1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: G5 Wannabe 30.12. 07. - lightning

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by eXplode, 16 Dec 2007.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Polystyrene. The stuff used in plastic models and toys. Also known as ABS. It's not proper acrylic plexi. The acetone will cloud it up just like the paint did.
    It's not your fault the plastic went bad.:D

2. eXplode

eXplode sound freak

@cheapskate Ok m8. Can u please post me some pic of the good stuff that i shoud use. The label. (Note that i cant get any of ac rayan stuff). Thx.

how do u avoid dirty loook and fingers sticking that hapens after sandpaper frosting?

like theese i had :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Dec 2007
  3. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Polystyrene is not the same as ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene), but it is true that both are used in toys and that acetone clouds clear polystyrene.

Polystyrene is for example used in plastic models (as Cheapskate said) and CD cases.
    ABS is used in stuff like LEGO, automotive body parts and piping.
    PMMA (Polymethyl methacrylate) is what is commonly referred to as acrylic glass or Plexi (glass).
    Polycarbonate is another type of transparent plastic. Used for stuff like glasses and as "bullet-resistant glass" (when laminated). It's more expensive than acrylic/plexi.

Here's some further reading for those interested: Common plastics and their uses =)
    ...to find out even more about each type:
    Polystyrene
    ABS
    PMMA/Acrylic
    Polycarbonate

@eXplode: excellent mod man! I cant believe the patience you have, drilling all those holes!! :eeek:
    [edit]
    Did some googling and found an archived thread on another forum discussing frosting: Frosting Acrylic
    [/edit]
    [edit 2]Added Polycarbonate just to clarify and confuse further :lol:[/edit 2]

4. E7130

E7130 Shinju

I would never have thought to make my own G5 case. This is wonderful, now with the cost of materials and time (trial and error) would it have been cheaper to just buy the case and mod it? However, there is the part of knowing that you made one from scratch. :)

5. widmod

widmod Minimodder

interesting IT has a name

6. eXplode

eXplode sound freak

@macros ooo, thanx 4 the info. niiice.

@E7130 well, - trial and error is good, cos im learning, and this was my primary goal, materials i used i already had, and were lying there collecting dust in my basment, so there is no real cost here. Screws, paint, sandpaper and acrylic, like ~ 60 $ altogether. and to buy new case from local distributer cost ~ 550$. Ebay is not an option, cos shipping cost is like ~ 250 from US. Lets say the cost will be 150$max at the end, and compare that to 550$+modding expences...

7. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Here are some tips for you:
    - wash your hands before working with acrylic :lol:
    - use a sanding block (no power tools here)
    - use waterproof/wet sandpaper
    1) put a generous amount of water on the plexi
    2) sand in one direction till you can see that the whole surface has been sanded
    3) then repeat at a 90 degree (across the previous grain) to get a more uniform surface
    4) Wipe off water with a paper towel
    5) Rub with a plastic polish (i.e. Novus #1 Clean & Shine) to help protect from dust/fingerprints

8. Macros_the_Black

ur wlcm, np. Glad to help out a little. ^_^
    Let us know what result you get with acetone on the polystyrol/polystyrene window! I for one, is eagerly awaiting the result! =) If one-sided treatment don't give you enough frost, try treating both sides, it might work. *shrugs*
    [edit] While you are at it playing with acetone, try putting a few drops of it on expanded polystyrene (white packing material stuff). I had great fun doing that in my plastic model building days of my youth. This will get you a spilled-Alien-blood-effect. ^_^[/edit]
    My thought exactly, you always learn something. I tend to try to make as much as possible myself, cause it gives me a more satisfying feeling (pride?)... and of course, there is the bragging rights too. :D
    About Ebay, check out Ebay UK. Shipping within Europe shouldn't be so bad... (I hope).
    LOL XD
    Hmmm, won't that last step (#5) reduce the frostiness somewhat? (I have no idea, just asking) <=)

9. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

It helps to protect the surface; but does somewhat reduce the frostiness, which is why I use at most 400 grit (200-300 is better). What drastically reduces frostiness is to use higher grit sandpaper and Novus #2 or #3 scratch removers

BTW, here's a pic of the results of some frosting I did.

