1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment 300d shutter button problem!

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Dayains, 6 Jan 2008.

1. Dayains

Dayains Notamodder

Hi,

On my 300d the shutter button has lost it's two stops of depression making it hard to use AutoFocus without taking a shot, it is usable but awkard, also I have tryed to open the camera but the screws are ridiculously tight and the precison screwdrivers that fit do not have enough leverage to loosen the screw!

Any tips on what the problem could be and on getting the camera open would be much appreciated.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Is it still under warranty? If not, I can only say you should try harder with the screwdrivers tbh... :(

3. Dayains

Dayains Notamodder

Nope not under warranty, have ryed all kinds with the screwdrivers including bendin one to 90 degrees for a bit of leverage! I'm sure theres a screwdriver out there that'll do it, I just haven't found it yet!

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

wow you must have really weak wrists! lol!

they use a pretty dam good thread lock on those screws, careful not to fook the tops of the screws up.

have a look with a good tourch to see if theres alot of muck build up under the shuter button.

other than that, i would get it into a camera repair shop and be done with it.

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

When I dismantled my 300D I found a couple of the screws wouldn't budge either.
    I used a pair of pliers to hold the precision screw-driver and turn it, that way I was able to get more purchase.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What you could do is get a full-sized screwdriver, then dremel the tip down small. I did that with one of mine, but you have to be very careful that the masses of torque doesn't burr out the screwheads...

7. Dayains

Dayains Notamodder

I assure you that is not the case, lol!

Will give them suggestions a go, cheers guys!

8. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Ditto that. If you have a small screwdriver, you can squeeze down hard on the screwdriver with your thumb whilst holding the rest of the camera in your hand. Squeeze hard + use other hand for turning the screwdriver with the pliers.

The other suggestion I have is to set one of the other buttons to AF. I think in the custom functions you can set the * (default = AE lock) button to AF, so it will act in the same way as a half shutter press. I *think* my 300D had this option - my 30D certainly does. You may need to upgrade to the special firmware though. Obviously this isn't ideal but it's an option - especially since sending the camera away will probably cost more than it's worth.

9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

When I get stuck with screws, I lock my precision screwdrivers into the chuck of my cordless drill. It helps a lot ;) If you go slow, it shouldn't slip too much.

10. Tomm

:hehe:

[​IMG]

11. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Yeah you need the special firmware for that ;)
    300d doesn't even have a custom functions menu before that! :D

12. Tomm

Fair enough. The updated firmware is well worth having anyway.

13. Bobbie66

Bobbie66 Don't need lenses... ;)

Hello everyone! I have a 300D shutter button problem too. When i press it half way down it does nothing: no autofocus, no viewfinder display activation, nothing. When i press it all the way, then it autofocuses and releases the shutter. Can't see choosen values in viewfinder nor control if the correct focus is achieved 'till i make the photo :(.
    Have a question for Dayains: If you manage to "dismantle" EOS 300D, what is your next step? Are you going to replace the shutter button or try to fix it? Is there a hope to fix something like this? Thank you in advance...:)

EDIT: Once i brought the camera from a cold room to a warm and it became wet. This time Shutter button worked normally for 20 mins, after that it returned to it's previous state:(

Last edited: 19 Mar 2008
  14. Bobbie66

Well, I would like to get some answer but nothing :(
    Camera is resting in its bag, doing nothing, please help me :)

15. Tomm

I would get the custom firmware I mentioned earlier and remap the AEL button (*) to AF. So you'll have a separate button for AF, and use the shutter button only for taking the shot. Then save for a new camera body.

I don't think repairing it will be a goer. Even if you can find a replacement shutter key, dismantling the camera and installing it is not for the feint-hearted and will probably involve some very small soldering points. I suppose if you are very lucky there will be an obvious loose connection or it might need a good clean. Unlikely though.

The other option is to buy a remote cable release, but obviously using that all the time is not ideal.

16. Bobbie66

Thank you for the answer. I agree that installing custom firmware is the best option. I also thought there might be some dirt around the button but it's too much work to get inside and check out and there's even possibility that it needs replacement which is hard to find (at least here):). I guess i'll get this firmware these days, install it and enable my camera to work normally. Thank you again for your help Tomm. Best regards... ;)

17. Tomm

No problem.

I just had another thought - you could buy a battery grip. That will have another shutter release button. But that money is probably best saved towards a new body.

18. Bobbie66

Yeah, i might buy one if i can find it for less money. The last one i saw was priced 70 euros here.
    Thank you Man ;)

19. Bobbie66

Me again. Last night i installed the hacked firmware into 300D but it seems that Cf.4 doesn't work at all. So i wasn't able to remap (*) button to autofocus. So, i'm at the beginning again :(. Is there maybe another version of this firmware which enables Cf.4? I was searching google but didn't find the answer...

20. Tomm

The one I used was called E3kr111v71 and the file was called E3kr111.FIR.

If you PM me your email address I can send it, if it's any use? N.B. No guarantees etc.

Tags: