1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Battlestar Galactica Mod: Complete!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Mar 2007.

1. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Awesome! This mod rocks!

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Holy f@$k :jawdrop:

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

OMG, man....retractable doors?! That is friggin' killer. :rock:

4. Frido

Frido Minimodder

How can this possibly get even better than blast doors??? Holy something!!! Huh - a gravitational field leaving the case suspended in air would perhaps do that!? What? Not possible today? Hmm then I go for "it can't get better, until Bod makes up something better!"-saying for now.

Jesus, you rock my modding-world so seriously that china got the richter-scala up and shaking because of me gawking and drooling in Denmark!!!!
    Please, don't go somewhere else before your mod is finished, please! *LOL*

/Frido

5. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

oh wow, i was starting to think they could have been watercooling flow meters with vipers inside the tubes to float and spin as the water flow went around but this is something else

just wow

bring on season 4 in march!

6. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Thanks guys! :D All your comments are awesome and much appreciated. (I'll have to work on that suspended in mid-air idea :p)

Thats the idea, but after putting the first door on the spool it seems I will need to augment the design a bit to help feed the door back through the tracks. Maybe some sort of guide to keep it from unraveling behind the front cover.

7. ebola_one

ebola_one What's a Dremel?

Wow, very impressive! :thumb:

8. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I had an idea for that, but i'm not sure it would work in practice.

Basically, if you put some sort of cowling over the top and bottom edges, you could easily hide some cable/line in there, this would be fed around something like a small aluminium rod at the engine pod end, and then back across the bottom of the case onto the spool. Effectively you'd have a push/pull pulley system, over engineered? you betcha, but if your idea doesn't work, it's a possibility (if not a overly complicated one, I just don't know how strong styrene is).

9. Boddaker

Yeah, I was thinking I might have to go that route if my guides didn't work. But before I go and build some elaborate pully/cable system, I will probably try a simpler spring loaded tensioner or something. Hopefully it wont need much to keep the doors taut during the closing.

10. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Maybe just reinforce the top & bottom of the uber-cool doors with some thin flexible steel cable! And a smear of light grease along the top & bottom guides if there isn't any.

11. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

What exactly are the doors supposed to do? I'm presuming they slide as opposed to hinge, but which way? Up/forward/back/out?

Looking awsome!

12. Boddaker

They slide forward towards the front and wind up onto the spools. The trick will be reversing the spool rotation and having the doors slide back closed. They will need some help in order to do that.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

When carpenters make roll-top desks, which have a lid (tambour) similar to your doors, they generally glue the lid pieces to a piece of fabric as a hinging/spacing mechanism.

14. Boddaker

That's pretty much how I made these doors, but used .010 styrene sheet for the flexible hinge mechanism instead of fabric. :)

15. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

that is awesome but will a pc fit in there?

16. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

damn nice project!!.....detailing it is the most time consuming thing as i found out myself..:D
    I see you use the 0.010 sheets and other styrene stuff? Any chance this is from evergreen?
    As this is the only one i found that could make these thin sheets (and bloody expensive if you imagine styrene cost about 10 cents the kilo).
    Keep up the good work!!

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That's really slick!:D I have no clue how you will get this to work AND make the doors removable. I would have mounted everything to the door and axed the HD rack.
    Now if you could make lasers look like tracer bullet trails...

18. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

That is just amazing. This mod is front page material, cannot wait to see the article. Awesome avatar btw!

19. Boddaker

LOL I'm going to find out today! The LAN party I was trying to complete this for is this next weekend, and I'm going to take the case regardless of it's unfinished state. So I'm throwing components into it as is. It will be a good test run tho!

I believe I do have some evergreen sheets, but most of my styrene is from Plastruct. Not sure which one the .010 sheets are tho.

Damn good idea! I wish I would have thought of that a couple months ago. :wallbash: Would have made some things easier, but then I couldn't have the doors slide back easily for removal. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Anyway, the way I'm planning on doing it is there will be a break in the blast door tracks at some point along the straight section. The rest will be fixed to the HD cage. Just gotta make sure the alignment is dead on.

Thanks Brett, on both accounts! :D

20. zwiks

zwiks My avatar: :D

stunned
    !

Tags: