1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Power-Over-eSATA announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Jan 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. xrain

xrain Minimodder

I almost wont have a reason to keep my hard drives in my computer anymore!

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

The way I see it is that you will only need a small hard drive in your computer for the OS and have everything else stored on a esata drive so you can just unplug and plug into a laptop for example. No need to keep the drive fixed inside a desktop anymore.

4. ToMMo

ToMMo What's a Dremel?

I agree, the most annoying thing about external hard drives are the amount of plugs and wires involved, this is something i would definitely invest in. With 3 externals but only 2 power leads due to one going kaput, it's a pain to keep swapping them over!

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

thats awesome

but i wonder how much power is it going to be able to supply?
    enough to run a 3.5" drive?

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Thats good news!

7. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Agreed, should be interesting to see how much it can actually run. If it can handle a full sized 3.5" high capacity drive, then I'm very excited!

8. Renoir

Renoir What's a Dremel?

I'm looking forward to this development. With a bit of luck my next laptop will have this capability. One question about esata though. I've read on wikipedia that "With passive-adapters, the maximum cable length is reduced to 1 meter, due to the absence of compliant eSATA signal levels" so my question is which chipsets have the compliant signal levels and for those that do do they retain the 2m max cable length? Anybody know?

9. Iorek

Iorek What's a Dremel?

Cool, I don't have any e-Sata yet, but i have a few USB drives that need other power, either pulling a second usb lead or brick. they're a pain :) it'll be nice to be able to power things over one cable (I know some of the USB things are suppose to do it using usb power, but i've not seen it working well yet with bigger disks).

10. g_gimbert

g_gimbert Minimodder

This is really how it should have been in the first place!

Although having a server setup for any major storage needs kind of cancels the need for this with me anyway :)

Certainly would make backing up data easier though without the need to fumble around looking for a power cable.

[Edit] As I see it, it would also make it easier for average-joe to increase the storage in their PC too? [/Edit]

11. PhoneyVirus

PhoneyVirus *_*

First things first there are no speeds on this new SATA-IO, and i been hearing talk about this one cable with power over a year now.
    About USB-3.0 now theres something to talk about system I/O will get dramatically upgrade when USB 3.0 makes its debut in the later half of 2008. Details on the updated spec are sketchy, but Intel (the creator of USB) says it and its partners plan to get the ubiquitous standard up to 5Gb/s. Intel says the new spec will be backward-compatible with previous generations of USB but will have the added benefit of being able to run over either copper or optical cabling using the same connector. USB-3.0 will be finalized in the first half of 2008 and have a rollout similar to the high speed USB-2.0 launch: controllers will initially be available via PCI-Express add-in cards, with motherboard integration slated for 2009. Now with that off my head STOP!! and think your 4Gb USB-3.0 drive plug it in, the full 4Gb USB-3.0 drives data can transfer all that in 1s. So SATA-IO if it had optical and at 5Gb/s then there is some to talk about, so i hope to see optical on eSATA SATA in the up coming years.

PhoneyVirus

12. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

yea cos we all know hard drives are hitting the 3Gb/s limit of sata :duh:

13. Indybird

Indybird Why are you reading this?

This is very cool, but I've had the thermaltake External enclosure that comes with a molex to enclosure power adapter in an Expansion slot. Though it has "no power block", it is still technically two cables, but that doesn't bother me.

-Indybird

14. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

yep, now i keep all my drives fixed inside my fileserver:D. esata is an enthusiast technology. i don't really see a market for esata-only drives. there is no point in me buying a disk that i can only plug into my computer. i want to be able to bring it over to my friends place and plug it into his computer too.

current flash memory has a hard time saturating the 480Mb/s provided by usb2. at this point, usb3 is just wasted bandwidth. also, 4Gb (gigabit) != 4GB (gigabyte). storage is talked about in bytes, bandwidth in bits. eight bits in a byte.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2008
  15. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

thats what external enclosures are for ;)
    i already have a USB + eSATA external caddy, use eSATA on my machine but can hook up USB to connect to others

16. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

There's a solution available now which would suit your needs - namely Ultra's 'Stackable' devices :idea:

[​IMG] (Original pics courtesy of Bjorn 2D)

All the devices are connected to/powered by a single, 180w PSU... such that the PSU itself, is the only device in the 'stack' which requires plugging into the mains :cooldude:

The only drawback I can see with it, is that you can only use Ultra's own products in the 'stack' :idea:

17. iwod

iwod What's a Dremel?

I hope it can power the Western Digital GP Series 3.5" Drive

Tags: Add Tags