1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple patents iNanny for iPods

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

yet another reason to add to the list of why I hate despise iPod's. On the odd occasion I'm roaming around outside, I like to have my mp3 player constantly at full volume with the volume controls being half way along my headphone cord, and usually have the headphones around my neck. the few times that I do put my headphones over my ears is when someone starts trying to strike up a conversation when I don't want to talk (which is most of the time when I'm busy), or when biking a short distance (can't drive - need to get my eyes fixed).

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it is insane the amount of kids that are becoming deaf because of their mp3 players around here......

4. Sark.inc

Sark.inc What's a Dremel?

Honestly, i can't blame them. :\

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

This 'feature' seems to assume that the iPod will only ever be used with headphones going directly from the device to your ears.
    So what about those who connect their iPods to the 'aux-in of their car radio? Or those who connect their iPods to their home entertainment systems through a mixer where the device-output-volume should preferably be as loud as possible without clipping?

A short-sighted idea that will annoy people more than help them, I feel.

And yet, while I disagree with this as an enforced 'feature', the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of people simply do listen to their iPods (or other audio devices) at ridiculous volumes, heedless of the damage they're doing to their own ears or the annoyance they cause to others in their vicinity.

This, coupled with using crappy, tinny in-ear headphones such as those bundled with the iPod and which deliver ridiculous amounts of useless, high-energy, high-frequency content to the ears during normal use lead me to believe that the incidences of middle-age deafness and other hearing problems are bound to soar within the next decade if not sooner.

I don't like the idea of an enforced system such as this, but then again, people have proven time and again that they're stupid and ignorant when it comes to matters of long-term health.

Smoking, alcohol-abuse, drugs, over-eating... music-abuse?

6. noobarino

noobarino What's a Dremel?

stupid Americans trying to sue everyone. look what you've done

7. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Waitaminute, they've patented normalisation?

VLC has had that for ages.

</nanny-stateism>

- H.

8. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Where did you get that from? It seems reasonably that Apple (being as they are in the audio game) might be working on this kind of system, and it therefore seems reasonable that they would patent it. It is a somewhat large leap of logic to assume that it will definitely feature on future iPods, and a bigger leap to assume that you won't be able to turn it off. I'm not going to call for Jobs' head at least until this is actually 'enforced'.

Besides, since I only listen to my music for short periods of time anyway, I very much doubt whether this would affect me.

It's interesting to note that in patent-speak, they call it "the iPod" which is A Good Thing. I'm sick of hearing about 'iPod' as if he's a person.

9. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

I personally feel this was need. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've been able to hear other people's crappy music blasting from their iPods as clear as day because they're too stupid to have it at a reasonable level.

10. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

:clap::rock:

Freakin A, No joke!
    I hate this hyper paranoid, bunch or conniving *******s!
    What happened to logic and ethic? :wallbash:

11. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

I agree, and I have to say that's possibly the worst article I've read on here.

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Well, what's the use of developing something (investing money in it), patenting it, and not using it? All fanboyism put aside, it seems reasonable that when a company invests in something, it will use it some day...

But I think Apple should invest in developing a decent earphone that sends the music inwards instead of outwards... Freaking hate it when I'm forced to listen to the newest junk music on the bus because someone who thinks he's cool sits 10 rows behind me...

13. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Hm.. yeh that's a pretty dumb article.
    Loads of products already have AVL systems, notably most sony portables. Generally you can turn it off if you really want to go deaf when you're older. Plus iPods already have a 'MVL' system, whereby you can set a maximum volume lower than the ultimate maximum. This isn't all that different to that, except someone at the factory will be deciding instead of you.

14. xion

xion Minimodder

It's not media players that bother me, its phones... why do people insist on playing "Chav FM" at full volume on theit mobiles wherever they are??? The real need is to ban external speaker routing of music on phones!!! [/rant]

15. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Oh God yes.

16. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

You may be surprised at the number of patents Apple (among other companies) hold and do not currently use for one reason or another.

I never said this technology wouldn't ever be used, but the article is using pure speculation to attack Apple. I'm not entirely sure what the article is supposed to achieve.

17. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Where is it attacking Apple? Because it states:
    ? Well, I 100% agree to this... iPhones and iPods aren't your property IMHO, you can only use them trough ways Apple wants.

Or maybe this?
    It clearly is formulated as a conclusion the author makes, and tells more about the US legal system then Apple...

A little off topic: I do agree that the band wagon people who jump onto the iPod float are quite dumb... IMHO iPods are plain ugly, overpriced and totally not userfriendly...

But please, point me out to the grusome attacks towards Apple that are unfounded in your eyes...

18. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

First sentence.

Of course the iPhone locking has absolutely nothing to do with protecting network providers investments in the iPhone, along with potential security issues.

Just as well you are also a global multi-award-winning designer as well then isn't it? Also, as an owner of a 1st generation iPod and Apple shareholder (personal jibe dodged there I think), I have to disagree that the millions of people buying one of the most popular and recognisable products are 'dumb'.

Can't see where I included the word gruesome in my reply, but hopefully things are a bit more clear now.

19. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I rest my case...

20. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

Good stuff.

Tags: Add Tags