1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MGS4 still coming to Xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 2 Jan 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Dev25

Dev25 What's a Dremel?

MSG4 Rumurs never die
    Fact!

3. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

"On the other hand, another source says that money never exchanged hands and that the exclusivity deal was merely a show of support for the relationship between the two companies."

BS. Business is business. The MGS franchise is a big one. There is no way they would go exclusive to one console for any amount of time unless there was money involved. They only stand to make more by doing so. Not to mention that there are more Xbox360s out there than PS3s. They would be pretty dumb to make MGS4 exclusive to PS3 without Sony giving them a little green.

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Or more realistically, Sony asked Konami to keep MGS4 exclusive, and they said "bugger off, do you have any idea how much this game has cost us? We'll keep it exclusive for a hundred billion dollars!" (in true Dr. Evil style) and Sony have had to concede they don't have the gaming muscle they once had.

Edit: Is it just me, or does that screenshot look pretty terrible? Those textures are shocking! I really hope the game looks better than that, surely the PS3 can use higher texture resolutions than 64x64!

5. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

You must have not seen any in-game footage then cause it looks sick. It should be the "killer app" everyone keeps saying the PS3 is missing. Just like Halo 3, MGS4 should cause people to go over the edge and want to buy a PS3, so to say that "there aren't enough PS3's to justify exclusivity" isn't really fair to say considering most of their audience may just be waiting for justification to buy one. Either way, we'll find out if that's a true statement in the coming weeks after launch. If it's false, then a 360 port will probably follow like Tim said. If so, would a 360 version even look/play the same as the PS3 considering 360 only has 8GB of available disc space?

Last edited: 2 Jan 2008
  6. Major

Major Guest

Can't see this going to the 360, not at all. I'll put a bet down it won't. ;)

7. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

like the article says, ps3 first then the 360 6 months later thats my guess, as for the 360 8gb disc then they could always use more than one disc, it would not be the first time as konami did it with the ps

8. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

but they are talking about using a DUAL LAYER Blu Ray disc! thats 25gb+! if they really are doing that i would guess they'll use aorund 35gb. do you want a 4 disc game?? i dont think so. whatever guy is incharge said himself the 360 cant handle the system. the architecture of the ps3 and 360 are totally different. they are developing this on the ps3 so they are making it to specifically run on the ps3 hardware to optimal performance. if they were going to put it on 360 theyd have to redo a whole bunch of stuff on this gigantic game. i think they will make plenty enough of money that they will do just fine leaving it on the ps3.

and maybe the reason for using tons of space is so that everything just streams off the disk. for liek zero load times or whatever. if thats why they are using so much space i wouldnt even want to have the game on the 360 as load times would be insane like with a number of 360 games out there.

maybe 1-2 years down the road it could possible go to 360 if M$ pays them enough money like they do to other companies. but it would never be as good as the ps3 version.

9. Lucidity

Lucidity What's a Dremel?

Another fan boy hard at work backing his system with nothing but thoughts stated as facts. Kojima already said it would be possible to make this game on the 360, and he likes the way the 360 architecture works better. Also one of the main guys at Konami said the game would have to sell 1 million copies its first day on the market to make back dev costs. Sounds like putting the game to a larger audience would make more sense. The whole thing about the disc size is bogus too. They aren't compressing anything for the PS3 version because they don't have too. Don't get me started on the bs load times. The PS3 has crazy long load times, longer than anything on my 360. Drakes loads are minutes long, but they are disguised with cut scenes. The Blu-Ray drive is slower than a DVD therefore the PS3 gives you the option to install the game because the BRDD slows the system and load times down. It is amazing to me how Valve was able to fit the entire Orange Box on one DVD-9. You Sony fan boys are the worst by far, you know even less about what you say than the 360 fanboys, and what makes it worse is most of those 360 fan boys are kids, not young adults and older individuals like the PS3 ones. If Sony took a crap and told you it was chocolate and that you should eat it, you probably would. And BTW I own both 360 and PS3.

10. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

havent played Uncharted but i havent seen any long load times. i read the review for Skate and it said load times were 30 or more seconds while i have the game and load times are like 8 seconds. then i checked the review for 360 and it was obvious they basically copied the review over to ps3 review. all ppl i know that has a 360, and none have ps3s as they are 360 fanboy, all say about the long load times. and ive never heard a complaint on ps3 load times.

i havent kept up with hgs4 stuff much but it was quite a while ago Kojima said the games would not run well on 360. i THINK he said it would if things were toned down though.

putting it on 360 would also add to dev costs so thats even more to get back.

360 architecture is simpler while ps3s is more complicated and is more efficient if you utilize the 'cores' of the cell.

who's to say it cant sell 1M on day one?? i dont see why not. many people are getting ps3 for this game.

who cares if its not compressed. that better anyway.

whats wrong with using cutscenes for loading? nothing. how do you know its loading the entire time? mass effect used elevator rides (looong ones) for loading. i think it was assassins creed that also had loading in cutscenes.

you sure arent making good arguments..

i havent seen an option to install a game. its automatic isnt it? either way installing some files on the hdd is better. even games that dont still have fast load times. COD4 didnt install on the hdd and load times are very fast.

so wat if orange box fit on dvd-9. they compressed it obviously. they made it for the 360 so they are gonna put it on one disc. its not that big a game.

im sayin if its like 35gb or more (im guessing) it will be hard to put it on a dvd-9 without cutting back on something.

you seem like the fanboy here. i dont care if you have both systems.

anyways i doubt it will go to 360.

did mgs3?? im not even sure.

and if it does it wont be for a long while unless MS pays enough money.

11. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I watched the promo video when it came out a year or two ago, though I can't say I remember much about the graphics. All I meant was the textures in that screenshot are rubbish, which they are, look at the wall behind him, it's blockier than Q2. Whilst you're probably right about MGS4 being the PS3's killer app, it's debateable whether Konami are willing to take that risk. They've been developing the game for years, must have cost them millions and millions, would you just stick to an underselling console in the hope more people would subsequently buy it? I'm not so sure, there's a hell of a lot of doe at risk here. Spending the extra time and cost in producing a 360 port to ensure far more sales (and it would ensure far more sales) seems like a rather business savvy decision.

As for the quality of a 360 port, we could debate it till the cows go home, it all depends on how good Konami are with the various techs. The 360 probably could run it as well as the PS3, after all a development house got Doom 3 to run nearly flawlessly on the old Xbox, and no-one thought it'd be possible (128megs of ram, lol). It all depends on how well the devs get to grips with the hardware and software. I doubt the DVD size will be a problem, a bit of texture compression here and disk swapping there and there wouldn't be much of a difference. Disk swapping isn't a new thing, many many games have done it in the past and I doubt people would be turned off by it now. Also, it's easy to underestimate the power of modern compression technologies, you can shrink things like textures and models by huge amounts without losing much noticable quality. There are full blown proof-of-concept games out there, with high res textures, shading, complex models, the whole lot, for less than 64Kb. Have a Google search for them, it's quite amazing what you can squash if you need to.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Nothing I have seen in MGS4 looks that special, thats not to say it won't be a good game but I don't think its breaking any new ground graphically, a Wii might struggle (I say might as in the right hands the Wii could probably do a close approximation at 480p) but a 360 would cope no problem.

I certainly wouldn't call MGS4 a killer app either.

13. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Well I beg to differ sandys. Having played/seen MGS2&3 on PS2, the gameplay is amazing and pretty much every person I know (guys of course) that owned the games said they can't wait to get their hands on 4. I personally think the gameplay looks ground breaking and graphics will hopefully follow-suit when it comes out. Like I said, the graphics I saw of the in-game gameplay footage were like 5-6 months old by now, so.....I do your point though....I still think it's Sony's killer app to help the drive for more PS3 sales.....

Now someone's starting to sound like "the other side of the fence" if you what I mean, but yes those were pretty over-the-top statements that he deemed as fact, but Lucidity, for you to consider the load times on PS3 as "crazy long", is absurd. Most people aren't taking into account map sizes like Motorstorm (which is, of course, a 1st-gen game). Those tracks are freaking huge. But on the other hand, Warhawk takes like 7-8 seconds to join a server w/ 24+ people in it. If you want to talk crazy long load times, look no further than Mass Effect. That game took "forever" IMO. Lastly, if Uncharted can load behind cut-scenes then that's great. I sure as heck didn't mind it and I felt load times were fair considering how good the game looked/played.....I guess you didn't.....

Also, why would Konami bring it to 360 if MGS(2 or 3 can't remember) was a flop on regular Xbox? Just a question I thought I'd ask......

I know they could suredly bring the game to 360, but what I really would want to see is if they could make the game play/look exactly like the PS3 version. Also, if multiple discs will work then why didn't Mass Effect use more than 1 disc? Have any games for 360 come out w/ more than 1 disc?

Last edited: 3 Jan 2008
  14. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

15. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

i remember that old video and one of the first things i thought of was that the 3d models are incredibly amazing but the textures of othr things like buildings and the ground were nasty terrible. i think they had just put in some textures just to make the video. probly havent spent time on them. but then again you only notice it when up close. and really. go in anygame and go right up close to a wall or the ground almost always i looks pixelated.

but because of the huge disc space i would expect them to use it and instead of making the textures look good frome a distance make the resolution higher in the textures so they look good close up too.

oh ya i forgot motorstorm had long load times. thats the only one i can think of.

i think the part that makes the MGS games so great is not the graphics although they are amazing. (look at Snake Eater. it had some of the best graphics of any game on the last gen consoles.)

its more the gameplay i think. the control system seems so open. you arent all confined in what you can do like in other shooters like Ghost Recon and games like that. check out some of the last videos. they had one just hoswing him go around and do things. it seems very free of how you move around.

16. Lucidity

First off, read what you just posted.... and read the related articles so you can get a better understanding of what is actually occurring. You ever think that there might be a reason why most of the people you know chose to get a 360 over the PS3?

