1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Teybers Rotary Single Stage

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Teyber, 24 Dec 2007.

1. Teyber

Teyber ******

hello all! finally getting to a stage in this process, where i am starting to work. I still have so many things to buy and make, but i will start. This thread is pre-mature, but if you have followed any of my other work threads you will know i post lots of pictures. I am still waiting on condensers from nol and a mill for evaps, and some other odd-and end things.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What you see here is:
    robinair 15600 vacuum pump(+oil)
    30lb recovery tank
    recovery unit(+filter)
    uei dt-200 thermometer
    15% brazing rods
    2 core removers
    1 core removal
    spring benders
    bending tool
    2 pipe cutters
    schrader valves
    ball valve
    cap tube cutter
    anti-blowback valves
    and several other things.
    [​IMG]
    What you see here is 60 cubic feet of nitrogen with a nice regulator. In future i will invest in a flowmeter regulator in addition, but this is more then fine for purging now. this should be great for pressure/leak testing:up:
    [​IMG]
    50 feet of .25" refrigeration tubing, 10 feet of .031" cap tube, and 12 feet of .04" cap tube. (yes, very un-restrictive:up: )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here is a mapp torch, oxy/mapp torch, oxy/mapp/propane bottles, flux, brazign rods, helmet and gloves. i actually have a oxygen acetylene kit on the way which will be very fun!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and last but not least, 2 compressors i have here, and desup... The desuperheater is made of about 60" of .25" tubing. Its crooked *cough* on purpose to increase surface area? :ROTF: :ROTF: ill straiten it out. I was having a hard time not getting the bending to crip while bending it around some 2.25" aluminum solid stock i had, so i had to do it by eye. the two compressors are a 5k btu rechi compressor, and a 5.5k btu LG hero compressor. The rechi is much smaller and is brand new, i will be using it(most likely) on this build. The LG is a stronger compressor, but it lost a lot of un-measured oil when i had my little r-22 accident:ROTF: and it think it would be a very discouraging first build to use it. Once i get the condensers i will be starting this build.

P.S. total price in tools so far is 1750$ :rofl: and still need to get my 608 license, refrigerant, and other small things. Variac is on way, load tester is almost done. Will post pics of that when done.

P.P.S. Might swap compressor out to a matsu$hita 1/2hp rotary, or might incorporate one of those into another build.

Regards

Last edited: 30 Mar 2008
  2. Teyber

Teyber ******

another thing, i would like to thank these people for some amazing help, answering repetitive questions, and teaching me valuable safety lessons:
    drewmeister
    jinu
    tim
    wdrzl
    sneil
    starkiller
    killermiller

and many, many more....

I forgot to include my manifold in the pic, its a JB 4 valve manifold. i will post it up sometime....

regards

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Man! You don't like to do anything halfway.:eeek:
    Coils are easier if you have a tube or pipe the diameter you want the coils to be. I'm a big fan of spray paint cans for bending this stuff. Since you are going BIG again, you might want to get a cardboard pylon mold for concrete work. They are big cardboard tubes you can club baby seals with.:D

4. dshankar

dshankar What's a Dremel?

:O You're parents let you buy $2k worth of phase change stuff, just like that!? And they didn't take it all away after the r22 accident?! Wowzers! ;)

5. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

i think i missed the r22 accident.... it doesnt sound good though...
    but the rest of the setup is great.

6. Teyber

Teyber ******

thanks! yeah i don't skimp on things, or at least i try not to. Good call on spray cans... I think i need to heat the tubing a little bit before too. What do you mean cardboard pylon mold for concrete work? not gettin that...
    yeah, i have a large amount of money invested, and i usually buy with that what i need. That accident was a bumemr though

I was cutting out the LG compressor from a window ac... i had it all hooked up to a recovery unit, and the piercing valves literally blew up and got r-22/oil all over me and i had to go to the doctor as my eyes got acidic oil in them:wallbash: lucky it wasn't alkybenzene or poe in the refrigerant...:clap:

7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Mucho gusto on the build, bro! NoL's stuff is top notch, you will not be displeased...

Best of luck, I may come knocking at your door one day if this turns out well...

8. Teyber

Teyber ******

sounds good mate:clap: if you live near L.A... i might take that seriously:hehe:
    Nol makes good stuff... best for price IMO. Jinu/drewmeister are top notch also (drew... man... what can i say! http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=260259 )
    Will update some things hopefully tomorow, not much work available. Still considering a case or not... i think i will just mount it on plywood and airbrush it.

regards

9. OvRiDe

OvRiDe What's a Dremel?

