1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mac gets more games for 2008

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Jan 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Macs play games?? only kidding :)

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

You can run Steam and Team Fortress 2 using Wine in OSX.

5. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I know you can use boot camp to launch windows on Macs... but sometimes the drivers are buggy (eg. trackpad stops working properly on macbook pros under boot camp's XP)... so this news is a good thing.

If only Supreme Commander Forged Alliance came out for OSX... Id buy a mac pro then for sure.

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I wonder if being able to make a photo album whilst in game will be an added feature of OSX Call of Duty 4...

7. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Oooh.. Spore? Awesome! :D

8. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

didn't you pay attentions to the Mac/PC ad's and how Macs are so much better at the fun stuff?

9. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Wont macs have problems, i mean, whats the best gfx card you can get in a mac?

And, wheres the linux port ;)

10. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Well the MBP has an 8600GT (which is better than a lot of PC laptops) the iMac has an HD2600/2400 (worse!) but the Mac Pro can have an 8800GT or a Quadro FX 5600 (this says it has 1.5GB memory, so is that like 2 8800GTXs, but optimised for work?)

11. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

wow, "Mac gaming"...didn't think there was such a thing.....

12. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

will it be locked to one or two resolutions and only mac-approved video cards? options, upgradability, and customizability aren't exactly mac's strong points. and neither are powerful graphics.

13. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

+1

they should start up some linux ports soon. getting tired of using cedega

14. chiper136

chiper136 What's a Dremel?

I used to be a mac gamer...because all my computers were my dads hand me downs. They were oftern good ports, but all the mods and such like would be for PC, and you couldn't play PC v MAC on some games. Add this it the fact that mac games never seemed to go down in prive even years later.

15. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

++

*grumble grumble*

As a user of all three operating systems, the only reason I really turn on my Windows PC anymore is for games. The further we go towards mac and linux, the happier I am. Now if only some of the 'nix users would show some extra love for the more obscure stuff and port it over to Darwin... That's a lot easier than from windows, and there's still not enough love. What I wouldn't give for a proper Leopard version of Aircrack-ng...

16. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

lol i feel for ya on the aircrack-ng mac support (or lack thereof). I mainly use windows for gaming as well and linux for everything else. (AC-NG actually introduced me to linux), although a MAC does get some use every now and then, but that is mainly for video editing.

17. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Only if game manufacturers started making games for Linux aswell, thats the only thing that stops me using Linux as my primary OS

18. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

well Nix, considering (from what I've read) programs/games run faster/better even on less-advanced hardware than a Windows PC, Linux would seem like the way to go for gaming.....yet for some reason it isn't catching speed......

Just take this OpenGL 2.1 vs DX9/10 comparison and you can see that (being open source and available to Linux) it still looks just as good as DX9/10 graphics.....

I wonder how long you'd be "future-proofed" w/ a $2000 gaming rig running on Windows vs. on Linux?

19. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

There used to be a problem (not sure where I read it) with the PPC based macs and games where there is a performance issue with converting between integers and floating points, which apparently was a well used method of reducing hardware requirements, hence the usually higher requirements to run the same game on a PPC mac than a x86 PC. Thats clearly irrelevant now and as far as consumer (not enthusiast) systems go, macs get pretty high spec hardware. They are a bit annoying to upgrade (imacs being damn hard) but graphics cards are changeable from what I gather, you just need Mac edition ones, which are hard to find. The Mac Pros arnt underpowered in the slightest and neither are the Macbook Pros. Hardware wise they are fine, its just convincing developers to program OSX native applications when they could just leave it up to mac gamers to dual boot with windows and do it that way. I suppose this has the advantage of having both operating systems but the disadvantage of being the more expensive / tedious way with naff driver support.

I do game on my mac, its getting old now though, plays C&C Generals fine, AOE3 is laggy but playable at full settings... I guess the fact that I have a new Athlon X2 sat under my desk (this is typed on the mac however) answers the question as to wether macs are any good at games.

Tags: Add Tags