1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Petition launched to save XP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jan 2008.

1. naokaji

naokaji whatever

nothing against linux, but theres something it lacks, its called games. game developers should start making linux versions of their games.

2. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

and game developers will only start to develop linux native installers when more people start using linux

3. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Have a look at Phoronix and see what games they use to benchmark Linux systems.

Also, I can use WINE to run some old (but good) games from pre-XP days (ahhh, Win95, the memories).

Anyway, I'm actually going to be using all three OS's on my new system (when I eventually get round to building it), XP, Vista and Linux. I am expecting problems with some older games on Vista (mainly because I'm going to be running Vista x64) so that's why I'm going to buy :)jawdrop:) XP and Vista for the new system (rather than transfer the old license over).

£143 for two OSs. Ridiculous! (only cos I'm going for OEM versions, I'd hate to see how much it would cost for Retail!!!)

Andy

4. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

Can anyone give me 5 good reasons why I should kill my XP and go for Vista?

Considering that my PC is running 100% (at the moment).
    I just don’t see any valid reason(s) for me to upgrade to Vista.

I really think Vista looks good and I have used the Home edition and I was very impressed with it.
    But, so what – it’s still no reason for me to “upgrade”.

Like most people, the day will come when I will go Vista, but until I feel the need to do it, I will remain using XP.

I remember when XP come out, I was one of the first people to stop using Win 98.
    But then I had lots of reasons why I should go from Win 98 to XP, and I’m sure most of you know what I mean.

5. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

My $0.02, There is nothing wrong with XP, in fact, for quite a lot of people its probably a better choice, because it uses less Ram its better for budget machines, its better for graphics (to some extent) work and its better for gaming, Most of this is just due to the fact vista eats Ram

Also, if you want to get to a lot of settings on vista, its many many more clicks
    For example, network connections - XP, Start -> network connections
    Vista, Start -> networking -> interfaces (or something like that), configure connections (or something like that) - it takes far longer to get to the exact same menu on vista

But it definitely has some improvements over XP (like the search part)

However, my main gripe is MS's hard sell tactic
    If users don't want Vista, Why is MS forcing it down your throat, they are giving you no choice

I don't understand why MS is doing this, they didn't do it with 98 when ME came out, they didn't do it with 2000 when XP came out
    In the end, it all screams to me of "Our OS is a turd, but if we give users no other choice they will have to buy it"

6. kempez

kempez modding again!

I 1/2 agree with completemadness in that it is a little "hard sell", although you can't blame MS for wanting to make money out of it's product I suppose.

What I would prefer MS to be "hard selling" would be 64bit...make the industry move to 64bit sa we cut all this faffing around with half and half

Last edited: 16 Jan 2008
  7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'm with Kempez on this.

8. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

/hugs OSX 10.5 and Debian.

Oh, I'm sorry...we're talking about Windows. Yeah. Rah rah, go MS.

If anything, I'm with the guys who say kill off all the 32b versions. Period.

/goes back to the OSes he actually enjoys using.

9. Shielder

LOL Dego! Seconded! Why are MS still publishing 32bit OSs? 64 bit processors have been around for nearly 4 years now. All new pcs are being built with 64 bit processors (except for those running a VIA or is it Cyrix chip). So why are MS still making a 32 bit OS? Oh yes, backwards compatability and all that (from MS? Don't make me laugh!) but you can build a 32bit emulation layer in the 64 bit OS precisely for that purpose. Anyone with half a brain won't upgrade their 32 bit system to Vista anyway, it'd probably run like a dog!

64 bit (linux) all the way.

Andy

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I laugh at all the people who are saying MS is forcing them into Vista... If you have a copy of XP, you just keep it. It's not that it'll stop working in 2 months or something... In 50 years you can still be using XP if you want.

Also, who's forcing you on a new system? Buy no OS, download your favourite flavour of Linux, and install it. That way you'll have a full 64bit OS, 100% customizable to your needs, and at the price of... Well nothing...

11. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'm a little curious to see whether MS will maintain the XP Product Activation servers, will kill them off and give people no way to activate XP, or release some Activation Removal tool.

Time, as always, will tell.

12. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

Will always LOVE XP PRO SP2 and sp3 when i get it

13. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 17 Feb 2008
  14. naokaji

naokaji whatever

rumors have it that there will even be 32bit versions of the next windows os:duh:

15. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

tbh I’ve not spent much time with vista, I’m not to fussed either. My house mate has Vista Home on his shiny new dell, which whilst looking nice is a pain in the arse when it comes to networking. It takes the best part of a week (slight exaggeration) to calculate a file transfer, and then insists on a painfully slow transfer rate.

So for now i'm very happy with my xp pro sp3 machine :)

16. Shielder

I think those rumours (32 and 64 bit versions) are from Redmoond itself via ZDNet (always a reputable source...

If the rumours are true, it is definately a step backwards. Look at the memory requirements for computers in the last 3 years; in 2004, 512MB was standard. In 2007, 2GB is standard. therefore, applying (very) fuzzy logic to this argument, we'll be installing at least 8GB into our machines in 2010. How is a 32bit OS (and associated programs) going to address that memory?

Yet again, more Microsoft "innovation".

Andy

17. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Well, I'm signed up. But the only reason for MS to continue support for XP will be a continued decent volume of sales of XP. That's not going to happen. Sorry, but Joe Public and Fred Business both want new technology in their new equipment. An 800MHz processor and Office 2000 are still adequate for virtually all SOHO needs - but technology relies on the replacement market to bring in the money, whether it's cars or computers.

I may buy another XP OEM with my next upgrade, but two or three years from now I expect to be using a newer OS. XP was a hard act to follow, Vista hasn't got off to a good start, but the hardware will soon catch up.

18. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I wish I could be a fly in your house in 5 to 10 years... Either you are using Vista, or Linux by then... I think it'll be the former...
    Just like games are...
    Or just make Phone activation the default way... It's just a 2 minutes phone call to a free number.

19. Shielder

For now...

2010 rolls around and the number will suddenly be redirected to an 090 number!

Andy

20. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Yeah, because MS is the root of all evil... :sigh:

Tags: Add Tags