1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

antivirus for vista and mac

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by sotu1, 9 Dec 2007.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

hey guys,

just wondering if you had any suggestions for anti virus programmes for my Vista desktop and also for my OSX Mac?

I know people dont normally suggest antivirus for mac, but they're arrogant fanboys who'll get bitten in the ass one day and i dont wanna be one of them!

2. OleJ

OleJ Me!

AVG Free for windows.

Mac user myself but dunno of any anti-vir. A good firewall I can recommend on the mac though is "Little Snitch", it's user friendly and effective.

The list of stuff that'll get you infected on windows is long, but if you don't install shady stuff, keep away from IE and use a good firewall then you're pretty much in the clear if you ask me. But hey even though I've never been infected (brains and luck) I still runnti-virus on my win machines.

3. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

NOD32 for the PC, and keep me in touch about any good AV for OSX...

4. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

avg:)

5. Seth

Seth What's a Dremel?

i don't think i would bother with antivirus on the mac.

6. koola

koola Minimodder

lol

Don't visit warez/p0rn sites and you'll never need av.

7. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Dunno about you, I still rather not take the risk. Better safe than sorry imo.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

AVG Free edition... but it DOES slow down your widows startup as it perform a scan on some system files before they startup. By slow I mean up to 3 times slower (again it depends on your system).

The best I found (but you have to pay), and serious reviews support my opinion, is Kaspersky. I recommend to get the Internet security version, as, for like 15-20$ (I have to check the price again) more then the anti-virus virus, you get internet security, which offers decently flexible features on my taste and does a very good job. Also it doesn't slow ANYTHING down, your system is always fast, even when you download/uploads stuff and surf the web.

@koola, I already visited some sites, real sites, even good reviews sites and such and I the second I visited them, I had (at the time, when I was using the trial period) Kaspersky pop-up and alerted me of a Trojan-horse found in Firefox cached. I removed it, did a complete scan, reboot and scan, it was totally gone. The second I revisit the side, and ONLY that site at the moment, again same thing happen. The next day, the site was safe. That specific situation was not the first time, it occurred to me (when I had AVG Free edition) on other sites, the problem is in this case AVG only alerts me when you visit the folder or do a system scan.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2007
  9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

sigh...like i said, fanboys who are arrogant dont believe in AV. i used to use AVG but it buggered up my bioshock game, so im not overkeen on using that again. not only that, but another AV prog was recommended but i cant for the life of me remember what it was called. i'll try little snitch, cheers for that tip

any other suggesgtions for AV mac and vista?

10. OleJ

OleJ Me!

There is Clam Antivirus which is free and multi-platform. It performs pretty well in reviews IIRC. I've used it on a linux server and even an XP machine a couple years back. It may still be a bit quirky to use, but I remember it as light and unobstructive.

Oh yeah and it's apparently available for the Mac as well: http://www.clamxav.com/

Edit: Dunno if they've added online protection, but it wasn't there last I tried it. Again: Just keep away from the dark side Luke and you will be fine.

Also you may have been recommended NOD32 for Vista?

/cheers

11. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i don't believe in antivirus whether i am running windows, mac or linux. careful browsing is the best antivirus. i'm definitely not a fanboy, but i may be arrogant.

i run avg on other people's computers though. it seems to work all right, even if it does suck up some resources. nexxo was pimping some lightweight alternative in the crap apps thread, try reading through that.

12. monkeybone

monkeybone What's a Dremel?

I use Avast on Vista and it works like a charm. As for Mac, no idea... sorry.

Monkeybone

13. xion

xion Minimodder

2nd here... Avast all the way, effective, small footprint, and free... but it does scare the bejebus outa you when it finds somthing "Dont panic!"... (as klaxions boom out with flashing radiation signs) :D

14. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Call me a fanboy as much as you like, but common sense is the best AV you'll ever find...

I use Linux, that helps a lot... but on my Windows PC (which is running ever since 2000 or so) I never got a virus, and it's being used by the whole family. 1 hour of explaining how to use Firefox and not to open dodgy things == no need for an AV...

15. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

IIRC, there has been a grand total of two (failed) viruses for OS X which were both well publicised before they became a viable threat.

16. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Did a bit of searching, and you can get Norton and Sophos for OSX. You can also get ClamXav, which is free. Only thing is it hasn't got official Leopard support yet (although the build for Tiger works fine).