1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD now worth less than it paid for ATI

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Dec 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Oh dear. I do hope they can make a recovery. If they go down the pan the IT industry is screwed - Intel can charge whatever it likes.

4. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

Intel can't let AMD go down because then it has a monopoly on the market, which could be a bigger headache for them then having AMD around.
    Goverment - Monopoly = Bad

5. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

I dunno, seems like AMD has been in Intel's shadow since AMD's founding. But in the CPU market it has struck at the core of Intel with better processors until Core 2 came out.

Granted, the numbers seem wide. But remember that AMD just makes CPUs and now GPUs. Intel powers much, much more than just computers, where AMDs market is much more narrow. Intel makes much much more than just CPUs. AMD does not.

Not trying to be a fanboy by any means. I have used AMD for a long time now. They have until now given competitive power against higher priced Intel offerings. The merger cost them a lot, in the end with 1/2 the GPU market in their hands they could in time be quite a force. In the end I go with whatever is best at the time. Though I do like choice, I hope AMD doesn't throw in the towel.

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

AMD are investing too much in new untried technologies and getting very poor returns in terms of performance.

7. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

AMD: now worth 1/3rd of Facebook (roughly founder Mark Zuckerberg's entire share). Awesome.

8. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Hopefully its just a cyclical thing, and maybe one day they will release a new CPU thats at least AS good as C2D :worried:

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

if they sink we are screwed.....

10. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

Not neccesarily, until the first Athlon, AMD released almost direct clones of the Intel CPUs, often cheaper, but also slower. Arguably it wasn't until the Athlon 64 that AMD had a decisive advantage over Intel.

In my opinion, Intel won't let AMD sink. Intel haven't exactly been persuing the budget area agressively, leaving AMD a valuable niche, the very same niche AMD have always traditionaly filled. Intel have been targeting the top-end though, making it clear they are the market leader. AMD may not become super-powerful again, but they will certainly still be around.

NV also haven't aggressively targetted ATI, the 8800 hasn't exactly had much of a follow-up since it's launch. No company wants to lose the other, simply because then they would become a monopoly and that's far worse than having a competitor because then the government steps in and destroys your company.

11. mutznutz

mutznutz Cos Ive got a beard u label me evil

They should have a scheme similar to the one laptop per child .. buy one AMD processor, give another away ... just to help them out

I'd hate to see AMD go ... I was hoping phenom would be good enough to get them out of the funk they're in ... ahh well

12. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Ummm... just because their share price is crap doesn't [yet] mean the company is doomed, calm down people.

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

whattttttttttt that is just insane ... (!)

14. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

time to invest ladies......

15. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

yep we are........ IBM / VIO CPU F-T-W!!!! and SIS graphics all the way!!!!!!:rock:

16. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

Not sure about you guys,

but i am waiting for a further dip in AMD shares after quad-core starts appearing in the middle product range... before purchasing a "chunk" of AMD shares. AMD gross margins for key products will be hit pretty hard in the next 12 months.

Best time to buy is coming up i think.

What is interesting is not the current or soon-to-be available CPUs, but something else in 12-18 months time in the area of DDR3.

17. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Ouch ....

18. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

Well if you want to keep them around, buy their products.

19. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

but their products suck.............

20. kempez

kempez modding again!

They do not suck. OK they're not up to Intel performance (yet he says with his fingers crossed), but they don't "suck" by a long margin.

AMD die = very bad for the industry

Tags: Add Tags