1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS Introduces the All-New Eee PC

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Guest-16, 31 Oct 2007.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

2. liquid_gen

liquid_gen What's a Dremel?

Its finally here!
    First impressions: its a lot smaller than i could really tell from pics but thats a good thing imo. Keyboards fine really, i seem to have gotten use to it already and this post is one of the first things i did on it. As for the screen: the size itself doesnt bother me but text can sometimes be annoying to read as i have to look quite a lot harder than i usually do.
    If you have any questions bout it id be happy to answer.

3. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

liquid: PICS!!!!!!!

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

8GB + XP one - 2008 in UK.

5. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I want one! :D

Ideal to dump in your bag and use on the train or somewhere you don't have access to a computer, or even just browsing the net from your sofa. All you need is a 2.5" hardrive for all your crap and your sorted :p.

I don't care about the argument that you can get a full size laptop for £100 more, the simple fact is it's a full size laptop to lug about and not everyone wants that.

www.channelflip.com/2007/11/01/asus-eee-pc

6. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i thought the ones out at the moment were capable of running xp?

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Any indication on which quarter? Regardles, it's my mind made up. I think the 8GB ones are going to be a larger form factor anyway, and the current ones seem awesome.

Now I just need to figure out a way to get the £200 and pick up a black one.

Very. The discs that come with them even have all the neccesary drivers and everything. They just don't stick the lisences on because that'd raise the price by up to 50% - something fairly undesirable on a low price lappy.

W00t.

8. liquid_gen

OK i want to post pics for you guys. Do i need to use some 3rd party site or is there a way i can upload em on here

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I don't know what happened to your other post (you double posted, but for some reason both were deleted). Anyway, which model did you get, where from, how much, what colour. Pleased with colour? Does yours have a hole in between the screen and the unit, between the hinges or is there a solid bar between the hinges at the join between the screen and keyboard bit.

Use www.imageshack.us for images.

Is the battery pretty tiny physically? Also, does it say on it what capacity or type of battery it is?

I'm ridiculously close to buying one of these things for myself even though my actual need of a laptop is very low. This thing is too damn cool :(

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No idea what quarter - Asus came in today for a chin-wag and it's basically what TW decide, when they decide it.

11. liquid_gen

I got the white model with 4GB SSD and 512MB of RAM. Its got a bar at the hinges and i bought it from RM.
    Also, if anyone else has one, could you tell me if you've been able to get it to run in desktop mode. I click on the desktop mode button but it doesnt do anyway.
    ill post pics as soon as i can.

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Did you have to order it ages ago to get it from RM? They've been giving ETA's of the 19th onwards for the last few days when I've been looking. I figured they hadn't had any in yet.

Bindi: TW = Taiwan, correct?

13. liquid_gen

Im not exactly sure how long ago it was...
    Might have been around last monday and it arrived in about 3 days but I had it delivered to my sister's as RM only seem to sell to students / schools etc so i had to wait for someone to bring it over. So my aunt came back from visiting my sister today and she brought it.

In addition to my question above i was also wondering if someone could help me with regards to installing programs. I tried to install limewire (the Debian/Ubuntu edition) but it asked me it needed to be done as root and asked me for a command to become root and that the default was sudo so what exactly do i type as the command?

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

'fraid I'm not nixxy enough to help you with your questions. Perhaps get in touch with Glider, he's about as godly as it gets for nix on here IIRC.

Million dolla question: After initial impressions, to buy or not to buy?

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I really want one of these, I'd get the 4GB model and buy a nice big 4 or 8GB flash drive to go with it

Weren't they supposed to sell for $200USD but they jacked up the price at that last sec.???

16. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

You use sudo to run any commands you want as root, for example if I wanted to download and install the exaile media player I could type;

sudo aptitude install exaile

It would then ask you for your password, search the repositories download and install the software into it's relevant location including any dependencies.

Once you get used to it you will never go back.

17. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Yes, they clam it was due to the increase in the cost 7inch screens amongst other things

18. Mnet_Gaming

Mnet_Gaming What's a Dremel?

Ah Great, i've been playing with Windows XP For Legacy Machines. Anyone else tried this flavour of Windows (its based on XP Embedded, but its supposed to be usable)

19. jfab199+

jfab199+ What's a Dremel?

Will there be a review on bit-tech?
    Also on newegg they have the 4g surf and the 8g(not released but taking pre-orders) I am curious to see the difference between the 8g and the 4g

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Tbh, I don't see any good reason to switch to XP yet Mnet_Gaming, and I'm someone who's lived on windows since Win 95. This OS does everything I want it to from a machine of its capabilities, and it's actually quite enjoyable following the easy guides online to customise the OS a little bit.

Jfab199+, interestingly enough the difference between the 8GB one and the 4GB one is that the 8GB one has an 8GB disk drive and the 4GB one has a 4GB disk drive, funny that eh? :p - Also the 8GB comes with 1GB of ram as standard, with the 4GB one coming with only 512MB but that's easily user-upgradable (possibly at the cost of your warrenty, depending on location) or by paying a registered dealer to up it. Personally, I'm not concerned by the fact that 8GB ones are coming out. 8GB still isn't much, what I'm much more interested in is the Class 6 32GB SDHC cards being released next. Stick one of those things in your Eee PC and you go from having a measily 4GB drive to a respectable 36GBs of space to use. That's almost in real laptop territory.

Any questions anyone wants to ask, I'll answer to the best of my ability.