of big or bigger then what I wanted to use. But I had to because of the slightly off groove centers. DOH! You know what,...
    [​IMG]

I'm startin over,...
    [​IMG]

This time the table is locked and tight. I'm using one block to align the saw blade.
    [​IMG]

If I dont cut my fingers off using that blade like that,... it will just flat out take my head off. You see the dent in my friggin wall! That from the piece of acrylic that was cut off and got flung by the 3000rpm blade.
    [​IMG]

Here's the jig I'm using to cut the "V" grooves. I glued it the the vise jaw. The jig and jaw is taped up though. Anyways,... all I have to do is load the jig and cut.
    [​IMG]

MUCH BETTER!
    [​IMG]

The left overs,...
    [​IMG]

Wow. So much better.
    [​IMG]

Carving out the middle of the grooves again. This time I am using the 1/16" end mill I wanted to use the first time.
    [​IMG]

Very pro,...
    [​IMG]

Very small.
    [​IMG]

So cool!
    [​IMG]

Two new jigs,... they are the same actually. A single and a sixer.
    [​IMG]

It's for cutting another angle,..
    [​IMG]

NICE! God I love this.
    [​IMG]

So cool.
    [​IMG]

Yet another jig,...
    [​IMG]

I'm drilling with the end mill. Making room for the captive nuts that will be on the aluminum portion of the brackets. This jig is glued to the vise too. You see,... I measure to drill one hole. I drill one side and then flip it around to drill the other side. It's faster and more accurate then constantly aigning the press for each cut.
    [​IMG]

Captive butt holes,...
    [​IMG]

Using the same jig I used to drill the captive nut holes... I drill the holes for the retaining acrylic rods. Drill one side and then flip it over to do the other.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now,... using the "V" groove jig,... I drilled for the bumpers. I am sinking the bumpers too so they dont come out all that easy. Plus to give them a slightly lower profile too.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wicked,...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Who is the friggin man! These things look so damn cool. They are just so perfectly together. Amazing.
    [​IMG]

The 2" res,...
    [​IMG]

The 2.5" res,...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Niiiiiiice,...
    [​IMG]

Ok,... I am going to back tonight. I have to fixed two xPO's though,... I continue here when done with them. I'll probably glue the xPO's togther and then put them off to the side for the night for some EXTRA curing time,... so I can back back to these bad boys;)

3. mr_carl

mr_carl What's a Dremel?

freakingly great work donr there mate, really nice.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nice.
    -but all this talk of 'captive buttholes' and rubber plugs is creepin' me out!

5. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Nice to have you back. lol as usual, a better idea then my suggestion. :)

6. tribaloverkill

LOL! Your the first and only person to have said something about the captive butt holes. Congrats. I sometimes wonder if people are actually reading through my long updates. I'm thinkng there are like 3 different types of people in the audience,...

#1: People who are for the pics only. These dont really care about the text.

#2: People who skim through the text but are mostly there for the photos. Maybe this type will read if the text catches thier attention.

#3: People who are very thorough, reading through all the text for each photo. Maybe even going back to read a particular block of text.

Hmmm,... this gives me an idea.

7. FR34K

FR34K What's a Dremel?

I'd have to say I'm closer to that second one

8. tribaloverkill

Thats ok:) Most people are:) I bet you go through all the pics first and then go back to skim through text while looking at the pics again;)

9. Teyber

Teyber ******

Trib, great update! i skim through the pics so i have a general sense of whats going on and what your talking about, then i go back and read what you say. Great update, i love your work on the jigs!

peace

10. FR34K

FR34K What's a Dremel?

pretty much

11. Cheapskate

Honestly, I don't think either would make any sense seperately. Some of the stuff you talk about wouldn't make any sense if people weren't paying attention to the entire thread.

...Sometimes you are hard to understand no matter how I read it.:D

12. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Im guilty. The pictures do speak for themselves. As that saying goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words."

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Some of us do read it, Tribal. I can only speak for myself, man. Hahaha. I didn't want to say anything about buttholes and them being plugged with rubber in fear of removal from the premises in handcuffs, metaphorically speaking of course. I do enjoy your updates regardless. They are quite high in fiber and a delicious meal each time. Again, metaphorically speaking. :thumb:

Anyways, These res's look kick*ss man. Really top-notch work here. I wonder sometimes if you ever sleep though. :hehe:

14. tribaloverkill

@ Cheapskate - Me, hard to understand? I'm sure. Most of the time when I update I am tired as hell. I usually leave the studio when I just can't take it anymore, when I'm just to tired. Thats when I go home to update:) LOL. But I will admit,... when I explain things, for anything, not just modding. I always talk as if you already know what I mean or what I'm talking about so my explaining is kind of like me recapping information when in fact I am totally filling you guyz in because you dont know what the hell it is that im doing. Understand? LOL.

@ Qhs - True. But what if I made something that was like complicated and you wanted to know how it was done?!?! you'd have to read:)

@ E.E.L. - I dont sleep enough. I need to start sleeping more. It's not good for me. My health is slowly going down hill because of it.

15. FrooP

FrooP can I eat this?

dude like.. yesterday my EFX design components arrived.. i started to mess around with the acrylic rods.. i use 4mm rod 2 mm for those design thing holders and 6mm rod to attach the horizontal 2mm rods to the 4mm rod in the center of the res.. like LOL i hate this stuff.. keeps cracking or melting all the time.. i hope i can get this stuff work.. may i know what drillbits you use? maybe those i use suck
    you have my respect.. this is hard s#!T

16. tribaloverkill

Who is this? Hagatha? Or you have Hagatha's stuff?

17. tribaloverkill

Small update,... got to the studio late. I was tired. I started the aluminum work.

Dec-07-2007

Piece of 5052 aluminum.
    [​IMG]

Here's the design I'm shooting for. There are no "V" grooves in the design because I'm goign to cut the "V" groove the same way I did it the last time.
    [​IMG]

I'm going to offset the braclets like this to save on aluminum plus I think it would look cool like this:)
    [​IMG]

I cut my big piece up and I started cutting my bending grooves.
    [​IMG]

Some burr but very nice.
    [​IMG]

The same way I was drilling the holes,... positioning the press to drill a single hole on one side and then just flipping your work to drill the same hole on the other side of the your work. I set the press up to cut this first groove 7/16" down from the edge. To cut the other side I just flip it.
    [​IMG]

I did that flipping thing for all these grooves. They are all dead on:) But check it out,... the grooves, there's to many! LOL. I want to stagger the brackets keep them as close as possible like in the second pic I posted but I guess I was tired and had them side to side. I dont know. Whatever.
    [​IMG]

Very cool. Need to sand away that burr.
    [​IMG]

Better.
    [​IMG]

Look how on that is,... totally happy with this.
    [​IMG]

All drawn out and center punched. Needs to be drill now. I'm contemplating whether I should drill the holes for the retaining acrylic rods now or do it after I have it bent with one straight drill right through both. If I do it now,... and then bend, the holes will be off from each other a bit. but atleast the holes will be where they are suppose to be. I might have to do some adjusting. Might be tideous. Or I can bend the entire thing and then set it up in the press and drill straight through both of them. the holes will be aligned with each other but,... I dont know. I might drill after I bend.
    [​IMG]

Start fixng these xPO's too,... they had the bad seal too but they were pretty good compared to others. I had to heat these to get them open where the other I could just tear open. Going to remake them anyways. Shouldn't take long.
    [​IMG]

18. FrooP

FrooP can I eat this?

i aksed for permission @ thebestcasescenario.com.. i have some german acrylic GS rods.. good thing is that they are 1 meter long.. the res is 9 cm high.. so enough stuff to practice

19. Cheapskate

I like the grooves. Doing an entire case with that look would be cool. (-stores idea in head for future use...)
    The problem with drilling the parts together is the burr might keep you from seperating the parts afterward, so it has to be done as the last step. (You probably know that...)
    Watch out with that sleep deprivation. I lost a very good friend that way. He fell asleep driving home from work early one morning.

20. tribaloverkill

OOOOHH! I know what your talking about now! I confused you with another guy. There was this guy who was trying to cheese off my stuff, to make and sell and I wasn't cool with that. He was calling his EFX. So when you said that, I thought it was him asking for help.

I did a search over at TBCS and remember. You making a res for your own personal use. I gotcha.

So,... to answer your questions. I use regular drill bits man:) Some are altered though. I also use a uni-bit and boring bits too.

If you are using a cordless drill to do all your drilling,... then you need to alter most of your bits. The really tiny bits you dont have to but above 1/8" you should. The bits will gouge or carve their way through. This means tearing which means cracks. Drilling by hand you wont be able to regulate how fast you feed the bit into the acrylic. You will be fighting(pulling) to keep the bit from carving itself into the acrylic. If you alter the bits,... they wont gouge and pull. You will be pushing comfortably to drill. If altered right you should hear a nice hissing noise and see acrylic ribbons forming from drilling.

The alteration is basically flattening the cutting edge of the bit so that is scrapes instead of gouging. It's the gouging that breaks the acrylic. You want to scrape. smaller bits are fine the way they are because they dont remove enough material to cause damage. but large bits should be altered. I mean you dont have to alter them,... if you dont then you need to seriously step drill, going from one size to the next until you reach the size you need. I would only do this with a drill press too. If you alter the bits and do it right,... you dont need to step drill and you dont need a drill press either. One bit makes one hole:)

Most breakage occurs just when the tip of the bit passes through the other side of the acrylic. So pass through the other side slowly.

Melting occurs most when you try and drill straight through with one shot. Whats happening is you you are not letting the shavings out o fhte hole. They are going round and round causing friction and its that what is causing the melting. Also,... if you are drilling a TON of holes,... your bit will heat up too. enough to start melting holes. Use a tiny bit of water to lube and cool. Not much. just a tiny. When I drill acrylic,... my RPM is high as hell! For those last acrylic bracket thingies I made,... they were cut and drilled at 3000rpm! Why? Because when the bit is spinning that fast,... it makes smaller cuts with more passes. I basically drill a bit, maybe 1/8" at a time and then pull back to let the shaving out. The drill bit should be free or shaving for every plunge. Drilling fast like this to helps cut down on the breakage that occurs when pushing the bit through the other side of your work.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2007