1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Borealis 2/28: Mini Text Update. Still here....

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Qhs, 3 Nov 2007.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Very Nice.

2. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Funny story about the PSU sleeving. I first sent an email to Per-PCs to see if they could individually sleeve the 24-pin ATX, all four of the PCIe, and the 8-pin ATX. I got one email saying it will take a while and cost $99.99 and another one, one hour later saying it will be done same day $49.99. I replied asking them "Are you sure it will be same day?" They said yes. So I went ahead with the order. It took them two hours. Wait, what??? :wallbash: It took me freaken two days to remove 12 ATX pins. So I called and the sales department and they thought I was talking about just one sleeve for the whole bundle. Lol so I told them about each wire has its own sleeve. "Ooooohhhhh" they said. So to keep this short, the rep who sent the first email was right and Per-PC never had such a request before.

Same here. After the first Chassis not fitting, my schedule was in shambles. I think my ingenuity killed one whole tree. :miffed: At least it was scrap paper.

The TEC chiller comes from Coolit. http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Thanks guys. Got that momentum going. Just finish sketching an idea for the Boreas Visible/Logo Side and the Front Panel (Will begin doing that Phase around April 2008)

3. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

ohh, gotta love the case and the individually sleeved cables.

4. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Thanks! Just as 500mph stated, I'm sure Per-PC cried when I sent that custom project. :waah:

Started work on the Boreas Visible/Logo Side of the Chassis. Another package from Per-PC will come tomorrow so a break from cutting aluminum and sleeving to do Friday night. Good thing for Winter Break... MORE TIME!! :rock:

5. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Ugh just when I find a power supply I like, Corsair brings this baby out. A 1000W Modular PSU. Source is page 15 of 02/08 CPU Mag. :wallbash: Its Modular, Blue, which matches the Borealis' theme, and 1000W. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

One thing that catches my attention is the True Dual Rail Design. Supposedly The Corsair HX1000W PSU will have two transformers instead of the current generation where they say two rails, but in effect its just paralleled and combines to one on the PCB. Release date in early 08.

[​IMG]

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Any updates?

7. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Didn't do much recently with the break gone and all. Bought a Thermochill 120.3 rad, 3 Sanyo Denki San Ace. 102CFM @ 39dBA each! A sexy ratio. (I think I sucked the supply dry. All stores in the US that used to stock them say they can't get a hold of the supplier. One of them was a refurbished one off Ebay :\ Best I could do.) Some watercooling materials (EK Supreme, 2 DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top), and some more stuff from ChilledPC (120.3 Shroud, 120.3 Radgrill).

Also, been doing some work in CAD. Yes I lied when I said I will not use CAD or sketchup. Polyline tool is DA BOMB. :) Thinking of doing a Version 3 of the Boreas Chassis. lol. In Talks with Tom over at ChilledPC about laser cutting and powdercoating (His mind is garbled with Taxes at the moment :( ).

I'll post a small update on Sunday, the only day I am free.

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Aw, man! Just after I snag an Ultra X3 1K PSU two weeks ago! Oh well. I'll catch one later on down the road again, I'm sure.

9. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

I've been inactive for a while, but this makes me wanna mod and do it right this time around...

10. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Ditto. I just got a 750TX. :wallbash:

Lol if you have the time, go for it. It should be fun :D

11. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Time for a mini update.

Lets start with Tribal's work. It get more and more crazy everytime! A good thing! The 120.3 grill has the same kind of stripe design as this so its sorta matching :) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just some more sleeving for the fans and the pumps. Also worked on the radiator. It is a Thermochill 120.3 w/ 120.3 performance shroud and 120.3 grill from Tom @ ChilledPC. Got the anodized version, but I might switch to the powder coated version.

Also got the 3/8 to G1/4 brass reduce from ChilledPC.

[​IMG]

Only got two brand new Sanyo Denki's. Could not get a hold of a brand new third one. Only choice I had was to get a refurbished one from ebay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pump is DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's Top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got 10 G1/4 1/4" compression fittings made by Koolance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got EK Supreme CPU Waterblock. Thinking of getting the Acrylic Top and using some Blue LEDs to light this up. Here with Koolance fittings installed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More sleeving.

[​IMG]

Some minor case modding. Removed the middle divider in the wire management holes so its one whole opening instead of two before.

[​IMG]

Now played around with the radiator. Im going to use Push for this build. To blow cool air into the rad and case.
    Here are the layers from bottom to top: Rad->Dust screen->120mm Rubber fan mount->Sanyo Denki->Shorud->Grill

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tested the fans and all of them work. OMFG SO QUIET BLOWING AT A COMBINED CFM OF 306!!! :rock:

[​IMG]

So that is it for the mini update. Instead of the silver low socket head screws, I ordered some Brass socket head screws to match the brass shims on the Sanyo Denki Fans.

Didn't take pictures of it, maybe next time:
    1. Got two 80mm ACRyan Blackfire UV Blue fans to blow the hot air out the Chassis once the Broreas Chiller gets hot.
    2. Got two Aqua Computer Laing DDC Poweradjust for the two DDC 3.2 pumps .
    3. Salvaged one Aqua Computer Aquero VFD from my previous build. Didn't really use it in the old build, The Aquero will be powering the three Sanyo Denki fans.

BTW, disregard that cigarette lighter. I use that for the heatshrink, not to smoke. :nono:

Till next time!

つづく....

Last edited: 27 Jan 2008
  12. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Dude this res is going to be hot! I just got done cutting out those 3 pieces. I filed them and sanded them some too. I have to bend, sand some more and then polish or maybe I'll polish last. I dont know. These pieces go together so well,... its amazing. I'm goign to post an update very soon.

13. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

:D Can't wait!

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I love that format for your rad + fans etc, brilliant idea.

15. MonkeyNutZ

MonkeyNutZ Crysis Fiend

16. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Updated man. check it out:)

17. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Thanks guys. I'll take a picture of the rad setup again once I get the Brass socket head cap screws. All the Brass will matchup. :)

:jawdrop:

Just to specify something for everyone. The 120.3 rad will be cooling future GPU(s). The CPU will be cooled by the monster Boreas TEC Chiller.

18. Barrolde

Barrolde uber cool

zomg

Sam!

You are out of Control.. I'm glad you redesigned it though.. the Chiller is going to need some 'breathing room' :D

Keep up the good work!:rock:

19. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

zomg lol. Trying to use as much hexx mesh as possible. Also have plans for 2 80mm fans to blow the hot air out if it does get hot.

20. Qhs

Qhs µ modder

Awesome. Now I am ready to put up some sort of update.

Borealis has been in stasis for quite a while now. No huge changes since the SuperNova Update. I've been getting little things done here and there such as getting the liquid components together, tubing, tubing springs, spray painting mounting plate for CPU block, etc. Im staying away from getting the GPU waterblocks since the GPU market changes almost every 1/4 of a year now.

Now the big news is that Tom @ ChilledPC has OKed the laser cutting job. Now I will have Vr3 of the chassis soon. Spent quite a while in AutoCAD to get the design together and getting the holes to match. Hopefully everything matches up. I have a tendency to screw up [lol?]. Like for Vr1 of the Chassis, the screw holes for the side and top panels were off my a full centimeter. I fail. So that should take about 2 to 3 weeks.

Tribal is almost done with the res. Bravo on his part for his awesome and unequivocal work! I'll be using 3/8" ID tubing.

Lol Im still aiming to finish this before Episode 3 of HL2 is released.

Tags: