1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Best Games You've Never Played

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 28 Dec 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Hm, maybe I'll give it a go once I get over this cold then. Any more suggestions anyone?

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Oh yeah you can do something like -a0 in the shortcut IIRC, I'll try that.

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

G-police Cheesecake

Just found it among the crap by brother left when he moved so I'm stealing it :D

Dunno what kind of success it had, or how it plays now, all I can remember is I loved it when it first came out, even if I was **** at it.

EDIT: Woops sorry about that.

Woot fixed the core affinity, runs fine now apart from the occasional frame rate drop when there's lots of traffic.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2008
  4. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

Hehe.. I've got a few of those games. Neverhood, Outcast (Killed my computer when I got it..), Planescape (Really didnt know that it was unknown), Beyond Good & Evil, Vampire and Psyconauts :)

5. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

Good call on Condemned. It's a great game.

6. curme

curme Minimodder

It's a moot point reminiscing about older games when newer video cards won't support them. It's like a book club discssing out-of-print books that no one can get.

I have a 8800 GTX and a can't play 'Crimson Skies' on it (I bought it from EBay, last week). Searching Nvidia forums for a resolution, I found a slew of older games, like AVP, that Nvidia newer cards don't support.

I'd love to play something like Grim Fandango again, but I seriously doubt that my highspeed JAXA pc machine could play a game older than a couple of years ago.

7. CardJoe

I can play Grim Fandango fine on my work PC, which has an 8800 and vista etc in it. You do get occasional hiccups and, if I recall, the cutscenes are all jittery - but put text and speech on and it'll be fine for the most part. Especially if its your second play through.

8. curme

curme Minimodder

I just picked a classic game at random, I didn't know whether Grim Fandango worked or not! :duh: Since I am frustrated with Crimson Skies, and read about other Nvidia problems, I thought that most older games were suffering similar problems as well.

I guess I anticipated, and you should never anticipate, because you make an 'ant' out of 'tis' and 'pate'!

I just bought Psychonauts off of ebay, hopefully that will work.

9. CardJoe

Psychonauts should run fine. If not, there's always virtual machines...

10. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

Indigo Prophecy was short, the sneaking sequence flash back was terrible, it lost itself in the ending, the sex scene was terrible....and the controls were shenmue styled simon says. You could barely watch the heavy action sequences because of that control scheme. First game on the PC I had to play with a controller.

Besides all that great game! hahaha...

11. CardJoe

Fahrenheit was awesome, though I agree it had problems. The sneaking bits were a tad irritating, but not really a huge problem and there was only one or two of them which were quite short at that. The heavy action sequences were fantastic though and I loved how the shenmue controls were used - not something I'd like to see in all games, but something I felt was handled well nonetheless. They really gave the game a sense of drama for me.

I agree that the plot kind of lost it half way thorugh, but it's important to keep track of the dates mentioned in the cutscenes to see the timescale the game is set over. You also have to bear in mind Fahrenheit was originally supposed to be episodic, but the publisher forced them to put the game out as a single release like that, condensing the story and ruining the schedule. Things which should have been explained more were therefore skipped over.

The sex scene didn't really bother me. It was there to add depth to the characters, not titillate players.

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Always wanted to get Farenheit, never got round to it. There's a lot of games like that for me.

I just got Borrow Hill thru the post today - trying to branch out into old adventure games, because new adventure games suck.
    I'm attempting to get the uber-rare Realms of the Haunting, but the *cough*torrent*cough* only has one seed and no peers :miffed:
    So, in three to five years, I'll be able to play that one. By which time steam will have bought every game company on earth, and it'll be available in their catalogue.
    I may have to Amazon Marketplace it from some guy in denmark instead...

13. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Okay. So in keeping with this motif of a slanted selection of pre-1995 cheap RPG games, where is Castle of the Winds....?

14. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Having had this brought to my attention recently, I wanted to make my own addition: Blades of Exile. One of the best storylines in a game I've ever played. And you get multiple 'scenarios' which are each as long as something 'big' such as oblivion. They have updated the series with Avernum now which I am just getting to grips with. The thing is, they don't spend time developing the graphics and sound (although they are not painful to use at all), so instead it all goes into the story and things like that!

15. CardJoe

Ooh, had a look at that just now - looks like something perfectly suited to playing on my EEE PC.

16. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

On the subject, I bought beyond Good and Evil the other day, but can't seem to get the game to work without serious GPU glitches. On the menu screen when selecting language, the pgup/pgdown cursor are outside of the screen, i.e. as if its zoomed in and clipping the side

Likewise during the game itself it seems to be full of artifacts, things popping all over the place, anyone experienced this? Had a look around and saw it was a common problem pre-patch and meant you had to tinker with the AA settings on the graphics card, however having done this it still seems to make no difference, I'm stumped :confused:

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  17. CardJoe

Not something I've ever heard of. I'd suggest double checking you're on the latest patch, running in compatability mode and maybe turning hardware acceleration off.

18. jadelove

jadelove What's a Dremel?

I like playing simple games which are really enjoyable like Gemsweeper or Arcade Lines

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Dec 2008
  19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I actually have the Collector's Edition of this - and I mean /have/, as in it's sat on my shelf in its original box. It's a great game, and the making of stuff in the Collector's Edition is fascinating.

Rock hard, mind - and the "while you're walking down a corridor we'll teleport some enemies DIRECTLY BEHIND YOU" mechanic can get irritating.

20. CardJoe

Ooh - what's in the Collector's Edition?

Tags: Add Tags