1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SteelSeries Ikari mouse and SP mousemat

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Jan 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

You were the person I was thinking of when I said that I believe some people can detect the difference :p. You crazily reflexed freak ;)

2. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Likewise, I've never used a wireless mouse that feels truly instantaneous. I'd also love there not to be a difference so I could go wireless but as yet that's not an option - and I don't think it ever will be.

Also, how anyone can say this mouse is a rip off is beyond me. However it compares to other mice, you can't argue with the fact it costs only £41 - that's peanuts!

And, as for the software, well Joe kind of neglected to mention much about that. You see with the ingenious way the DPI switching works you simply don't need to install the software for everyday use. However, if you want to record macros or change button assignments then the very capable and simple software enables you to do this.

3. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

hmmm i have a copperhead and even i want to check this out :)

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

funny thing is I knew it :D

It's just sad how people react on this subject. There are two categories:

1) Those who can feel the lag and therefore believe anyone who can't is just a noob
    2) Those who can't feel the lag at all and say that those who do are crazy and/or think they're uber-pro when it's actually all in their head

Back on topic: the mouse is interesting ! I like it's sleek and simple design. It reminds me of the deathadder without the stupid flashing logo... I have to say though that the DeathAdder is probably the best mouse I ever used. I don't own one myself, but I got to play plenty of cod4 with it on my own mousepad (Everglide Titan Fnatic) and it just rocks anything else :)

5. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Looks a lot like a rehashed Microsoft mouse. My grip is an aggressive 'claw-like' fingertip posture, so I'm guessing this Razer-style flat-top and flat-button mouse isn't my cup of tea.

Last edited: 8 Jan 2008
  6. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

7. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

I definitely am an advocate of a 'claw' type grip and I find that both my Copperhead and my Lachesis are insanely comfortable and easy to maneuver. I feel like the Ikari would feel pretty similar to a Logitech mouse, which in the way I use mice might be a bit clunky. Anywho, to each his own I suppose, I don't expect anyone to walk up to my Lachesis and feel it is anything but awkward in their hands. That mousepad looks pretty nice though, I need me a nice mousepad, I feel terrible using 80$ mice on bare desk surface.

8. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

just think how I feel using my MX518 on the armrest of a chair :waah:

9. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Ah, thanks guys.
    My hand hurts from using Logitech's 'seashell' shape of their mice because the buttons are too high for a claw grip (and the G7 is too heavy to whip around at the fingertips). I'll certainly take a look at Razers mice, then. In the past, I was skeptical about Razer mice because their side walls seemed too low/thin to hold firmly.

Thanks again

**edit: Here is a photo of my grip and the amount of empty space underneath the hand because of it. Mouse is a G7.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Jan 2008
  10. BlueTrin

BlueTrin What's a Dremel?

The problem is that mouses for pro gamers aren't really made for other people. A real mouse used by people doing competition must work at very low sensitivity. If you go to a competition you will see how these peeps have low sensitivity on their mouse and make big moves with their arm literally to turn around.

For them it is very important that the mouse stay precise at high speeds (this is where most of the so-called gaming mouses fail)

11. CardJoe

? At competitions I see high-sensitivity players ussually, making small movements with less hand travel to translate into quicker on-screen movements...

12. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

In his defense, it depends on how the mouse interprets movement. Razer mice are (probably) truer and more accurate at given resolutions since they don't seem to interpolate the hardware resolution (say, 2000 counts per inch) to the user-defined software 1200 or whatnot.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2008
  13. BlueTrin

BlueTrin What's a Dremel?

That's not what I saw in many FPS competitions, especially CS and CSS where I saw mostly people who had to make quite large moves to do a 180.
    I guess it would depend on how the game favors precision. And the people I knew were from aAa CS team ...

Anyway if you play low sensitivity, Infrared > Optical > Lazer, and DPIs are irrelevant then (you only need more than 1000)

14. CardJoe

CPI! DPI is a printing term! ARGH!

15. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

Would you compare those? I have always felt the G5 laser to be less precise than my 518 and am curious to know if it tracks as good/better than the DA/518.

thanks!

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

most of the high caliber players I know (well, they are CAL-i, which is pretty respectable) do play with low sensivity

and guess what I use ... :D

17. Jodiuh

Jodiuh What's a Dremel?

laser or optical? Steelseries recommends the optical for FPS gamers on the site??

I actually ordered the optical, then switched the laser. Guess we'll find out!

18. metalgearhathaway

metalgearhathaway What's a Dremel?

I've owned my Ikari for over a year now, its been wonderful.

The design encourages a relaxed grip, which is excellent for long term gaming.

All of the switchgear is of high quality, I could not have asked for any more from a mouse.

If this ever breaks, i'll be getting another for sure!

Tags: Add Tags