1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. scooby

scooby Minimodder

:clap::lol::thumb: HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!! :thumb::lol::clap:

Just wanted to wish you and your family a safe and (if you can help it) sober holiday. Hohohohohooooo!!!!:naughty:

@Nix, excellent work bro. That is one tiny board.

@Valdisnei, 7mb!!!!! WOW! High details is a understatment.:lol: Beautiful model...keep it up m8. I try to remove the fisheye look by stepping back my camera about 3'-4' from my target and zooming in a bit. I also make sure that my lens is dead center of the target too. Because of this you can not really get away from your image having that fisheye prospective but you can reduce it a lot with some prep and good lighting and Photochopping.

Tip:

Statistics
    The Statistics panel allows you to troubleshoot performance issues in SketchUp. This panel displays information about the type and number of drawing elements in your model and allows you to perform verifications on your model.

[​IMG]

Entire Model and Components
    The Entire Model and Components options in the drop-down list box allow you to toggle between displaying statistics for your entire model and displaying statistics related only to components. The Components option is useful for generating a tally of the number of certain components used in your model (such as the number of a particular part in an assembly).

Show Nested Components
    Click the Show nested components checkbox to include individual elements within placed components in the statistics totals.

Purge Unused*
    Click the Purge Unused button to remove any unused components, materials, image objects, layers, and other extraneous information from your file.

Fix Problems
    Click the Fix Problems button to find minor issues with your SketchUp model due to the infinite flexibility that SketchUp provides when designing in 3D. Click the Fix Problems button to scan your model, and report and fix any problems. This option checks for several cases, including:

-faces bounded by properly connected edges.
    -vertices of faces are on the same plane.
    -edges bounding a face are in the same component.
    -faces do not have zero area size.
    -start and end points of an edge are not the same.

*I use this alot, it helps clean and reduce file size a little. Try it and sometimes you can see your file size reduce substanually. You can find it at Window>Model info and select "Statisics".

@DeltaFX, if you have a licenced copy you can get the upgrade, if not you can use the free version that you can download from their site. You will have a hard time finding components for SU4...so a upgrade is a must. Good luck my friend and keep us posted on the outcome.

I'm finishing up my ASUS Maximus Motherboard and should have it up soon.

The Scoob:thumb:

2. DeltaFX

DeltaFX What's a Dremel?

Because I can't. My laptop is dead so I work on the ancient Win98se machine, usually used to test compatibility between platforms. And only sketchup 4 works on win98.

3. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Sorry to hear about your laptop DeltaFX, maybe Santa will get you a new one with Windows XP or Vista installed. Joking aside, I hope you get it all fixed up or a new laptop.

Okay, got a new one for the collection.

ASUS Maximus Formula SE
    [​IMG]

Monchrome view, as much details as I can get. File size is 8.48Mb
    [​IMG]

Minus the heatpipes and heatsinks.
    [​IMG]

Mr. Jez will have it up soon...Thanks:thumb:

4. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

very nice models scooby !

here's my latest model, not 100% finished :

[​IMG]

I'll post it when it's finished

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

^^^AC double impact???

6. Dark~3nergy

nope, Twinplex XT :)

I send it jezmck soo it will soon be up .

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

You know they have a Twinplex Di now?

8. Dark~3nergy

yeah I saw it on aquacomputer.de and it looks realy nice.

9. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

apologies for the delays everyone, I will put up the new items soon, you can shout at me if I haven't by Saturday.

10. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

somewhat looked like a double impact to me, AC parts look great

11. scooby

scooby Minimodder

No apologies needed Jez, you get them in when you can. We all get busy this time of year.

@Dark~3nergy, love your new build, its looking awesome. When you have the time can you post your SU model here and a pic of the finished case when its done. I think it would be an inspiration to us all. Can't wait to see you finished block too...keep it up m8!!!!:thumb:

12. DeltaFX

DeltaFX What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure Santa will be great help on this (dead laptop ) cause it's already slated he'll help me with my car and its damn expensive distribution's belt swap (700€ : 1050$) (never ever again buy a peugeot !!! )

So, could some one export to DWG or DXF the file linked in my first post and mail it to faucheraux(at)wanadoo.fr ?

Thanks in advance

Tom.

Last edited: 13 Dec 2007
  13. marcus000

marcus000 Watercooling Mad

I'm not 100% this is the right section for discussing but I just wana ask about exporting Sketchup files into 2D CAD drawings.

I've been designing some rad grills in Sketchup which i'm gonna laser cut.
    I draw them up in 2D in Sketchup then export to files to DXF or DWG. Then I have been loading them into Illustrator to tidy them up and add text etc.

Once finished there I re-export to DXF or DWG and I emailed them to my laser cutters however they don't like the files i'm sending. They said that there is a lot of faults in the drawings and there should be 1 geometry for each cutout.

Any ideas what is going wrong with them?