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

LOL-Macros_the_Black got me. I should have said polystyrene is often compared to/mistaken for ABS.
    Sorry, I know nothing about your access to EU plexi or other materials. I say work with what you have. If you must paint it, they make paint for plastic models, -the same type plastic. I don't know if you have access to any there.:(
    Building a G5 from junk will make you a legend! Don't spend any more than you have to.;)

11. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

He'll be the ultimate Cheapskate :p

12. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Don't say it three times or he'll appear, like Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetle...

13. eXplode

eXplode sound freak

can u please Macro shoot it, cos i would like to see it close.

ofcourse. we keep expenses low. :thumb:

14. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Here they are:
    Pic 1
    Pic 2

The reason why I ended up frosting them is that I had unknowingly glued Lexan and acrylic together and the glue became milky and had some bubbles in it; was probably a blessing in disguise though, since I really like the frosted look.

15. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

First,... the easiest method would be to buy some frosted acrylic. You can barely see through it,... pretty sure thats what you want. If you can't get that then do this,... make two 1/16" thick windows and sand one side of each. When done put the frosted sides together, frosted on the inside and shiny on the out. Whalaa! Glue the corners and you have a nice frosted window that wont get dirty:)

16. eXplode

eXplode sound freak

:idea: Now THIS is some creative thinking dude!!!! And it may work for the window. but i'm also planing to make some masks for the inside, hiding cables etc. I also want it to be frosted, cos i dont waant to see cables trough it obviusly. And that will require lots of bending. I dont think it will work good with "double layer". Not to mention doubling the cost.

@ radodrill Unfortunatly those arent frosted enoug 4 my likings, and uniforming woud be problem on a large surface.

If anyone hase acetone frosted plexy, id like to see result pls. Thx.

@Cheapskake u were right. Acetone did nothing to my plexy :)

Thx all 4 the constructive ideas!!

Last edited: 29 Dec 2007
  17. Grifter

Grifter What's a Dremel?

Hello Dude ,

A few things spring to mind for your frosting issue..

You could buy a piece of frosted perspex which wouldnt cost alot but assuming you have material and dont want to re-buy : _

Sand/bead blasting shouldnt cost to much and will povide a even frosting to a strength you like , downside is you've got to find somewhere local to you to do it but its a fairly common place process so you shouldnt have to much trouble.

Or you can buy a frosting film , kinda like a vinyl and applied the same way. Again even finish dunno how much it would cost but it wouldnt be much for the size you want.

Last but not least spray a finish using either a frosting paint or matt laquer with a spark erroded finish ( you might wanna pratice on a scrap bit first^^)

Just my thoughts if it were my panel i think i'd go for the blasting option .

Hope this helps dude : )

Last edited: 29 Dec 2007
  18. Macros_the_Black

Hmm, that is odd.. the pic of the label on the clear plastic you have says "polystyrol" which, according to my brief research, is the german name for polystyrene. So I guess your "polystyrol" is either some other kind of polystyrene, or not polystyrene at all.

Side note: I just did a quick test with acetone on a clear CD case (polystyrene), and that frosted instantly. Though, I think it would be hard to get i even on a large surface, cause you can't dab or wipe it as this will leave marks from what ever you used to dab or wipe with. You would probably have to dilute the acetone properly first (to slow down the process), and then either submerge the polystyrene piece (have some wires fastened to it, so you don't have to use your fingers) in the liquid or spray it _evenly_ over the surface. In both cases, you would want to be outdoors, for there is some serious amount of fumes coming off the acetone!! :eeek: I hope this information is helpful to someone at some point.

eXplode: if you get clear polystyrene for your cable maskings instead of acrylic, you could perhaps use the acetone method on those. I wish I had had an airbrush, then I would have tested spraying a fine mist of (diluted) acetone on some clear polystyrene. Perhaps you know someone who has one?

19. eXplode

eXplode sound freak

Ok, i just tested my acetone fluid on cd cover and nothing happened. It seams that i dont have good aceton fluid. I have nail polish remover wich is: Acetone, Alcohol, Isopropyl, Myristate and Water. Obviusly i need clear Acetone :/

20. Macros_the_Black

Yes, that _might_ be your problem. The stuff I have is "chemically pure" acetone. Here in sweden you can buy it at any well sorted grocery store.

WARNING! If anyone is thinking about trying out spraying acetone with an airbrush, I strongly suggest wearing airtight safety glasses or preferably one of those clean air masks! I'm willing to bet that acetone hurts a fair bit if coming in contact with your eyes. It might even damage them for good, I don't know for sure, but better safe than :waah: