1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: MCE V.2 [Update - May 19th - Matrix Orbital mayhem!]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sleepstreamer, 20 Nov 2007.

1. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Nah, that's probably because the LED was pushed in a bit further than the others, so it is'nt directed directly at the edge of the acrylic (I have'nt glued them in place yet).
    Thanks for the great tip dude! You're just full of good advice it seems :clap: I'll see if I can't get another pic with the right settings.

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I want a bargain CNC-machine as well! So lucky to get one of those for that price :wallbash:

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks for the router pics! That was a steal at $150!!! -Even broken! That's a tank of gas and a trip to the grocery store here!

4. Sleepstreamer

Did some work on the Top / DVD drive yesterday.

Cut some 3mm black opaque acrylic, I just hope I got the measurements right.
    [​IMG]

Seems ok, but maybe It'll need some filing later on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought is to make a rounded edge here, should stand out a bit from the main edgy tech- theme. Made a strange bending rig for this, two large pieces of thick acrylic (Needed something very flat), and an acrylic bar to bend the sheet around.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some major cursing I got it to work :) Drilled some holes, and tapped them with M4 to put it in place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Too much plastic! I decided to slap on an aluminum cover-plate aswell :clap:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, what to do next? Good question...

5. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Wow, that piece of plastic looks factory made! I'm not sure about the alu cover though.

6. Sleepstreamer

Thanks dude. Really? I thought it looked MUCH better with it. Oh well, you can't please everyone I guess :)

7. cheezeit

cheezeit What's a Dremel?

Great work!

I'd have to agree with Brinkzor about the alu cover. It seems very streamline with the black acrylic, but the alu cover doesn't look like it lines up perfectly and seems a bit out of place.

8. Sleepstreamer

Ah, I see your point. There'll be a large "frame" on the front that'll cover up all edges and such. The reason why it's a bit further down than the sorrounding parts is because it needed a perfectly straight edge to follow (The edge of the of the plate where the Drive itself is mounted). I confident it'll look very nice in the end :)

9. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

amazing like usual, realy nice cover but I think it looks better without the alu, but it looks good with it on too.

10. Sleepstreamer

We'll see what happens, but for now, it stays on :)

11. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Very nice! Not sure about the alu either though... but it's your mod, so don't let us tell you to do it differently if you like it!
    Hmm.. what about cutting away a little at the bottom of that alu pice so there will be small gap... it might match the look of the alu to the left and right of it better that way... I dunno *shrugs*

12. 12modderz

12modderz L33T еÐ3!

That is one nice mod mate. I'm not to sure on the alu either.

13. Sleepstreamer

Thanks for the feedback guys, This certainly is THE reason to run a project log: To get second opinions :) I'm gonna sit down and stare on the thing for a while now before deciding :wallbash: ...

14. 12modderz

12modderz L33T еÐ3!

^
    |

lol about the last bit. :D

15. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

*ahum* I would also drop that alu piece, the black plexi looks gorgeous and that alu piece kinda kills it for me...

16. makkone-

makkone- Gentlemen.

I Agree with others, looked a lot better without that alu piece. But either way, looks good to me!

17. Sleepstreamer

Okay, so I've been looking at it from every possible angle, making some mockups of the front frame, and I'm _starting_ to agree with you. Although I really don't think it's THAT much better with only acrylic, it does remove the sleek look of the top. Anyways, I'm now moving on in the build, and if you wanna keep bugging me about this Feel free to do so :blush:

18. InferiorPlanets

InferiorPlanets Worshiping the SilverStonehenge™

Sorry to beat the dead horse Sleepstreamer; I gotta agree on the acrylic sans alu. It CURRENTLY takes away from the "where's your drive?" & sleekness factors, but I'll reserve my final opinion for when you make the front frame. That could easily change my current opinion...but what the hell do I know? I'm just a helicopter mechanic :geek: Cheers, and great modding as usual.

19. Sleepstreamer

lol, well you can beat that dead horse as much as you'd like, I just can't guarantee a response ;)

20. perkins teh modder

perkins teh modder What's a Dremel?

thats pretty cool,

i gotta get me one uh them