1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Woolworths to ditch HD-DVD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jan 2008.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

HD DVD's drm wasn't much more than DVDs, basicaly non invasive, the same cannont be said of BR (BD??) where some early Blu ray players already are incompatible.

2. Eloquence

Eloquence The cake is a lie!

BD+ only checks to see if your player has been modified. Otherwise, they both use the same broken DRM.

As for compatibility, (I assume you're meaning the broken compatibility with BD+), that was fixed with a firmware update.

Speaking of which, (correct me if I am wrong) I thought that early HD-DVD players are incompatible with the new triple layer HD-DVD's?

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

QFT. Ignoring the pink elephant in the living room, I suppose.

QFT.

...MPIAA? :confused: What does the Mount Pleasant Italian American Association have to do with next-gen optical media entertainment?

QFT.

4. steveo_mcg

Rough amalgamation for the two alphabety maffias... http://mafiaa.org/ :lol:

I couldn't care less who wins (won) this war, its kinda irrelevant since (to quote avp) WE lost.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2008
  5. E.E.L. Ambiense

This is true, man.

6. steveo_mcg

What you mean like an unlicensed Linux box?

7. Eloquence

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD+

So, im guessing, as long as you didn't mess around with the Blu-ray drive itself, it wouldn't matter what you did to the PC.

8. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

I wish HD-DVD would win the fight – just to see Sony lose.

9. Trekari

Trekari What's a Dremel?

1) How can anyone think the Blu-camp will lower prices on their hardware if they do not have competition from the HDDVD side?

2) BR is a fantastic piece of engineering, if you enjoy the idea of already obsolete hardware for the thousands of customers who bought a player due to launching without finalized specifications.

3) Cheering for the higher storage capacity disc (which is not true anyways if you are suggesting BR has more capacity) is an asinine and idiotic thing to do. Do you watch 1s and 0s float by on your television like the Matrix, or are you watching a movie? What should matter is the quality of the product. If someone can empirically AND subjectively show that technical details allow one format to reproduce the content BETTER than the other in a noticeable way, then you might have an argument.

10. steveo_mcg

But you still need software to view the content, Linux never got a licensed dvd player, thus why css was cracked in the first place, and if BD+ can retroactively revoke keys and does the unscrambling (thats how i read that) what are the odds of being able to do as i please (with in reason) with the disks i've bought.

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

Prices drop on matured technology just like DVD did. Just takes time. 1st DVD I bought back in 97' was The Crow, and it cost me $40.

Next-gen tech like Blu-Ray always has bumps in the road; HD-DVD is based on current tech, i.e. DVD. The DVD format was the exact same way. Once upon a time, some DVD players couldn't even switch to the second layer on discs, among other atrocities! Only solution was toss it, and get a newer player. It'll iron itself out. In fact, in retrospect, both HD formats have surpassed DVDs' maturity rate rather quickly, not to mention the additional ability to fix most problems with a simple firmware upgrade/update.

I'm not going to argue with anyone about this, as it's pointless to try to convince someone otherwise, right? Everyone has their own views on things. But I will insert a snippet about Universal's upcoming switch to BR...

12. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Slap..wake up!! Writers are under the £180 mark now. I seen one the other day for £150.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136317

13. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Hmm.. not bad. They have fallen in price a fair bit just recently then. Still need to come down a bit more though :)

14. Eloquence

And Microsoft succeed instead?

Competition doesn't come from competing formats, but from competing players. Samsung / LG / Pioneer will all compete to get you to buy their Blu-ray players, and thus, prices will come down.

Didn't the same thing happen with HD-DVD and triple layer discs?

Not true? Blu-ray has a much higher capacity than HD-DVD. As for the quality of the product, Blu-ray has a higher video/audio bitrate - hence, higher quality than HD-DVD.

40mb/s for Blu-ray as opposed to 29.4mb/s for HD-DVD (Maximum video playback bitrate)

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats

The same thing can happen with HD-DVD too. And you can do what you want with the discs you've bought. Unless the volume decryption key for your player became compromised, in which case the key would be revoked and future Blu-ray / HD-DVD discs would cease to work. You would have to buy a new player.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Access_Content_System

15. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

I did not realise that the HD-DVD technology belongs to Microsoft!
    So, how can they win…

I have no problem with Blue-Ray, my problem is with Sony.

The only winners are the companies which get the royalties.

16. mctigger

mctigger What's a Dremel?

the quicker its over the better, in my opinion blu-ray is the better in all respects, well maybe not the Region free and drm but it still better. There is a few movies i would like to buy in high def that are on hd-dvd, but hopefully they will be out on blu-ray soon

17. Eloquence

It doesn't 'belong' to Microsoft, but Microsoft has a large stake in it. It also developed the underlying technology for the interactive content portion of the standard. IE: menu's etc.

18. E.E.L. Ambiense

No, Toshiba's steering the boat.

Of course. As with any business. They're there to make money, right?

19. steveo_mcg

You see that as acceptable do you...

Any way back to the BD+, acss has been compromised it is possible by all accounts to watch acss encrypted media on unsupported platforms, bd+ has not been cracked and may never be.

20. Eloquence

I never said that.

I highly doubt it. Nearly every form of DRM / Anti-Piracy, mechanism / software has been broken.

Tags: Add Tags