1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics HDMI and Radeon HD3870 - NTSC vs PAL... please advise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Bodger, 12 Jan 2008.

1. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Hi all, I'll try to keep this short:
    I got a new HIS Radeon HD 3870 graphics card at Christmas, purchased from Overclockers.co.uk. When I looked at it, I noticed that it had an NTSC sticker on it. However, I have been able to change the setting for normal S-Video output from NTSC to PAL, and it now works fine on my old TV.

THE PROBLEM: I have noticed that in CCC, the only HDMI settings available to choose from are labeled:
    720p60 (NTSC)
    1080i60(NTSC)
    1080p60(NTSC)

If I understand correctly, the UK uses 720p50, 1080i50 and 1080p50 (PAL). When I choose to buy a nice new HDMI tv, will this render my graphics cards HD output useless in the UK? Is it possible to change the Radeon 3870 to run 1080i50 etc? (driver / firmware / setting change that I missed etc) Should I be considering sending the card back to the shop, as it will have limited compatibility in the country I bought it in, or will it be fine? (Do all/most HD TVs in the UK support the 60Hz rate as well as the 50Hz rate) :confused:

And does this topic belong in Displays or Graphics? (Mods please alter if appropriate)

Any personal experience in this sort of matter / advice on whether this is an issue greatly appreciated.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2008
  2. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

I find it strange, that a card bought from a UK store, would have a NTSC sticker on it?
    I'd suggest you get in touch with OcUK first, to get clarification:

1. Why it has an NTSC sticker on it in the first place?
    2. That the card also supports PAL? In truth.... I doubt they'd sell cards which wouldn't allow you to use them with a UK [HD]TV?

You may find this useful?

3. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply and the link. It looks like I'm not the only one confused about compatability... I'll try to get in touch with Overclockers and see what they think, and post anything useful I find out on here.

4. Omertron

Omertron What's a Dremel?

I have the MSI Radeon 3870, and on the card, if I recall correctly, there's a PAL/NTSC toggle/jumper. Have you checked for this?

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Just what I was about to post! ATi cards used to have a jumper to switch between PAL and NTSC, I haven't had a proper look at an ATi card since the X1x00 series, but I think they had one.

6. ricecrackers

ricecrackers What's a Dremel?

hey Bodger, did you ever sort out this problem??

i have an HD3870 too and live in Australia - also a PAL territory.

i've being trying to set up my card with component to my HD ready TV and am only able to get NTSC at the high resolutions.

it looks kind of crap because of the extra flicker i get.

(i tested another machine with an x800GTO with this TV, and it looked great at 1080i after i was able to select the PAL timings ie 25Hz)

I noticed my HD3870 card has 2 dip switches labelled 1 and 2. they're both set to off. i thought this meant NTSC was set, and PAL required the first switch to be set to on...

(at least that was the doco for some earlier ATI cards such as the 2900xt. i couldnt find any doco on the HD3800 series cards.)

so i tried this - but no effect. i still only had the NTSC resolutions available.

:(