14. Dark~3nergy

Thank you scooby :D

here's the GTR model (still not 100% finished) :

http://www.box.net/shared/4s94m5ijnl

to anyone that will use this model, do not post it anywere else or "copy" it whitout my authorization . :nono:

15. scooby

scooby Minimodder

@DeltaFX, I'll see what I can do for you, I'm a little busy right now but as soon as I have some free time I'll convert those file for you. If anyone else can do it for our friend before I can please do so and let us know you have done the job. Thanks:rock:

@marcus000, I did the same thing but I only designed the grills in SU then gave it to a friend that cleaned it up in CAD and preped the .DWG file for the lasercutter.

From my understanding when designing in SU it produces straight lines even for curved surfaces, in CAD a circle would be produced in one rounded line where as in SU it would make several straight sections to produce the same circle. So when exporting the SU file to .DWG or .DXF and then opening it in CAD you would have to almost reconstruct the 2D model again to reduce it from making the lasercutter preform stop-start cutting.

I know you have seen this when opening the file in CAD. AS an example make a 2D circle in SU save it to a .DWG file and open it up in CAD, now in the same page draw a circle using the tool in CAD and you will see a difference in the two circels.

Have you tied to just create them in Illustrator then save/export .DWG file to CAD? I have never tried that but you can give it a go.

I hope this make some sence to you in understanding how SU works with other apps. I'll see if I can get my buddy to give me more info that I can pass along to you. In the mean time here are some of my work.

This is a SU sample and like Dark~3nergy said...please done not copy them whitout my authorization.
    [​IMG]

The one above and this one are the new design that can fit on top of ThermoChill and Swiftech radiators. You can check them out at FrozenCPU.com
    [​IMG]
    Photo from FrozenCPU.com

Here are some early test grills.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes guys all designed in SU by me and my buddy and marketed by Kikboxes.;)

I was waiting to bust this out and share this with you guys for awhile but because we were in the production stage I could not say anything til now. Hope you understand and enjoy them.

Scooby:thumb:

16. marcus000

Yeh I get you 100%, I actually went down to my laser cutters today and looked at the files with them.

I just found out the exact same thing as what you just explained today, SU exports curved corners into lots of little lines which obviously is no good for the laser.
    We spent about half an hour going through my drawings and cleaning them up in CAD.

With regards to Illustrator, it's pretty good for doing stuff like text as you can just enter your text then convert it into outlines. From there you can fine tune the letters to make them workable for lasering (i.e. joining the letters up)

17. scooby

scooby Minimodder

I hope SU will fix this on their new version but I thing that may be a long shot because of how SU is design to work mainly as a presentaion 3D app. Basiclly you will have to do this process every time you want to export to CAD, the good new is that at least SU allows you to export to CAD and other type of files.

Great work on your V2000 Watercooled project, what is the size of your tubing? It look like 5/8", I'm asking cause I'm interested in you flow meter you have. I'm using 1/2" ID tubing and would like to add one to my loop. Would you like to post and add your SU model of your Lian Li V2000 case? I think it would be a great addition to the collection.

Keep us updated on your fan grill I would love to see the final product.

On another note, how many of you guys are running SU on Vista 64? Are you having any issues?:)

18. marcus000

Yeh they really could do with addressing the problem but I wouldn't hold much hope either.
    As you probably know, the main problems that show up are:
    A) the holes for fan screwse
    B) the corners of the grills themselves

To avoid me having to correct this each time, i've given my laser guys a blank 120, 240 & 360 template to work with and then all I need to do is email them the insides. That make sense to you?

Regarding V2000, that SU model isn't mine, I just found it on the net somewhere and put it to good use so I can't take any credit for it.
    The tubing is 1/2" XSPC tubing, it's got quite a thick wall which gives it the very chunky appearance.

The grill's im doing are mainly just logos for whenever I do a custom build for someone (like the 3 rig's in my sig for example). I'm gettin some lasered on Monday so i'll get back to you then.

These are some straight forward stripe ones we did out of 2mm stainless and then polished up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. scooby

scooby Minimodder

SketchUp Update:

http://sketchup.google.com/gsu6/download.html

Release Notes -Google SketchUp 6 for Windows - Maintenance Release 4
    last updated 12/12/2007

Please note that these release notes apply to both versions of Google SketchUp: Google SketchUp 6 and Google SketchUp Pro 6.

SketchUp version 6.4.112
    LayOut version 1.0.1199

For Additional Information:
    The Google SketchUp Help Center has articles that will answer your questions and provides a search capability so you can look for issues of interest. To visit the Help Center, feel free to check out http://sketchup.google.com/support/
    Our download page at http://www.sketchup.com/?section=downloads provides you with some additional software, including some Ruby scripts and additional components that can be used with SketchUp Pro 6.
    The 3D Warehouse provides models from other SketchUp users that you can download and use! You can also place your models in the warehouse at http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ for others to see!

System Requirements: Please visit http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=36208

AutoCAD 2007 Support:
    The major thrust of maintenance release 4 is support for AutoCAD 2007 DWG import and export.

Other Fixes
    We also made a few other fixes for localization purposes.
    There was one Ruby fix that also supports the AutoCAD 2007 initiative which is the ability to suppress results dialog box on DWG export.

Scoob:thumb:

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Schwa-wingggg! Nice grills! :D

Scooby: I may have to talk to you when I'm ready to export my computer case to a list of components for CNC-ing and laser cutting.