1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick RAID question

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Muffins17, 14 Dec 2007.

1. Muffins17

Muffins17 What's a Dremel?

Just want to double check, its my first time with raid, when i ormat the hard drives do i format first then put the raid drivers on, or put the raid drivers on then partition them and that.

A bit mroe of an in depth answer than i'm asking for, on the whole raid setup process, would also be much more appreciated.

Thanks! :D

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

On a HW RAID, you first create the array, partition it if required, and then format...

3. Muffins17

Thanks.

When do the drivers come in? After partitioning, before formating? Or after format, before OS install?

4. JoeJones

JoeJones What's a Dremel?

Drivers will come into play during OS install...you may need them or may not..depends on OS and HW RAID controller used.

5. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 What's a Dremel?

Check your motherboard instructions. I had to create my partition using my raid controller before going into windows install, then as soon as you get to the windows install screen, hit f6 and wait, it will eventually prompt you to put a disk in to install the drivers. After that, you format the drives when installing windows on the partition.

6. Muffins17

Sweet, cheers for the help guys. I feel enlightened.

Anyone got a rough figure for waht i can expect for an increase in load speed (decrease in load times), compared to a singel drive of the same kind?

Thanks

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

None... Load speeds are determined by seek times, which don't increase a single thing... You have just been fooled by the RAID 0 myth...

EDIT: if you want faster loads, defrag your disk ;)

8. Major

Major Guest

Blimey, I was just about to ask the same question on the forums.

Think I'll get a freind to do it all though as I have no clue about RAID0 setting up. :)

9. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

At this point, the only thing a stripe array is good for is if you have a bunch of smaller drives and want to have one large drive or partition. There are no discernible speed differences. If you want that, defrag often and/or buy a Raptor. ;)

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

If you have no idea what a RAID 0 array is/does, better stay away from it...

11. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

and if you do, your better off staying away from it

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

If you do, you would never use it ;)

13. Muffins17

Alright, might keep it as two seperate 500's, but i do want 3 partitions, so it would make that awkward with sizes, but easier, we'll see eh. Might buy some raptors