The load times on Uncharted are long, and part of it is due to blu-ray and the other part of it is due to developer laziness in not using compression because they don't have to.

Honestly the loads on the PS3 are longer in general, and the reviewers (ign egm play etc etc) point this out. The load times shouldn't be any longer than something like Bioshock which looks great. I was actually kinda disappointed at how Drake's looked. With it being a first party game I expected it to knock my socks off like Gears of War did, yet Gears looked better, the shooting part played better, and I had rumble and blood.... and it came out a whole year before.

There are two reasons that MGS2 did not perform well on Xbox, for one a good chunk of people that owned the original Xbox owned a PS2. Another being that those that didn't probably bought into Splinter Cell rather than MGS2. If you combine this with the fact that MGS2 had solid performance on the PS2 and came out like a year before it's Xbox counter-part you could see why sales wouldn't be too great. Also Snake Eater sold very well, and when it was released the 360 was no longer a secret, so why take the time to port a game to a platform that won't be around much longer? It didn't make sense business wise. Heck the Special Editon of the game came out like 2-3 months before the 360 launched.

They really don't need to put games on multiple discs this generation. Next generation you will probably see both consoles using the Next Gen DVD units in box again, but also much larger HDDs like 250gb to possibly 500gbs. I also expect that MS will have some sort of option to boot into a windows type environment, with the PS3 incorporating either linux in the box, or a much more complex and useful web browser. This is speculation of course, but I do know quite a few people in the industry, and knew the 360 specs 6 months before it was even announced. ( Which I totally didn't believe at the time because they were so crazy freaking high!)

I personally really don't like the MGS series, the first 3d one was good, and ground breaking, but they have yet to really evolve the game dynamics to this generation. I am hoping the MGS4 can be like how RE4 was for the Resident Evil series. With a re-tooling of the control and camera systems, many of the problems that I personally had with the 2nd and 3rd titles would be gone. That and if Sony would make a copy cat 360 controller.... that's that only thing I'm really a fan boy about. Both systems have their pros and cons, but I really really prefer the 360 controller over my PS3 one.

17. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Companies tend to deny, deny, deny right up untill they anounce that game X will be available on alternate platform Y. It certainly doesn't mean its true here, but its happenned often enough now that nobody really believes it anymore even when they tell the truth.

And the whole "only on blu-ray" thing is pretty much marketing, they just don't bother with compression and economy in space usage so they end up with a large amount of raw data and then claim it wouldn't fit on any other format - true only so long as they don't try and make it fit ;).

18. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

if loading is during cut scenes then how do you know how long it really takes.

havent seen anything about complaints on load times for ps3 but lots about 360 and i dont look for 360 news.

whyd they choose 360? ps3 wasnt yet and it was going to be 'too expensive' which is BS as any student with a job can afford to buy one. also because LIVE is 'soo much better' than yet quite a few dont even use it unless they have free trial and i hear them complain about problems often too. also for halo 3 which they say isnt even that great.

one of my friends said a whole bunch of his friends had 360s and they all got rid of them because they thought they sucked.

so based on word of mouth of other peoples experiences i wouldn't want a 360 as there are no games i would buy the system for.... oh the one time i played a 360 it gave me DREs every few minutes.

anyways wheres some links about the super long load times on ps3.

and Uncharted has amazing graphics. if it doesnt why do the reviews say it does?

forgot the timeframe if MGS3. it wouldnt make sense to have it on 360. nvm.

ya they do deny alot when it will happen but we wont know for quite a while. but as i said IF it comes to 360 it wont for atleast a year later.

dang i should have waited till morning to post this on our computer instead of using my ps3 controller. i need a good keyboard for this thing.

19. Lucidity

If the word of mouth is so bad for the 360, how does it continually manage to outsell the PS3, even though it is older, and does not offer the next gen playback capability? There may not be games available that you personally don't want to play, or choose to ignore because you don't own one, but if you look at this years game of the year awards, 360 cleaned house.

Sony admitted load times on cross platform games will be slower read here: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/04/ps3-to-load-games-slower-than-the-xbox-360/

Uncharted has good graphics, amazing would make them better than anything out there, which they aren't. I am personally more impressed with the character animations, than with the overall graphics. The game also has a ton of scanning and tearing to it, which is a first for me on consoles.

Lastly, they have to deny it, they are under contract and can't say anything legally, and from a business aspect it wouldn't be smart to announced 3-6 months after launch to keep sales up. This is similar to how GTA4 is already done for 360, and was submitted for rating already, but the PS3 version is still in development. Rockstar can't and won't say anything because Sony has paid for a simultanious release, and it would piss of potential 360 buyers that they aren't selling them the game.

You truly are a fanboy if you claim that flat out one system sucks. That just is not the case. Both systems offer two completely different experiences, one more oriented towards games, the other more towards media and corporate pushing. If Sony would stop trying to push out proprietary tech through there consoles, they could possibly be beating the 360 right now.

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Problem with your TV perhaps mine plays Uncharted fine with no tearing visible in over 16 hours of play.

Tags: Add Tags