1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Zalman HD160XT Plus

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Feb 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/02/03/zalman_zm160xt_plus/1

Are you looking for the ultimate home theatre case? Well, look no further because Zalman has sent it to us - we have a look at the HD160XT Plus, a 100 percent aluminium design with looks to die for. It even has a 7" touch screen to tie it all off. Excessive? Awesome? Costly? We find out.

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Do I spy one of those awesome looking little Asus mATX gaming boards? Are you going to be reviewing it?

They are nice cases, but if I think the price needs to come down by £100 to make people even start considering them.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Next week ;)

4. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i dont get the point of the screen being that small...

if youre going to pay that much for a case you may as well go the whole hog and get the origenAE case with the 12" 1080p screen

5. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Overkill, 90's hi-fi look, very much like a Yamaha AV amp or the like from back in the day. Touch screen totally pointless, and @ £400 far to expensive. Mutton dressed as lamb lol

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I think it looks great and the fact that the inside is also painted is a nice touch, I want to get my hands on this case or the Silverstone CW03 HTPC Case for my next HTPC build.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's not painted, it's anodised - engrained colour into the metal oxide layer.

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The LCD should be placed in an external enclosure with a battery back and wireless VGA...

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Oh this is so confusing... I reviewed the original HD160, but it seems it has nothing to do with this case except the name. The side panels are from HD135 and the internal layout is KINDA 160-ish, but then again not. I like how they've paid attention to the HDD-cooling, and I love the fact that there's an actual cage like in HD135, but then again they've removed the nice wire-fanguards and replaced them with the cheapest cut-out versions. What's that all about?

The screen seems like a nice toy, and allthough there's no way I'd pay the premium to get a screen on my HTPC-case, I kinda see where that's coming from. If the HTPC is hooked up to a proper setup with a projector and a ton of amps then I understand it's sometimes nice to tweak some settings on the small screen and save the lamp of the projector... And if you can pay all the other equipments then hell, one 7" screen shouldn't blow the budget :)

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Sort of, an extra layer than can be coloured, added outside the original oxide layer of the Aluminium!

11. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

or just use vnc from a differennt computer

12. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yeah first stick the movie to the drive and then run back to the office to make the settings and... It's just handy sometimes, ok? :)

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's just being pedantic. :p I'm technically not wrong.

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Yes, but at the same time, your not 100% right! I win!

Mwaah! :D

15. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

or just use the remote

16. markkleb

markkleb What's a Dremel?

17. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Yeash.. that seems like a right pain. 6/10 for usability.. the screen and remote are next to useless due to the software and the untoward cables make installing stuff a complete headache. Too many points there.
    Plus that thing looks like a dust nightmare. Too bad the 10/10 features don't include some easy removable filters to go over those fans/holes. You'd have to wear the screw threads down when you open it for cleaning out.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well technically nor are you, but I wasn't arsey enough to point it out muhahaha :D

;)

Joey - if you spend a lot of time getting it right, it has all the feature potential right there. You can use the remote or the screen or the buttons etc. Yes, no fan filters but not everyone wants them - the case should dissipate quite a bit of heat and should sit with very little airflow to be quiet. Filters just reduce the flow making it noisier. Personally I would like to have seen them, but I accept why people don't need them.

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Feb 2008
  19. Bionic-Blob

Bionic-Blob What's a Dremel?

i'd rather have one of those zalman TNN systems.

20. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I rather have a network 'play everything' player with a very good HD decoder chip, all sorts of outputs like dvi/hdmi/optical/digital outputs, usb in the front so i can stick a 8gb stick/ or external drive into to player and it plays the content. And a nice onscreen menu to browse te network for content and internet for content from youtube, shoutcast whatever from yout lazy chair

For example the snazio media players, or what about the Alienware bluray mediaserver ?

Tags: Add Tags