1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Why wont you use Vista?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mother-Goose, 23 Jan 2008.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

:sigh: Bit-Tech really needs sarcasm tags. I was being funny, you
    pleb
    , I don't actually imagine anyone at M$ said "Convert or Die!" in a conference :wallbash:
    I count at least 22 people offering valid reasons for either postponing their switch-over, dual-booting, or not switching at all. They also seem a lot more chilled out about it than you and the canadian rabbit: no flag-waving from our half, we're just not as bothered as you are. Honestly, what about the issue is getting you so affronted? Why does the majority's choice not to upgrade their OS offend you so much?

Last edited: 26 Jan 2008
  2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

There might be 22 persons stating reasons, but there aren't 22 reasons...

As I already said, people who don't UPGRADE I fully understand, but it's the ones who are building a new system and want to put XP on it I don't understand.

Also, the ones judging Vista without using it, or after using it for 10 minutes, are the ones that get my blood boiling. Why? Those are the same people who install Linux, can't work with it and scream out loud that it sucks. People who base their opinions on their resistance to changes. Vista is a good product, and it beats XP on multiple fronts. Me being quite into PC security I don't understand how someone in their right mind can say XP is more secure then Vista. UAC might be bugging you a lot when you set up your system, but once it has been set up correctly it just works, and adds a lot of security.

In short, Biased opinions == unfair, facts based opinions == :thumb: I don't mind people hating Vista, I do mind people hating Vista just because...

3. korhojoa

korhojoa durr

I do use vista. I won it from Microsoft, so, meh. I got to replace my (semi-legal) xp pro installation, with a 64-bit one, so now it sees the full 4gb of the system, etc.
    I like it, works good enough, and isn't exactly slow. Loving they hybrid sleep too.

4. Computer Gremlin

Computer Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Well I took the bait Glider but my 'reasons' for not using Vista are not invalid. I invested a thousand dollars on a Desktop Headroom headphone amp and four hundred and thirty dollars for Sennheiser HD 600 headphones. Add a X-Meridan and it is nearly two grand in audio equipment that would become a useless paper weighs if I used Vista due to the un-secure nature of SPDIF output being disabled due to built-in DRM.

Many of the open-source music editing software I use for editing, extracting and converting file types won't work either. They work by copying audio streaming in the computer through the sound card from the CD or portable DVD player in the SPDIF output while the on-board audio chip is bypassed. It is usually a USB to mini-B, optical cable or solid-core analog RCA attached to a remote device than passed back to the computer in a loop back to a set of Klipsch speaker or headphones.

Treating the user like a pirate is also another issue and with the downfall of DRM is CDs, Sony's massive back-lash from root kits and Zune's terrible sales it should have been clear to Microsoft that any DRM hard-coded into the operating system would be met with anger.

In fairness I would use Vista if the following changes were made:

1) All DRM, Trusted Computer Technology, secure media channels and media controls removed
    2) Ability to play back HD and Blue-Ray disks in any media player with any LCD monitor while using universal video drivers.
    3) A stream-lined user interface with less glossy edges.
    4) Amazing DX 10 graphics that put DX 9.0C to shame.
    5) 25% faster than Windows XP with a boot-up time of less than thirty seconds.
    6) Good driver support

If Vista Ultimate had all six of the above features I would buy it without any hesitation.

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

so would i actually.

6. knowyourenemy

knowyourenemy Professional Winner

Ditto.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

This is not related to Vista Just a curiosity question for Tyinsar

I used to have Dual screen, it was basically my 2 17inch old CRT monitors: 1280x1024 on both of them
    Just curiosity....
    Do you really need Span mode? Wen I had my dual screen setup, I hated that and never understood why they put that option in. I mean your task bar is spanned on 2 screens, so it's harder to find your application on it. You always an application in task bar that is between the 2 screens, which is annoying, as you think their are 2 of them. You can't even maximize 2 applications so you can work. And to top things over, you have a bit fat 2inch (ok, fine ~1inch for an LCD setup) in the middle of the program or game. So I wonder just for curiosity sakes why you need such mode. Maybe Nvidia thinks like me, and that is why they are in absolute no hurry in making it happen.

I wish I had a dual screen setup to try things, maybe you can, it's maybe just not in front of your face like in XP... anyway...

8. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Myself, i'm not using vista because i can't

Seems other people on the internet with the same mobo have the same problem: the mobo hard-lockups after 5-10mins of running vista...

The mobo is rock stable running XP or memtest for days at a time, but can't handle more than 10mins of vista, even a base install from the DVD with no extra programs/drivers installed :blah:

9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I'm using two TripleHead2Go adapters and my desktop is 2 screens high by 3 wide (total of six 19" screens). In order to game on this I need to use span mode. I've posted pics in the room + computer thread & the show your desktop thread.

