1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 8800 GT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by C:\Joshy, 16 Jan 2008.

1. C:\Joshy

C:\Joshy How much cake can you eat in a min?

hi, i have just built myself a new computer, and am starting to get into gaming, obviously i will need a good GPU. i started off by looking at the XFX 8600 gts but was told they where not verry good. after a bit more looking i looked at the 8800 GT.

just wondares if this would be any good??

Thanks
    =]

2. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

The 8800GT is a good choice for Best Bang for the Buck

3. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

very good card, the G92 chip seems to perform second to none

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I'm very pleased with mine. :)

(Its at least twice as fast as the 8600GTS)

5. G0RD0N FAN

G0RD0N FAN Jeff Gordon #24

6. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I've heard the 1GB version is a waste. The 512 will be suffice.

7. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

If you get a 8800GT choose between the Gigabyte ones and the ASUS cards. they've got the fastest frame rates for stock cards

8. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Yeah you really dont need 1Gb of gaming RAM especially on an 8800GT, go for the 512 version or even the 256 if your using anything smaller than a 20 inch screen

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i spy a good quadro mod in that card.....

10. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

My EN8800GT has the Asus cooler on it (the big fan thing, NOT the reference cooler) and will clock at 700MHz Core, 1750MHz Shaders and 2GHz RAM and stil stay under 80 degrees C.

I was worried about the RAM not having any heatsinks on but I think they get a lot of airflow from the Cooler, and I've noticed no artifacts.

Just a pity Asus bungled the BIOS so only Asus Smartdoctor can read the GPU temp.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What? Reference design cards are made by someone else, then branded have no differences. Any frame-rate differences are just luck.

Also the 1GB frame buffered version is total marketing, the GT's very limited by memory bandwidth as it is, there's no way it can realistically use all that memory properly...

Last edited: 16 Jan 2008
  12. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

Yeah there is the reference card but companies have their own core clock rates, memory clock rates and shader clock rates on the cards. (for example: GIGABYTE core clock = 750mhz while the Asus top edition's core clock = 700mhz) all the cards have different clock rates thats why some are better than others.

13. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

For the most part the physical hardware is the same; vendors simply apply their sticker to the cooler (or install a custom cooler) and flash their BIOS to them. Any differences in the BIOS are the clock speeds and possibly some tweaks to the RAM timings or voltages. I go with eVGA, BFG, or XFX since they offer a lifetime warranty.

14. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

I would go with the Asus. Better cooler and yes, the BIOS are a bit tweaked better. Lifetime warranty means about squat, they know no one will keep a video card for a lifetime. The Asus also carries a nice price. The only piece of hardware I've ever had arrive DOA was an XFX 6800Ultra....since then, I stay away. Probably just bad luck, but it leaves a bitter after taste. Other than Asus I'd consider MSI, eVGA or BFG.
    Basically you can't go wrong with any of the 512MB 8800GT's, it's a great card for a nice price. I've seen a lot of them drop down to $250 which is the same price as the HD3870 and since it performs better, it's the smartest buy right now.

15. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i personally intend to go with a evga card for step-up, better find out if that is a international thing first thou

16. BlueTrin

BlueTrin What's a Dremel?

Well I know that I would be pissed off if my card would burn right after 1 year, if I was on a one year warranty ...

17. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

The Asus cards have 3 years... might as well be lifetime. I'm sure in the year my nice new 2011 my 8800GT will be in my office computer running Word. Even my 1 y/o X1900XT is on a shelf waiting to be pawned off.

18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I love my 8800 GT. Have fun with one!

19. EternalIllusion

EternalIllusion What's a Dremel?

About to get one myself since i am upgrading very soon. I think the lifetime warranty is def a bonus; when you do sell it, it'l be a better value for potential buyers.

20. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Honestly, the lifetime warranty is not a bonus, especially since it's only good for the original owner as is eVGA's step up program. And I looked into the step up when I had an eVGA card, the cost is alarming. I saved $100 by just selling the card and getting the latest one rather than use the program.