Just a little tip if you don't already know.. if you fill the copper tubing with salt or fine sand, it will keep it from kinking on you when your bending it. The size of the tubing your using might not make a difference, but I learned the hard way, when trying to run a much thinner copper line for an oil pressure gauge on my Camaro.:rolleyes: Salt may be a better option. Since it dissolves with water, it might be easier to get it all cleaned out of the tubes when your finished bending.

Hope this helps and really looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

10. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

I hope they have told you that acetylene is explosive in almost any concentration of mixing with air (1.5-82 volume %), so be damn sure you turn the gas off properly and that you don't have any leaks!!! We don't want you to have an accident with this stuff (you will remove a large part of the building if you do)!!! :eeek: :waah: :nono:

Be safe and good luck with this awesome project!! :rock:

11. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

i will be following this one closely and dont blow yourself up teyber! lol good luck man :thumb:

12. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

This looks like it will be very interesting. I have almost no idea how to phase change cool a PC. Will pay close attention to this thread.

13. Teyber

Teyber ******

that sounds great, however with phase change you cannot have any sort of contaminants in the loop... It must be pure, un-oxidized copper. Luckily we have filter driers that take out some of the things, usually flakes of oxidation from not purging :wallbash:, and usually connected to the high side schrader valve. Those don't take out everything, but i think i will pre-heat before i bend next time... good suggestion though!
    thank you! yes i know that acetylene is extremely explosive:worried:. Good point on the leaks! i think i will just plain remove the regulator from the cylinder period when not using, and any that leaks from removing (like if you have ever took off a mapp bottle from a torch, just a tiny "poof" and it either goes away or a striker usually handles it...) will be handled by the striker method said before.
    Thank you! I will try not to blow myself up... I came pretty close, almost went blind:wallbash:...
    Thanks! i will try to post some explanations then and when i get parts in i will describe them. In the picture are 2 compressors... They basically "pump" or compress a gas to extreme pressures. It then goes out, very hot, and goes either into the condenser, or in my case into the desuperheater. The desuperheater is a coil of tubing that cools the refrigerant, and then goes into the condenser where the gas is cooled into a mostly liquid state, however its mostly liquid/gas combination. That is where i am now... I will keep explaining as i and make progress.
    regards everybody, and have a happy x-mas! (i would say holiday... but Hanuka already passed)

peace

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Hardware stores sell heavy-duty cardboard tubes you fill with concrete to cast pylons, like the ones they put light posts on in parking lots. They are designed to hold hundreds of pounds of 'crete, and are nearly indestructible. You could make a BIG coil with one.:D

OvRiDe's trick is good, but remember to cap the ends so the sand doesn't squish out when bending.

15. Teyber

Teyber ******

cheapskate: will look into that :D
    i have a couple more pics for you guys.

[​IMG]
    First, i fixed the nitrogen tank:up:
    [​IMG]
    second, here is where i was on evap untill my lathe died:shakes:
    [​IMG]
    There is my in-process load tester. I think im going to re-lap it and change insulation. need to add a grounding screw and solder in my thermal cutoff/thermal fuse. Also note that huge hunk of copper:up: its crying for a mill... (evaps)
    [​IMG]
    there is the front of my JB 4 valve manifold. This thing is friggin awsome:up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the rear. You screw in the un-used ends of the hoses here:up:

Regards! and happy holidays!
    p.s. sorry for blurry nitrogen pic...

16. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

looks good mate.

17. Teyber

Teyber ******

well, my variable transformer just came! sawheeet!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It has a distinctive smell that doesn't smell healthy... and has "made in china" all over it. i bet its loaded with led :ROTF: had to block something out of the second picture, you weren't supposed to see it lol. Its a 5 amp -130v variable transformer. 5a will give me lots of headway for say a waterchiller load tester. But i really want to tune this baby to perfection, so im not skimping on load testing.

Regards! merry x-mas eve.

Reed

18. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Safety goggles are your friend!

Phew, I'm glad to see that you at least appear to know what you're doing. Glad you've secured your N2 tank. What happened to your lathe?!!

19. Teyber

Teyber ******

Kept blowing fuses, then i see a large electrical spark and im pretty sure the speed control blew up. Everytime after it would go to the maximum RPM even in the "low" gear:wallbash: Got my money back for it and i am ordering a x3 mill, and a rotary table on the way. I know i swear by safety goggles, but i was just setting up piercing valves, nothing was running> Still no excuse, but the pressure just blew the darn things apart and sprayed acidic oil all in my face...

I will post some pics of something soon...

Merry christmas!

20. Teyber

Teyber ******

alright guys, my main new-years resolution that affects this thread ( i have many :p ) is to get my epa 608 full certification. So i will be able to handle and purchase all refrigerants including low and high pressure refrigerants. Tomorrow i am going to make a conscious effort to buy the course work and study information, and will take the the test hopefully between January 2-7th...

Merry x-mas all!