1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Woolworths to ditch HD-DVD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Jan 2008.

1. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I don't see both of the formats living in harmony...it's just not gonna happen....

Secondly, I couldn't stand hearing about "exclusive movies" going to certain formats....I think that's just ridiculous and like most people are saying I'm glad to more superior-speced format is "winning".....now it's just time for prices to still come down and for that reason I hope HD-DVD can continue to live-on for just a while longer and keep knocking BR prices down.....

As for the early investors for the BR players: that's what happens when you invest in a bleeding-edge technology....what did you expect???? Also, what are they missing out on anyways from what is offered on today's BR players? 25GB should be plenty of space for a movie I would think.....I honestly could care less about all the added "features"......but that's just me....

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

The simple fact that your hardware can be rendered obsolete at will should be enough not to buy in to it, it is for me.

The point of BD+ is that it can be updated as time goes on meaning even if/when its cracked it'll be a fight for every film you want to watch, short of buying Vista (for a trusted platform), hoping that your authorised and payed for player hasn't been revoked be it software or hardware.

3. Eloquence

Eloquence The cake is a lie!

Having your player rendered obsolete because someone in another country cracked the volume decryption key is absurd I agree. But I doubt a mass produced and mass bought player that had it's volume decryption key compromised would be revoked. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Perhaps with the BD+ if a volume decryption key was compromised and revoked the disc could update the player's key to a newer uncompromised one that would let you continue watching Blu-ray discs.

What fight? If you have a blu-ray player that hasn't been tampered with you won't have a problem.

4. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

good we need more businesses to start doing this so we can end this stupid feud and let the better format win.

5. steveo_mcg

There will be no Blu ray players for Linux (probably not for XP either) so to use the media you have legally bought you have to circumvent the copy protection ala dcss. With BD+ updated every couple of months (or what ever) you will have to fight the system just to watch your own media. And then you still have the worry that for what ever reason your Blu Ray players key could be revoked

6. kempez

kempez modding again!

Quite frankly, your can't convince someone who has their mind set in stone. If your going to argue for HD DVD against every shred of evidence it is an inferior format then fine, go ahead.

Personally I couldn't have cared less who won when they came out, but after using a couple of players from both camps I find that Blu-Ray is the superior product, so I'm for it :)

7. steveo_mcg

Not sure who that was aimed at, but i'll bite any way. My point is little to do with the technical prowess or other wise, but merely that of the two HD-DVD was the least bad for the consumer, but then i don't suppose that matters much these days, people seem to be quite happy to take a shafting as long as they get there pretty pictures.

8. Trekari

Trekari What's a Dremel?

BR does not have a higher capacity.

As for the Univseral 'quote', they have announced absolutely nothing in public that I can find that they are planning on going BR. So "word is" that quote is utter BS and speculation - which doesn't win arguments, btw.

Again I challenge someone to point to an instance where it has mattered. Show me where BR has been demo'd side by side with movies for hours and people kept walking away thinking the BR experience was somehow 'better' due to behind-the-scenes bitrate. Show me where HDDVD couldn't cut it.

9. ChEsTeH

ChEsTeH What's a Dremel?

Oh well Congrats BR Hard luck HD-DVD. Simple as.

Thank god this s***e is nearly over with getting sick of these pathetic arguements now.

10. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

:confused: The numbers say otherwise. But hey, trying to convince those that doesn't want to be is pointless.

LOL. I was trying to 'win' an argument? :confused: I'm not exactly worried about winning an argument OL...

It wasn't an official 'quote'. No where does it state that. Nor will you find anything about it--yet. But at this point, of course there won't be anything available OFFICIALLY about it. It's from a site that has VERY reliable inside sources in the industry; people that would be in "the know" way more than any of us are or ever will be. Here's the original column about it. Enjoy the hearty high-fiber reading! :thumb:

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

My boss has had an external Blu-ray drive plugged into his computer for several months. It runs Windows XP and plays Blu-ray Discs just fine. He just bought a new laptop over the Christmas break with an incorporated Blu-ray drive. The laptop is running Vista. Even though Microsoft was one of the major backers for HD DVD, I don't think they'd be so short-sighted as to eliminate an entire market.

-monkey

12. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

dvds still suit me just fine :confused: maybe they will get cheaper? :thumb:

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

Around here, they already have. Back-catalog stuff's running about 10-12 bucks a piece for discs now. SE stuff.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

there is no way in earth and hell that this encryption wont be cracked.....

15. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Where does it say Blu-Ray is better? Because like it says Blu-Ray isnt a finished standard, HD-DVD is which makes it better for the consumer, like generation one players cant play features which generation 2 can. For a start the Blu-Ray camp didnt think it was nessecary to have extra support for features so didnt make it mandatory, which theyve gone back on and adding it, however because at the time all players didnt need to have the memory nessecary to run these new features or the ethernet ports with appropriate firm-ware has made all the early players obsolete bar the PS3. Sony like to lock down there content as much as they can and while HD DVD did have some on was pretty lax about it and allowed them to all be region free which again is better for the consumer.

So what if Blu-Ray has more capacity? It aint gonna make your movies look any better the movies on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are both the same, same quality the lot, only way itll help is if you want to burn stuff from your PC, but were not talking about that were talking about movies here and whats best for the consumer.

Oh also forgot that big one for me the cost fair enough Blu-Ray will come down but lets face it HD-DVD was at $100 a long time ago and prices like that were being brought over to the UK as well.

If you mean it "begs to differ" by sales figures, sales figures dont mean its a better platform, just means because people have a PS3 they decided to go down that route.

May I ask how I'm uneducated? Or how Blu-Ray is superior in every other way because well what that wikipedia link the guy posted says different as do the facts.

But at least like others say I now know what Ive got to buy which is lucky as I wasnt far off buying a HD DVD player looks like ill be waiting at least a few months for Blu-Ray players to meet a similar price point for a half decent one thats up to date and will allow me to update it.

16. Eloquence

Eloquence The cake is a lie!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats

25g per layer, as opposed to 15g

Blu-ray still have over 70% of the home-video market, and studios like Paramount have reserved the right to switch back to Blu-ray.

It's not a case of HD-DVD not "cutting it". While I haven't been able to find anywhere online that shows pictures of a HD-DVD frame side by side a Blu-ray frame from a movie that you could use as a comparison, I have seen it in store and the Blu-ray was visibly clearer.

Besides, it doesn't matter if they're both the same. HD-DVD has clearly lost.

It already has. Most illegal movie releases via bittorrent are usually Blu-ray rips.
    searching for Blu-ray/HD-DVD on ISOhunt returns: 225/159 results respectively.

See below

Didn't the same thing happen with HD-DVD regarding multiple layer discs, and early generation player's won't be able to read triple layer discs?

We're not comparing past versions here. I highly doubt any significant changes will be made to the Blu-ray spec that will render players obsolete again. Yes early adopters got burned, but they should have known what they were getting themselves into when the spec was unfinished.

As for region locking, whi is it such a big deal? There are only 3 regions. Americas, Euope/Australia, Asia. Unless you plan on importing them from overseas, you won't have a problem.

Blu-ray has a higher standard bitrate than HD-DVD, hence - better quality.

Oh please, we saw the same thing with DVD when it first came out. Prices will come down, they already have.

So outselling HD-DVD by a factor of 10:1, and holding over 70% of the home-video market doesn't say to you that the majority of consumers and studios have chosen Blu-ray?

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats

The Blu-ray standard is better than HD-DVD. More storage, higher bit-rates etc.

17. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

who would have thought woolworths of all places could start such a troll fest...

/me pops a vcd into his drive

18. E.E.L. Ambiense

HAHAHA! That was good, man. VCD's rock!

19. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Im waiting for the Ultra HD standard... where my UHDTV is as big as my house, and I can use the content to study microbiology.

:D

20. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

What "standard" are you referring to? Blu-Ray 1.0.. 1.1.....2.0?

I know one thing. If the tables were turned and HD DVD was in the same position as Blu-ray is today. Everyone would be able to go out and buy a £120 1080p24 player which will play all HD DVDs.. from all regions.. and ALL the features which you paid for on all the discs would be usable. TODAY.
    Since the format war is over and Blu-Ray won. I've got to wait for 2.0 profile players (three were announced at CES, 2 were $1500 and one $800).. maybe a year for them to get to the same £120.. then god knows how long for a proper region free version. And yes I would be buying Blu-Ray's from the US as their currency is worth crap at the moment, and the discs over here are at ridiculous prices. STILL!
    And, no, I don't want a PS3, I have no use for it as a game console and it's rediculously overpriced, especially in the UK.

[sarcasm]Format war's over.. woo hooo! Now we can all wait 18 months for decent hardware....yay! It'll have a bit more bandwidth and space, even though most movies (on Blu-Ray and HD DVD) top out at 20-22GB and throwing more bits at the encodes makes no visual difference what-so-ever... woohoo again. All that 50GB of Blu-Ray space is filled with space wasting PCM audio because Blu-Ray doesn't have mandatory TrueHD decoding and PCM is the ONLY way of ensuring all players can decode that lossless audio and if they didn't do that the only option for compatibility is regular old Dolby Digital... woohoo for the third time.[/sarcasm]

I want a £100 (2.0) Blu-Ray player. If Blu-Ray is better... where the hell is that player?..... and where are the 7 free discs that come with it?

Tags: Add Tags