Edit: Here (now on an 8800GT & this is still a temporary setup but I have plans :naughty:) & Here (pic changes weekly but I find the taskbar on the left to be great).

Last edited: 27 Jan 2008
  10. GoodBytes

There is a Vista edition of your mobo Cyrilthefish, Asus M2N32-SLI Premium Vista (If I'm not mistaken)... the mobo is the same as yours.. just has extra fancy menchy accessories. So I think it's a BIOS issue (update?), or you have something mal-functioning, OR your doing something really bad with Vista.

11. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Put simply: there is no good reason to upgrade from XP Pro to Vista.
    I have an Athlon64 3800@2.5Ghz, 2GB Ram and a ATI x1950pro - DX10 (even if it did add anything tangible) is out of reach for the moment. I plan to upgrade towards the end of the year and if Vista is still the main operating system by then I'll make the jump to a dual boot (I also plan to try out a Linux distro or two with some older hardware).

12. Justinin3d

Justinin3d Nvida Powered

I have been using Vista for a few months now and I cant go back to XP, only reason I would if I had to downgrade to 1GB (Vista does seem to chug a bit here), but yeah I cant go without the Sidebar (Everest Widget, Time, Date Widgets etc etc) and even the Vista Start Menu is way better then XP's.

oh and the most best but little feature in Vista has to be the Volume Mixer (besides DirectX10, maybe not now but yeah it will pull through).

13. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

i use both. all this vista hating and whatnot seems to be for less than logical reasons to me.

sure - both the pc and laptop i play games on still run XP - but look in my sig and you will see why. vista will not offer hardware that old any significant improvements.
    however, my backup desktop and my newly acquired old tablet are both running vista - and quite well considering the specs.
    the backup desktop has it because i really need to get under the hood of vista since at next hardware refresh @ work - vista will be on them. probably a year away.
    the tablet - well - i don't have the xp tpe disk - and have you ever tried to find tablet edition without buying a new tablet? PITA.
    vista supports the tablet features out of the box, better than XP ever did.

i did get the blank Windows Update thing some people have had - but sp1 rc clearid it up fine.

14. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Justinin3d, they are gadgets :p

I have been using Vista for around 4 months, and I have not really had many crashes or anything like that. Strangely, all the crashes are when the system is at stock; overclocking seems to cure the problem.

15. G0RD0N FAN

G0RD0N FAN Jeff Gordon #24

As for myself I have really not seen any benefits to upgrading for the expensive costs associated with it. I will just hold out with XP.

16. GoodBytes

Gordon, you system is WAAAAAYYY more then enough to run Vista.
    OEM is inexpensive.

17. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

First off, welcome aboard Bit, Apoca1yps0

Pardon my ignorance here, but with all the features turned off, what exactly makes it different from XP?

@ Goodbytes: I'm really glad Vista is working out for you. Really, I'm happy for you. My question is, can you accept that Vista isn't for everyone? The fact that someone doesn't like it, with or without a good reason, is not an attack upon you personally. Likewise, i'm a linux user, but I realize *nix isn't for everyone. I encourage others to try it, help them when I can, but at the end of the day I don't think less of someone because another OS works better for them.

Personally, I honestly don't remember all the reasons I decided not to go to Vista (it's been a couple of years now). I remember that some of them were related to DRM issues (some of which it sounds like may not have been implemented). I seem to recall that some of it was related to MS bragging about it's "ease of use", which in the past has meant "we've hidden the settings so you can't screw it up". I remember a lot of it had to do with the advertising that Vista was the greatest OS ever created and everyone has to switch to it because it will make your life so much better. In any event I decided that I had had enough of MS and made to switch to linux. It took me a couple of iterations before I got all the bugs ironed out (mostly), but now aside from gaming I can't imagine any reason to boot into Windows.

If I ever find the time, then it's possible that someday in the distant future I will run a version of vista dual booted for gaming. More likley if I have the time go play games I will have the time to get Cedega or Wine figured out and XPpro64 will remain the last MS product I ever own.

18. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Well said! Even more Kudos as this is from someone who is an ardant Linux man (you communist Glider you ;))

19. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

I used vista ultimate 64 bit until about 2 weeks ago since september, ended up switching back to xp as I got graphics lag at random intervals in wow (driver issue, i know) , not good when you're in an instance.

Apart from that I thought it was a really good OS, gonna hang on to this license for the next PC I build (prob next year) but will stick to xp until then.

20. Oclocker

Oclocker What's a Dremel?

tried it unimpressed - back to XP. just flashier version is all imho.

Tags: