1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Why wont you use Vista?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mother-Goose, 23 Jan 2008.

1. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

I ran it, from not long after release until about 2 months ago. I stopped because there were too many driver/software issues. I have Vista Ultimate and will probably reinstall it if/when I get more RAM and the driver/software issues are resolved, I am tempted to set it up as a dual boot lately though.

2. nigelleg

nigelleg What's a Dremel?

After lots of thought I went with Vista home premium on my new system
    I was using windows 98 at home and XP at work
    Still using my old system at home for internet and email as I have another 4 weeks to wait for my ADSL on new system to be set up.
    So at this stage I am using 3 different machines a day on 3 different operating systems

I am so glad I went with Vista I cant fault it I love the features esp picture gallery I have installed my old quake 3 arena runs like a dream and COD4 runs perfect so no problem from gaming side

I have not had a single crash or fail to run etc (hope it stays this way)

It just seems very user friendly to me and at the end of the day its the new system and it made no sense to go with a old op syst

Very happy with Vista

Cheers

Nigel

3. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

I used it for a while and thought it was okay, I was a bit disappointed that with all the work they put into it none of the features seemed truly innovative. I had some issues at the time with my 3d programs working right and finally got tired of loosing productivity so I switched back. Since the switch I have never really missed anything except the slightly improved solitaire game and I think that says a lot.

4. TeChY_07

TeChY_07 New Gaming Rig Underway!!!

Most people don't want to use Vista because not everything supports it, while on the other hand, like 99.8 percent of software is made almost specifically for XP.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

and Vista runs fine on Sempron 2800+ with 512MB of RAM. even with Aero enabled. my old machine is just as out dated as the one you've listed.

totally agree, some of you just installed Vista for an hour, before all the background features such as indexing, superfetch to work its wonders.

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

[​IMG]

AERO use GPU (that the videocard if you don't know) RAM...

7. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Now that it has been out for a while these seem to have melted away somewhat, there are alot of drivers out there that work, ever single piece of equipment in my rig works, and I've never had an issue with the 8800gtx drivers.

I guess this leads us to another question then.

If you were doing a new build, would the hardware you chose be affected by vista compatability? (it was for my new build, which could by why I haven't had any problems).

p.s. Glider - lovely annotation!

8. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

IMO, the biggest issue is why I should change to VISTA when my XP is running well.
    I have no problems with my PC and everything I need, I have.

I remember when I moved from Win 98 to XP – to me that was worth it.
    XP offered so much more, it actually made sense for me to upgrade.
    But with Vista, I’m battling to justify this expense.
    Vista is not exactly cheap and Microsoft has made a real mess of it by offering so many choices.
    WHY!!!! Why don’t they just stick to 2 versions, a Home and Pro/Office edition!

Anyway, VISTA looks good, but the problem is justifying the upgrade expense.

Eventually, I’m sure I will move to Vista, but I will only do that when I really have too. :hehe:

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

WRONG! They are more Windows XP versions then Windows Vista. Let me List them:

Windows XP Home
    Windows XP Professional
    Windows XP Media Center (Home + Media Center)
    Windows XP Tablet PC
    Windows XP Pro 64-bit
    Windows XP Itanium Edition 64-bit

6 VERSIONS!

Then Vista:
    - Windows Vista Basic (Design to run on old computers)
    - Windows Vista Home Premium (32/64-bit + XP Home + Media Center + Tablet PC + Some extra software)
    - Windows Vista Business / Enterprise (32/64-bit + XP Pro + Tablet PC + Advance backup features + Just few of the extra software)
    - Windows Vista Ultimate (EVERYTHING: 32/64-bit + XP Pro + Tablet PC + Advance Backup + Extras + Some extra software + Media Center + Bit-lock Encryption)

That is 4 edition total, were only 3 you need to consider.

The "Some extra software packs" list:
    - Windows Contacts
    - Windows Mail (better then Outlook Express)
    - Windows DVD Maker (with HD support)
    - Windows Movie Maker
    - Windows Calendar
    - Snipping Tool (screen shot utility)
    - Windows Side Bar
    - Windows Media Player 11 Vista (not the same as the one in XP)
    - Windows Slideshow
    - Windows Preview (preview pictures and Video)
    - Windows Photo Gallery (with basic picture editing tools, organize your picture and (yes) videos, )
    - Windows Easy Transfer
    - Sync Center
    - Speech Recognition
    - Diagnostic Tools
    - Windows Defender
    - Usual software (calculator, sound recorder (improved!) paint...)

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

11. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Because i am an elitist **** who balks in the face of progress and demonstrably better products!

12. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

I'm sure this is the case, it was improving the longer I ran it. I can't even remember which software/drivers I had the major issues with now :blush: I definately had problems with my G15 keyboard driver, mobile phone software, itunes (for a while) and the odd other bit of software too such as no sound when using a webcam in MSN.

Nothing major but things that aggravated me a little each day.

13. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Ah the phone, sony ericsson by any chance? bloody sony, I love their products but still ahte getting shafted by them.

14. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Your not starting that ****... Ubuntu and RHEL (and OS X?) both include much more code in the form of included software than Vista by a country mile so of course there are going to be more flaws found. Next problem how many flaws were not reported, how many were not security related etc. Also note the difference between fixed and unfixed between MS and others what is the mean time from reported to fixed. With out more validation (which the original article doesn't provide) your chart isn't worth the photons that delivered it to my eyes.

15. Glider

Glider /dev/null

16. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Actually in XP you can discount all but Home & Pro in most cases (in other cases there is only one real suitable version) and if you separate the 32 & 64 bit editions in Vista (as you did for XP) then the number of versions of Vista doubles.

17. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

i dont know what everyones probs with vista are. when i installed it, i did not have to install a single driver but i did anyways because it made me feel better. The only piece of hardware in my pc that i couldnt find a driver was for a POS win-tv-go tv card. so instead of crying bout it i just took it outta my system. vista has to be the fastest os ive used, i got 4gb of ram the other day because it only cost me 65 dollars so i dont have a problem doing anything on my pc. I saw little to no fps drop in vista than i did in xp. and this is playing bf2 and 2142 on a 6600GT.

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Linux is free and the gfx card mfrs now provide acceptable quality drivers
    Add Compiz and all that Vista Aero bling is mine on VASTLY reduced hardware requirements (It runs on an Eee for Pete's sake!)
    Add Wine and I can play Far Cry at acceptable frame rates (admittedly, not on the Eee).

Short answer, Vista? why bother!

19. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I've got it on one system (which replaced my MCE system) and it's fine but there are a few things it won't do (mainly vertical span) so I have to use XP on my main system (I'm not willing to give up on my jumbotron).

Edit: for you Linux users: Does Linux have something like span mode (where the system sees/treats 2 monitors as one larger one)?

20. Max Spain

Max Spain What's a Dremel?

Con's for Vista:
    1. DRM: this is an absolute deal breaker and is also the reason why I won't try the new Macs.
    2. Performance: ZOMG Vista is slow. In one benchie I saw a 50% performance increase from upgrading to XP.
    3. No new features. What more can I say about that one.
    4. Shoddy form over function interface design.

Pros for Vista:
    1. Um...DX10 is a disappointment, but it should offer some visual improvements.

XP does everything I still need a Windows machine to do (gaming) and Ubuntu does the rest. I value my data and privacy too much to use an OS designed for DRM, so unless M$ releases a 64-bit Ultimate DRM-free edition I'll be sticking with XP and Linux.

Tags: