1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Novint Falcon Limited Edition

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Dec 2007.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Imagine holding a minigun or a .50 cal sniper rifle

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

3. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

System Shock 2. None of that happy-go-lucky 'following fairies around a big tree' crap.

Ok, it's not crap, Ocarina of Time is actually also an excellent game, but c'mon..

4. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

my response to the article: my sentiments exactly.

it looks bloody cool! but for that price, its a bit hard to justify..... altho, if sometime in the future, this gadget becomes as popular as other "extreme gamer" hardware (namely razer mouse/keyboard or logitech's high-end $100+ peripherals), then i'll probably pick it up.

5. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

I must say, i'm quite surprised to see this available commercially, its an advanced haptic device. I've had a play with some more expensive, larger versions of this, that were in development to be used for training surgeons without the need for an actual patient, the ones i used did have rotational feedback as well though. It is actually quite a simple concept, the problem is that it becomes a lot more technically difficult when you realise that you're actually applying a torque an not simply moving the arms, this means you can't use a normal electric motor and instead need a pretty good stepper motor and some rather expensive control systems for it. I'd love to have a play with one of these and get to grips with how it works.

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Looks really uncomfortable if you just hold it with your fingers, no wrist support >_<

7. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

so in HL2 does it replace the mouse (ie, where you're looking) or the keyboard/wasd (ie, where you're moving?)
    or both?

8. widmod

widmod Minimodder

second that

i wonder that if i would push the whole unit of the table, the feet dont look really stable and heavy :worried:

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

By default, the mouse, but it can be set to replace the keyboard too. You look and steer and aim with it.

10. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

11. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

interesting
    but it works more like a joystick than a mouse right, if you move it to the left the camera will pan to the left until you centre the thingy again?

the force feedback stuff looks awesome but looks like it will still lack the precision of a mouse

12. Mattakadeimos

Mattakadeimos What's a Dremel?

Why is it all the 'reviewers' on youtube sound like idiots. They're not reviewing for some no name website either, there's cnet and gamespot in there. I would have thought it would be prudent to have a decent grasp of the English language if you are telling other people about something. Both of the top two hits for this product are reviewed by simpletons.

Oh btw, the qwerty layout... Read this for some facts on that ;)
    http://dvzine.org/zine/01-toc.html

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

this thing looks like a december april fool

14. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

Design-wise, it reminds me of a certain game with portals...
    I'd really like to try it, it looks very promising, it has potential, but it won't necessarily be harvested.

15. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I don't think this will penetrate very deep into the gaming market, but I do see it having alot of applications in professional realm.

I'd still prefer using a spacemouse for FPS control, but that hasn't happened yet.

16. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I assume this device's history is in 3D modelling, where it would be fantastic.

proof-read much?

That was one of my first thoughts too.

17. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

Match this with one of those Buttkicker doo hickeys and you are really talking.

Mind you, the buttkicker only works with the sub output so it might have some weird effects.

18. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

Wouldn't it be five-axis, since you can tilt up and down as well as side to side? You can't twist, so it isn't six axis, but it's more than three.

19. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Wow... I want one :D

20. Voideka

Voideka What's a Dremel?

"Everyone forgets that the QWERTY keyboard was originally designed for typewriters and was created with the deliberate aim of slowing typists down to avoid jamming the hammers on a typewriter."

Everyone forgets because it's not actually true.

Tags: Add Tags