1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Paramount moving to Blu-Ray too?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jan 2008.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

We've got a very long way to go before we get proper holograms. Currently the best way of doing it involves rotating a mirror in a circle at very high speeds so it deflects a laser to make an image, hardly suitable for a user. We've still got a decade or two to go.

2. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

While BR is definitely the superior format, I was hoping HD-DVD would win out. It is cheaper, region free, and had support for it's advanced features earlier than BR (like 300's PiP, I hope they re-release the BR version now).

I personally don't have an HDTV yet. I am hoping to get one by the end of the year. If BR wins out for sure I guess I'll just buy a PS3. No point in buying a stand alone player for the same damn price.

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Not really, it's just bigger, and even that isn't strictly true.

4. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

This is true.
    I have seen the demonstration videos myself, and while they look incredibly cool they are, as you say, not really suitable for movie projection yet. However, two decades? Not so sure it will take that long, but then again, as with all these things, time will tell.

Edit: Just remembered these. http://www.io2technology.com/
    They might be quite expensive, and not truly holographic, but you've got to admit - they are cool.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2008
  5. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I was rooting for HD-DVD too but as has been said, the sooner the format war ends the sooner people can start buying the hardware with confidence and drive consumer takeup and drive costs down.

I just wish we could get rid of region encoding etc.
    Until its easier to buy legit media and use them properly, downloads (and cinema visits) are gonna be my preferred medium...

6. Lucidity

Lucidity What's a Dremel?

This is really horrible if it happens. From what I have read HD-DVD now has a better attach rate, and did more sales over the holiday which means a lot of consumers will be getting screwed. With HD-DVD out of the way, Sony is free to keep player prices high, in order to promote purchase of their PS3. Competition would have driven them to cut BR players prices, and then the PS3 would be a more expensive unit, HD-DVD would have won out because the cheaper cost, and PS3 would have less sales because people would discount the fact that it has a BR drive.

Edit: Apparently those sales were only US figures, and Blu-Ray sold better worldwide.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2008
  7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

The quicker this format war ends the better, but I'm sure people can (and will) argue the pro's and con's of going one way or the other long after one of the formats has died. I've got a PS3, so I've got Blu-ray... but if HD-DVD 'won' then I wouldn't have a problem with buying an HD-DVD player. That is, of course, dependent on pricing being acceptable and a range of titles I consider worthwhile buying being available.

8. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

hmmm i prefer hd-dvd, open format, and a lot cheaper (79 euros for a hd-dvd drive)

9. alextwo

alextwo <a href="http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p

If Paramount switch then it's almost certain that HD DVD will fail pretty soon.
    It looks like the better marketing force of the BDA and the Sony/PS3 affiliation has been the the deciding factors. It's a shame that people will be missing out on the far more consumer friendly HD DVD. Oh well I guess when people are stuck with mpeg2 encoded, DRM infested BDs that can't be backed up onto a computer; the movie studios will be blaming record levels of piracy for poor sales. :(

10. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

In terms of just movies it is really a toss up. HD-DVD may be a nudge better at the moment. But the raw space that BR gives you is better overall because once prices go down people will be using those disks for easy back ups or recording a **** ton of home movies. Not to mention that both formats have room for improvement because players can get firmware upgrades to support more features as the format progresses. In the end I think BR should win because it's movie playback faults will be ironed out at some point anyways.

11. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

Thought you where able to get triple layered hd-dvd, which was bigger than the Bluray discs, plus I will not codole any sort of sonynis, so I'll stick with the cheaper DVD since on my 720p TV. There really is very little difference between them. Plus the price of the discs at the moment is seriously overpriced here.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

good Im glad HD-DVD is going bye bye it was pretty limiting anyways and now it makes it easier for me so I can start focusing on Blu-Ray now. ^_^

13. Kingston

Kingston What's a Dremel?

What? How big is that screen your using right now... your telling me on a 20" LCD you can't notice the difference between 640x480 (480p) and say 1680x1050 (1050p) Get some glasses

Even on my monitor 15feet away i could tell a difference

14. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

can an 20" LCD do 1080p

upto 40" tv 720p is good
    above that number 1080p

moot point any way as most HDTVs can do 1080P (some are pretend 1080p but are infact 720p downscalers {the Screen res Must be bigger then 1960x1080 for 1080p })

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

when i say holographic media i say small disks of holographic media...... like mini DVDs...... not 12cm wide fragile disks......

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

No I can tell the difference, what I'm saying is that 720p is perfectly adequate for <40" displays, and 1080p won't really help much unless you like sitting really close to the TV. You're doing it wrong if you do that.

17. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

LMAO & QFT!! :D

Nope, but my old 24" dell could. ;)

I disagree.
    Yeah, you'd be hard-pushed to spot the differences between 720p and 1080p from a normal viewing distance.
    But surely then, by your logic, the step up from SD to 720p is just as pointless??

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

No, because the p makes a big difference to picture quality, remember we're on 480i for SD. Combined with the increased resolution, a 32" 720p set looks noticeably better than a 32" 480i set. But at the proper viewing distance your eyes are going to have trouble telling the difference between a 32" 720p set and a 32" 1080p set unless you have some kind of superhuman vision. It's not that the picture isn't better quality, it is, it's just beyond the limits of human vision to see the difference in that quality (at least most of it) unless you move closer to the screen.

I find it easier to think of it this way, pretend the TV is a picture frame. Take say, a 1MP, 7MP and a 20MP camera. Pretending that all other factors are the same, only the resolution is different. So you'd immediately think, oh the 20MP is better, it's got a bigger resolution, it can capture more detail. But it's not, to view the picture you're going to have to shrink it down to fit the frame. There is obviously going to be a difference between the 1MP camera and the 7MP camera, because the 1MP image is so small it has to be enlarged to fit the frame, the 7MP is about just the right size so you get all the detail. The 20MP image has to be shrunk down to the size of the 7MP image so it can be displayed on the picture, this means it will lose all of it's extra details.

However, change the size of the frame, like for some marketing project you want a big poster or to project the image onto the side of a building, the 20MP camera will obviously be better.

The analogy doesn't work too well with SD (the 1MP camera) though because it's more like a 1MP image that someone has pissed all over then put through a shredder and reconstructed with half of the image missing.

TBH people shouldn't really need 1080p either, even above 40" it's just people buy TVs that are too big for their room.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2008
  19. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

A rather amusing recurring misconception about Blu-Ray which seems to be quoted by HD backers generally. HD DVD and Blu-Ray are both capable of using the exact same video and audio codecs. Some of the early Blu-Ray titles did in fact use MPEG2 compression rather than MPEG4 and WMV based codecs at first, but all Blu-Ray players can play back the same formats as HD DVD. Current Blu-Ray transfers (98%) are MPEG4-based, AVC/h264. Many of the studios who release on both formats actually use the same transfer to save money!

Region encoding, and in fact copy-protection flags aren't even turned ON on all the Blu-Ray discs I personally have, which is a choice made by studios themselves regarding their discs. I'm connecting a PS3 via component to a first-gen Samsung CRT HDTV, and watching it in 1080i res.

:thumb:

20. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I'm sure they'd all LOVE to use the image constraint token to restrict viewing at HD resolution to screens with HDCP, but the fact is they would have a whole lot of mightily annoyed people who (like you) have perfectly serviceable HDTVs which are fully capable of displaying HD images but which lack HDMI connectors with HDCP capability. Only recently have computer monitors and graphics cards started to emerge with HDCP, so it would be quite disastrous for the studios to be pushing out image constrained discs which force a large proportion of hardware to degrade to standard def simply because the security hardware is not in place.

TBH I really don't undersdand the whole HDCP/image constraint thing - no-one in their right mind is going to make pirate copies of HD material by ripping the decompressed HD from an HDMI or component connector and re-encoding it onto blank BR discs - total waste of processing power and will necessarily introduce generation loss. Far better simply to rip the encoded video from the disc, strip out the AACS and write it to a blank disc, recoding to remove unwanted material and compress if required to fit on a single layer etc., much as is done with pirate SD DVDs. That and HDCP has been shown to be inherently mathematically flawed means I don't see any advantage for the studios in turning it on.

Tags: Add Tags