1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Team Fortress 2 Sentry Turret - Ammo Dispenser Done - 4/15/08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TiTON, 28 Nov 2007.

1. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Hey! That TiTON fellow stole your idea and beat you to the punch! lol :nono: Next thing you know he'll be taking over your whole life! :eyebrow:

2. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

Lol.. SuAsDu = TiTON. I am one in the same. This is the same case mod. If any mods out there willing to change my nick from SuAsDu to TiTON, it would greatly be appreciated.

Bod.. you are so bad :p Sometime I wish I had a clone so I can mod even faster.

Ton

3. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Bindi should be able to.
    PM him, or he might read this thread tomorrow morning.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not me, I'm not super-enough for name changing. Only semi-super: half satisfaction guaranteed.

5. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

Bindibadgi,

Thanks for all the help. It would be great to have my nic updated.

Ton

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

it's done

7. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

Tim s,

Thank you so much for updating my nic :)

Ton

8. jfab199+

jfab199+ What's a Dremel?

looks great, now I just need to play TF2 some more!

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

theres something missing from that sentry... but i cant quite put my finger on it...
    oh wait! theres no engineer glued behind it swinging his wrench :p

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

no worries, have a five star rating too - awesome work. :thumb:

11. dogneely

dogneely sup

12. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

Hey folks.. i didn't forget about the turret. I lost one of my mem cards w/ the photos. THe good news is I foudn it. So I will be back filling the turret WL till completion. In the mean time, I wanted to start of the 2nd part of this mod.. the Monitor ;)

Check out the next post.

Ton

13. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

[​IMG]

Hey folks,

I wanted to share with you my latest mod. This project is an extension of the TF2 Sentry PC I posted a few weeks back. For this project, I wanted to modify my IZ3D Gaming monitor to fit the Team Fortress 2 Theme. I decided to modify the monitor into the Engineer’s Dispenser. The Dispenser paired with the Sentry seemed like the perfect match. Here is a quick screen cap of the Dispenser from the game.

[​IMG]

For this project, I wanted to go “Green”. Instead of purchasing new material to build the dispenser, I used pieces of MDF, wood, and acrylic that I have saved over time from old desks and previous case mods.

Here are some pieces of MDF from an old desk I had. The table top is 1” MDF, while the black side pieces were ½” thick. The boards were a bit dusty and still had fasteners on them.

[​IMG]

I trimmed the table top that will be used as the backboard, and the black boards will be used for the sides of the case. To make sure the cuts were symmetric on the side pieces, I clamped them together and cut the boards at the same time. The pieces came out a perfect match.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the backboard and side pieces clamped together to make sure everything lined up.

[​IMG]

For the front of the case, I used simply laid another pieced of wood on top and cut straight across. Once it was trimmed to size, I cut a few openings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a pic frame clamped together.

[​IMG]

Stay tune for the next post :)

-Ton

14. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

hey sad dude, this is looking good man :) i'll catch you on msn soon man, need to catch up on stuff

15. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

awesome mate :p

how high is the dispenser?

16. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

Hey Kylevdm,

The dispenser is about 40" tall by like 20" wide by ~13" deep. It is a slight bit shorter then the turret.

Ton

17. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

[​IMG]

Part 2 – Assembly, Painting, and Health Tank

After cutting a top and bottom board for the case, it was time to assemble the main frame. To make sure the Dispenser wouldn’t fall apart, I used a combination of wood glue, and wood screws. I predrilled pilot holes, as well as countersink, to prevent the boards from splitting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wood filler was applied with a putty knife over the screw holes, as well as the seams. This is was an attempt to smooth out MDF edges

[​IMG]

After the frame was dried, it was time to paint. A couple of coat of gray primer and blue paint, and the frame is finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the front piece of the dispenser, hammered bronze paint was used to give it a metallic appearance

[​IMG]

In the game, the Dispenser has an oxygen tank that restores the player’s health. I was able to modify an old fire extinguisher, along with a few pieces of ABS to recreate this item.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is it for now. Till the next post!! :)

- Ton

18. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

[​IMG]

Part 3 – Acrylic Bending and Front Panel Work

Hey Folks,

So far we have the main cabinet cut, painted, and secured. It is time to start working on the front face of the dispenser!!

For attaching the front face of the dispenser to the frame, I used Wood insert screws. All you have to do is drill a hole, and then use a screwdriver to seat it. The wood insert and socket head screw is a perfect combination.

[​IMG]

To attach the health tank to the case, I had to build a mounting plate. The mounting plate needed to have deep counter sink holes to hide the screw head. I did not have a drill bit large enough, so I use my drill press and rotated the piece to get the desired depth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the mounting plate being dry fitted after being apainted.

[​IMG]

To make the drawers for the tools, I cut two pieces of plexi to size, and use a heat gun to bend it to shape before the case was painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To attach the bottom drawer, I attached standard hinges to both the front frame and plexi.

[​IMG]

To have access to the video cables and power, I drill a large hole and re-used the desk table grommet.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the entire case mod so far. Very close to being completed. The next part will have the final details.

[​IMG]

I hoped you enjoyed this post. Catch you on the next post. Any comments or questions, please do not hesitate to post.

Ton

19. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

looking awesome wouldn't mind having that :p

what you doing for the rockets and ammo?

20. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Awesome work mate, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I have a feeling you'll be visited by balaclava and suit wearing smokers more often once this is complete :D

Are you going to make a Sapper too? :p