1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant I'm being kicked out of my flat :|

Discussion in 'General' started by Khensu, 23 Jan 2008.

1. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

Just found this shoved under my door...

The form enclosed is one of the "Housing Act 1988, Section 21(1)(b), Assured Shorthold Tenancy: Notice Requiring Possession".

They misspelled my first name on the form. It's four letters long and very distinctive in English pronounciation. That pisses me off as well - together with the letter being shoved under the door rather than being served in person; although the landlady is about 65, and I'm a 23-year-old, 6ft4 foreign security officer (i.e. the "big f...-off type"). Hm.

I have been living here since May last year. This has been my first "own place" - after having lived in a shared house here in England; and having lived in a property owned by my family in the old country; before that having lived with my parents. It took me a few months to call this "home". I tend to be a very memory-oriented person (the stuff I am able to remember anyway). I cooked in this kitchen, I showered in this bathroom, I slept and did the nasteeh in this bed. And now this is being taken away from me.

I have to leave before 29 March. I do not have the money for a deposit on another flat. She apologises for any inconvenience, that's just plain awesome. That makes me feel a whole lot better - the inconvenience of having to find somewhere else to live in one of the most expensive areas of the country; the inconvenience of having to pay for it; the inconvenience of not seeing my girlfriend properly because I will have to revert to working seven days a week, twelve hours a day, to keep up with the due rent for this place and all the money needed for the next place.

Thank God S. wasn't in her university lectures yet, so at least I got a teary vent on the phone to her. This sucks donkey balls. I pay the rent on time most months. I don't make noise. Why the **** do they want to kick me out?

:(

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

That sucks... Good luck finding a new place. Perhaps leave an egg box (complete with eggs) down the back of a unreachable nook for good measure :p

3. Khensu

:D

Well, I drink too much, and I don't have a car to take the empty bottles to glass collection points (by the time I knew they used GPP in this country, I already had a load of bottles, so yah) , so they'll get to clear that up. And I don't think I'll be paying for the two holes in the wall (tripped, drunk), the broken telephone box thingy and the lightswitch above it (tripped, banged into freezer, freezer banged into box and lightswitch, was drunk)... **** them. If I can get away with it I won't be paying March's rent, either.

I mean, I know I'm being a child about this, but they're kicking me out of my home. This was "a flat" when I first moved in, then after a few months it became home. And now I don't have a home anymore. :waah:

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If you've damanged the flat don't expect your deposit back either.

You don't own the place so they can rightly serve you notice and at least you have two months to find a new place. If you don't have the deposit for a new place ask for it back early (might be a good idea given that fact you sound like you've left it less than perfect).

It's what happens when you rent, that's life unfortunately.

5. Khensu

True, very true - but all I've broken in this flat sounds like "serves them right" at this moment. And yes, two months is quite nice - but still. This is so very, very gay.

And yes, this happens when you rent - but how does a 23-year-old who lost all his money moving to/living in England buy a property? ;)

Ah well, girlfriend promised to help me out, which is a definite soothing factor. As long as she's with me I don't really care where I live, though I of course would still prefer the Canterbury area, as it's nice and there's a lower yob/chav ratio than anywhere else. (And no, this isn't the infamous whore I bitched about in June/July; this has a cute, four-year-long liking/loving story attached to it :p).

I know it's kind of "normal" and all that, but still it sucks serious balls that I am getting kicked out of the first place I could properly call "home"; the first place I lived at which I could consider "mine"; the place where I have great memories, and memories of great ideals... Bah.

6. MystChic

MystChic Geology Rocks!

Look on the bright side - you get to make more memories in a new home! :)

7. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

They aren't kicking you out, they are giving you two months notice. They only have to give ya one month notice unless you have a contract. They have every right to do this, for whatever reason - they do not have to explain that they are changing from a residential to an office building.

Do not expect any of your deposit back without an inspection!

I suggest you repair any damage pronto before the inspection happens. I wouldn't think about not paying any rent either. Why? When you apply to rent another place, they'll probably ask for a reference... look after your landlord and he'll probably look after you.

I would have given you notice just for not paying the rent on time. Paying most months is not good enough! It has to be on time every month! A couple of late payments per year can be excused IF the landlord is asked nicely to be lenient, otherwise it would be asking to be kicked out! You can't go to mcdonalds and pay for you big mac on time most of the time can you? Ever had a big mac meal and paid for it a week late?

Business is business.

If you need a little extra cash for the deposit on the next place, you can always get a credit card with an interest free period. This can be used to get the extra cash, and when you get your bond back that can go into paying off the credit card- interest free, minus an interest charge when you withdraw the cash but hey, better than nothing.
    If the new bond is more than the old bond, you still have 2 months & 55 days, sot hats like 4 months to save for it.
    If you aren't gonna use the card responsibly then don't get it!

It seems you are nowhere near up s#it creek, to me anyway :confused:

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

To be honest the way you've treated the flat makes you sound more like an unwanted tenant.

9. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

I remember the first place I moved into with my now girlfriend then housemate and an other girl we got notice served after 8 months because she preferred to have a 'family' living there. Given at the time we were three professionals who kept the place immaculate and paid the rent every single month on time being kicked out because we weren't a family was a bit of a kick in the teeth. I do hope she now has a nice family living there now with kids vomiting on the sofas and beds and drawing all over the walls with felt tips ;)

However, if you just accept it and move on things generally work out :) My girlfriend, still at the time my housemate, moved down with me to Portsmouth and we started another houseshare with another girl. That particular houseshare didn't work out well as neither of us got on particularly well with the other girl, but a few months before were due to finish our tenancy my girlfriend and I got together and found a really large and very nice seafront flat just for the two of us. We started living there last March and have just signed for another 18 months (our choice) so everything has worked out brilliantly :)

Unexpected change whilst unsettling can have positive results :)

10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I would seriously advise against getting a credit card in order to get some quick cash. More often than not, the "free" cash is never paid back on time. Then you end up with however much interest has accrued, and then you start using it more and more, and the next thing you know you're under a mountain of debt. Maybe you're responsible, maybe you aren't. I don't know you, so I have no idea. However, sometimes it's best to err on the side of caution.

-monkey

11. Major

Major Guest

My 2p.

Our family lets out a lot of houses etc. And although we have never given anyone a notice unless they are total idiots, not paying and damaging a flat will get you no where, and you'll lose all respect from the Landlady, but you'll lose your deposit, all of it. We had a guy who didn't pay rent for 2 months or even more, we couldn't get him out because he knew the rules/laws nicely, we did finally get him to leave, but what a total ******, if I ever saw him again I'd give him a nice big mouthful. Hopefully he will die of an overdose soon as he was a drug addict also.

Yeah it's annoying, but renting is like that, you have to take the risk, and 2 months notice is bloody good, like someone said, 1 months notice is normally what happens.

12. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Credit card route not a good idea been there done that still paying the balance.(Yes i know it was stupid before anyone has a go But i was desperate)

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Shame about you having to move, but some people have some good points about you being a not-so-perfect tenant in this thread.

IMO the cardinal rules for renting property are:
    1) Pay your rent on time, or let your landlord know in advance that you'll not be able to do it on time (and preferably with a definate date when you can pay).
    2) Leave the place how you found it.
    3) Always be nice to them, even if you don't really get along. After all, it could come in handy one day when you need something from them (rent extension for example).

14. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Life is change Kensu. Just keep positive dude. One chapter of your life is about to end, another about to begin. Roll with the punches my man, roll with the punches.

15. naokaji

naokaji whatever

sh*t happens... well they gave you two months notice which is allready more than they have to. its just how living is if you dont earn enough to buy. what you could do is if your old enough (so car insurance doesnt kill you) would be moving away to an unpopular landside area where rents are cheaper. but from the sound of it you got it like me, a car is simply out of reach.

16. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

What a crap position to be in, trust me, I don’t think anyone wants that happening to them, but the sad thing is that it does.

You should be excited about this.

Trust me, you could be in a much worst position, so be happy that at least you have a choice and a girlfriend to help you out.

17. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 17 Feb 2008
  18. dom_

dom_ --->

It is just a possesion. Nothing else. Just some bricks.

I know you say you have memories or like it etc. But it really is nothing more than some bricks.
    Be nice to the people explain you situation and see if they can do an early final inspection so you can get as much of your deposit back as possible before you leave so you have deposit money. Most people are reasonable when you are too.

Also remember if you repair the damage you have caused it will not cost you much. If they have to repair it they will bill you out of your deposit on builders rates which is many many times more.

19. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

crap deal. around here everyone was turning their apartments into condos and the provence made it law that they have to give tenants 1 year notice.
    I was renting a bedroom once in a guys house while i was in school. he sold his house and only gave me a month notice. that was real nice. worst part is he left his CAT for the new owners. if i had the money i would of taken muffin. yes, muffin was his name. and yes, muffin was a guy cat.

20. Khensu

*has calmed down a bit*

Unwanted tenant: almost impossible, as I work 7pm-7am and during those times no one from the offices is here. When I'm here, I'm asleep with the chain-thingy on the door. There's a slight possibility someone came in and saw the empty bottles/damage (which, btw, isn't very big) and thought "sod this", however, but I don't think that warrants making me leave.
    As for not paying the rent on time: that wasn't exactly my choice. No job = a hard time getting together the (expensive, of course... yay for England) rent.

And yes, I'll probably repair the damage. The holes are very small; and the lightswitch/phone box I can probably get at Argos (they're only cracked anyway).

And to top it all off I may lose my shitty job because a fat, big-mouthed English guy has been whining to management about the "night performance" - performance which is being brought down by another fat, big-mouthed English guy, not me. I'm not even allowed to go to work tonight. This has been a great day in Great ****ing Britain.

I'm getting very, very tired of everyone in this country trying to **** me in the ass because they think they can. Ergh.

Tags: