1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony says it's sorry and its listening

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Jan 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Is that another TFT with a bit of glass bolted onto the front?

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it takes character to say you were wrong to thousands of people.... maybe sony will start playing nice...... maybe hell will freeze again..... only time will tell

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Stops people using polish on the panel at least XD

It's quite interesting what effect not knowing the culture of other countries can have. In Japan, companies and businesses are usually very respectful to their customers. Being arrogant like Sony was with the PS3 is a mark of a dominant giant, it's a way of showing you're the best company around. Sony obviously thought that because the dominated the market so much with the PS2 they could act that way, but we westerners didn't really like that.

5. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

I dont think that it would have mattered if the console was more affordable, came with bundles of games and were gauranteed the backwards compatibility....as it was we got none of these things and all Sony's arrogance did was p£$£s us off and reach for a cheaper solution....the 360's and Wii's. I'm not disputing the differences in cultures but maybe the explanation lies in its absolute dominance and religious like followers in Japan that warrant its arrogance over there, we here are fans on the most part with what i imagine are only a few religious die hards. Anyhooooo thats all speculation around actions....the reality is that Sony was big enough to put its hands up and say ooopsy, we've been really stupid (and now its hurting all the executives bonus's and our r and d budget) and we are going to listen to our consumer.

I know its cliche and not exactly true here but an old business management tutor used to quote things about a difference between the old and new/ succeeding or failing business'....those who try sell what they can make will never succeed, those who make what they can sell will. Simple but it appears with the ps3 sony got caught selling what they could make, pushing their blue ray technology at the expense of a console not selling as well as it should of. Anyways, they are business' and they make mistakes, just look at microsoft and their 360=33% failure and $1 billion set aside for extended warranties.

peace

6. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Wow, I'm amazed. I never thought I'd hear Sony say that. It seems all the petitions etc did some good and made Sony realise consumers won't put up with being ripped off with over priced products, proprietary standards and all the other rubbish. I haven't bought any sony electrical products for many years but they may find their way back onto my wish list soon if they really do change their ways.

7. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I hope Sony don't start being nice, I love to hate them :)

But honestly it's a good a big company can put their hands up and say they were wrong. It's good they're showing commitment to being driven towards what their customers actually want, not what they want to give their customers. It's very good for the industry if they keep the competition up - afterall would you want the xbox 361? That could do everything the previous could but looked a bit different and had slightly better internals (in line with tech developments) for the same games re-made. It's good to have company's continuing to battle it out to keep innovation and keep finding the 'edge' over the competition, in that way the biggest winners are us, the customers, who get the most awesome products.

Having said all that, I still wouldn't buy Sony, they're prohibitively expensive.

8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

My thoughts exactly. At least this admission is a start towards better things. I await follow-through.

9. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

i like that TV :D

me...want...tv!

maybe next year when i can afford it :(

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

hmmm....apology accepted. the PS3 is still crap IMO. not a single worthy game exclusive. and everything sony is still overpriced. and i dont like the way the ericson phones work. hehe. anyways, competition is always healthy and keeping the competitors like Ninty and Microsoft making better games is only good for us. actually, scrap that, i hate console ports to my PC. i want PC pure games. :D

11. salesman

salesman Minimodder

i want that email i sent sony 3 weeks ago answered not a apology. Bought a sony receiver with a hdmi input that doesn't process audio WTF sony?!! Answer my email NOW!!!

12. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

sony are evil, crappy products and very poor standards

13. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I have one for them: DITCH THE AWEFUL AND EXPENSIVE MEMORYSTICK.
    I hope they listening...

14. Tetsugaku-San

Tetsugaku-San What's a Dremel?

Not played Resistance:Fall of Man or Uncharted: Drakes Fortune then? Both exclusive and both fantastic (Drake's especially)

15. Tetsugaku-San

If you'd done any research you'd have realised that both the SDA1200 ( that your prolly talking about) and lots of other bottom to middle range , 1st generation AV receivers from many companies do not. The 2nd gen ones do. And do upscaling. Deal with it, all you have to do is run an extra audio cable from the 2 HDML devices you can have connected, not the end of the world.

16. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

RFOM (nearly rolf) is standard shooter, its a good game, but not exaclty different from Quake or others of the type. Its hardly fantastic. I've not played drakes, but to be fair £500 (ish) for a console with 2 games... bargin.

17. Tetsugaku-San

It's *not* more expensive - not really, not by anything more than 10% anyway, why worry about something so small? All universal memory card readers will read them, Sony's high end Cameras support other types of card, so does the PS3, SOny are also teaming up with Nokia, Motorola etc to make a universal phone memory card. Just chill man ;)

18. Tetsugaku-San

Hmm, dunno where you shop but Game are selling the PS3 with 2 chart games for £299.99 right now :)

19. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Aye, £500 is way off the mark! I bought one of the last 60gb models for £349 at Argos in December. Games are £40 new (usually).

20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Fairly nuff, you think £350 is a good investment for two "decent" games?

I agree with [USRF]Obiwan, once you've bought a sony camera your stuck with either another sony camera or a useless card when you upgrade, at least sd is near universal. Ditch Memory stick.

Tags: Add Tags