1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Choosing a WoW Realm

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by boiled_elephant, 21 Jan 2008.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

As the title suggests, I'm starting this digi-drug again. I was weak. I missed it. And a bunch of friends are looking for people to play with, which ought to enrich the experience compared to my last outing on the *shudder*Pacific*shudder* servers.

My main complaint with WoW, though, was that it's populated mostly by illiterate, immature, perverted, insincere f***wits. So...are there any realms known for having a nicer/smarter userbase? Or any guilds in any realms?
    Maybe I'm searching for fool's gold. It's the net, after all. But I'm an optimist, so I thought I'd ask.

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think RP servers are a good place to start, RP servers tend to have more mature people on there.

3. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Problem with the RP realms is that they are much harder work for the casual player. My limited experience with them was interesting, I can see the attraction but they seem less fun imho. I'd find a server with a big population, and then find a decent guild instead. Better chance of success that way.

I've just gone back to the old addiction on Xavius. Unfortunately it's one of the servers that's had a lot of people leave so the PVP went a bit lopsided, it's in a bit of middle ground right now - it's available for free migration though so it should start picking up again.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

RP is a good suggestion, but frankly it hasn't appealed to me since neverwinter nights. The standards are too variable, the DMs too pretentious. I like the idea of it, but in practise I always get frustrated by the confines it brings with it - like you say, it's just not good for a bit of fun.

Any guilds suggested? I know you can browse them on wow-europe, but they ALL sell themselves as the best thing since sliced bread, so it's hard to tell.

5. Renze

Renze What's a Dremel?

Any server you play on will always be a mixed bag. It all depends on who your playing with, if your planning to play with friends then just pick a server that you think will be fun.
    As for guilds its the same, you'll get some nice ones and some hardsore 'STFU-noob' ones that won't ever bother to help you.

Best advice I could give is to just try out different servers/guilds until you find one you like. WoW lets force you to stay on which ever server/guild you pick, so just move around until you find somewhere comfortable.

I just started playing again myself. I'm on Argent Dawn, its an RP server and its quite fun. I'd like to switch to a PVP/RP-PVP server, but I have friends and good characters on AD and can get my PVP fix at the battlegrounds.
    Another thing about RP servers is that you dont have to RP if you don't want to, but it can sometimes make a guild more fun, and give you something to do when u take a break from grinding :p

6. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Could always try Horde on a High Pop Server. Although it is my own exerience (70 Alliance, and a 70 Horde). I found the horde to be a bit more mature. Given that alot of folks view the horde as "evil" you could argue that majority of folks will roll with the Alliance, leaving the Horde to those truly interested in a different view of the game. That is just my opinion though. I won't say that you won't run into idiots on the horde, you definately will, and I'de say it is fools gold to try finding a server with none of that stuff on either faction. If you do go Horde, stay out of The Barrens, that is where you will find most of the idiots of the server.

7. Slink

Slink B7

to be fair every server i've played on has had it's bad points. After having my warlock on 4 different servers i'm happy with him on Kul Tiras PVE. So much so I've just leveled a rogue up on there as well.

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I'm on Outland and back when I was playing there were a lot of good people on the server.

9. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

to be honest all the best guilds are in GUILD WARS :)

10. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

My experience from 3 years of playing wow (not continously) is that wow is a rather large group of people (10 million at present) that are greedy,selfish and immature in most cases. Lets face it, in order to succeed in wow, you must comply to all the characteristics mentioned. The bad thing is that even if you are not this kind of person you can become one with the "help" of wow.

However there is also the other side of the coin. You can play with friends and have fun, playing the same dungeons all over again, grinding pve missions all over again, pwning lowbies in STV etc, BUT! you will eventually get bored and want to carry on. Sooner or later you will have the ambition to conquer all the raid bosses and face Illidan himself, that's when wow stops being a game and becomes more than a challenge but a daily routine which comes with all the "good stuff"... politics, guild arguments, greediness over loot, supposedly-hacked accounts, the "1 static group only going to karazhan" thing while the others have to stand there and look and so on. And after that you are starting to hate the game, you remember how good it was when you first began playing it with friends and you decide to reroll a new character that will make the difference. It's exciting in the beginning but once you hit the top level and get all the casual gear you are beginning to feel the need to visit black temple with your new character. It's a vicious circle basically and blizzard is always there smiling back at you deviously when you re-activate your account.

edit: What I learned is that Wow isn't casual when it comes to end game content (karazhan and beyond). You are fooling yourself if you're starting to think that it is. When the moment comes to raid karazhan and any instances beyond you will begin organising you life arround wow. Even if you say to yourself that you're only going to raid 2 nights a week, this is impossible in most cases since your guild has to have a really good organisational structure, have honest raid leaders that won't replace you with stupid excuses and most of its members are following the schedule.

edit2: so basically, regarding the thread topic, better to quit the game than join a guild :D

Last edited: 23 Jan 2008
  11. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Don't go Uldum, my guy is on there, in our battlegroup i think it was voted best for drama. Those were days of yore though, before this BC crap,(I really miss 60 raiding, lol) Our forums were also quite full of "Your alliance presets fail to deliver." I think every realm has a few of those though. Half of them can be general dumbasses, or ignorant. When I reactivate it's kind of a gradual downhill slope from trying to be polite to being a complete ass because i'm sick of morons. I'm sorry, I've just deactivated once again, for reasons faIIen explained rather well, the guild drama kara drama, hunter greediness(legendary in my guild). But enjoy.

12. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Apply to Nihilum on Magtheridon-EU. #1 Guild in the world :D
    I both like and hate my server. Bronzebeard-US is populated with some really cool people and a bunch of my RL friends, but oh my God. The amount of Drama and stupidity by 70% of the players makes me cringe. When someone asks in trade chat "How do I attack things" or "Why is it that I can't type in trade channel when I am not in a major city" it makes me want to quit

13. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

This is off topic but brett and automags you two are in my battlegroup (Cyclone; I am Boulderfist - Horde). Interesting, I wonder if i've come across you two in battlegrounds.

14. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a F'ing big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol, and dental insurance. Choose fixed interest mortage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suite on hire purchase in a range of F'ing fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the F you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing F'ing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, F'd up brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life. Not World of Warcraft.

15. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

My guild recruits 18+'s exclusively, unfortunatele if you are rerolling your gear probly wont be up to it :S

Im on neptulon but we have been getting queues recently so I probly wouldn't recommend it.

16. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

Amen brother :lol:

17. automagsrock

It's possible. MY noob warrior is named "Myrmccheese" I don't PvP all that much, but we might have fought and I'm pretty sure that if we did you kicked my ass :p

18. automagsrock

Sorry to double-post, but I have to add my $5 to this:

I play WoW. I work 40 hours a week. I go out on weekends. I have friends over to watch movies/play cards/drink/etc. I am currently working at paying off my 3 credit cards and my Explorer. I spend time with my family. I have health insurance. I go to the gym 4 times/week after work. I had a GF, but she cheated on me while I was out of the state. I am not miserable. I can't afford fancy luggage and clothes, but I wear what I like and can be comfortable in.

I really don't see why so many people say things like this as soon as someone says "I play WoW" I had friends say some things included in that to me "You play WoW? You're gonna get fat and get acne." South Park did a great job with the WoW episode, and while yes, some players are like that, I would guess closer to 75% of the 10 million that play do not. I've played WoW with people ages 12-70 (seriously, he was funny on vent. Kept bringing up stories and what not). I know that stereotyping people is easy and fun, but seriously, before ranting and putting up things, it really helps to know what you are talking about. I'm not trying to be an asshat, but not all of us WoW players are like that guy from the South Park WoW episode and live alone and play 24/7.

19. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

My guess is, 25% of the people are in a critical condition(cartman like) this includes, guild leaders,raid leaders, hardcore pvpers etc. more like 60% are addicted (those that do high lvl instances are addicted for sure, since they are planning their life based on wow)...and only 15% are not, but they'll quit soon enough cause they realise the game is taking up too much of their time.

Seriously if I were a mathematician i would come up with a formula that proves how people can get addicted with wow. I'm so confident with the facts but i don't have the knowledge to prove it in numbers :p

20. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

..Watch a film called Trainspotting.

Tags: