1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Myst Online to be closed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Feb 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Such a shame, i have been playing this on and off as well as its predecesor Uru. I am a huge myst fan, played through all the games at least twice each, some a lot more. Still, if they can't keep it viable financially then I gues they have to let it go.:(

3. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

That's one problem with MMOs, users have no options when the developer pulls the plug. I'm just glad I'm done 2 of 3 campaigns in Guild Wars (also halfway through the other & the expansion).

4. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

I am gonna be totally honest, I have never even played MIST. That type of game just didn't appeal to me at all. I remember when this started up and was thinking about playing it. But time flies by and there is no real marketing of the game and it just disappears from most peoples radar.

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Honestly? I was totally oblivious to the game. How did it work? Did you have characters that teleported from one section of a room to the next, and spent lots of time staring at small sections of wall?

6. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

this is the precise reason I do not play MMOs

servers get reset, or it becomes dead financially and all the time goes down the drain.

another good example is BF2, eventually it will die, and the stats will be gone, so all those who put time and effort into it will have lost that. (in BF2's case, it'll probably be a patch that makes everyone 4 star and have all the unlocks, and leave it to the dedicated communities to support it.)

7. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Forgive me for my old-fashioned view points, but surely the point of playing MMOs is not to achieve some statistic, but to have fun? I'm pretty sure most people play it more for the enjoyment of playing it than stacking up artificial numbers.

8. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Played the original years ago, then played uru (which was enough to put me off the franchise for good)

Can't say i'm upset, this sort of game was good in the days of lands of lore/7th guest but compared to whats out now it'd bore most people ****less

HA! People take MMOs way too seriously, take wow for example, theres a lot of players that grind endlessly for days for 'numbers'

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i have a hint for MMO makers.... make a futuristic or near modern environment with lots of things to do and i will play it, i am kind of sick and tired of this "middle earth" theme.......

10. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Erm... Tabula Rasa, Hellgate, Anarchy Online, EVE I could go on. There are plenty of games which fit your description, if you didn't like those then MMOs probably aren't the genre for you.

11. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

A MMO based on the Shadowrun world would be awesome.

12. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

QFT

13. koola

koola Minimodder

I'm sure that should read:

Just days before the one-year anniversary of the MMO, Myst Online: Uru Live is being closed down. Emulator devs have just sixty days of programming left.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i am more in the market for "Infinity".......

15. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

It is such a shame that they don't release the code for these games when they die. Its a huge waste. If I was a developer of an MMO and it died either due to costing too much, the company that runs it went bust or other reasons, I would certainly want my work to still be enjoyed.

About Myst Online, i never knew it eisted, i did a youtube search and to be honest it didnt look too exciting anyway. was described as a "2nd life with a pretty background".

16. chiper136

chiper136 What's a Dremel?

I first played myst on a bloody old mac. The series was amazingly well told and really just visually beautiful as a fantasy world. For those of you that have yet to play it i recommend it, though dated graphically its still a good game.

However i do feel it went downhill from number 4 onwards. Ubisoft just murdered the 5th one by taking away the whole point of myst and using only CG. Upsetting. I never really likes the idea of URU as Myst was about you, this unnamed person who has slipped into the world, with other around the illusion is shattered, unlike say WOW where the experiance is a shared one.

17. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

What I to this day can't understand, is why large companies (EA are you listening?) don't donate old games to the open source community to maintain. Battlefield 2 is a good example. It's dying a slow death due to neglect - no new patches, no new maps, no new content. Why not come up with some sort of agreement where the codebase is maintained by OSS volunteers, while EA still gets to rake in cash from game sales and Ranked Server Program fees? Cause you know if even half of the BF2 bugs were fixed people would play it more, and EA would still have some control over their work.

And we all know Myst MMO's would be a great thing to be open sourced. :rock:

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Outlaws - now that was a great multiplayer game.

19. salesman

salesman Minimodder

That would be awesome when it happens.

20. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I'm sure that many would find a new audience if they sold a package where you could create your own server or run it entirely locally (once the official servers die).

Because once the source is out there they would lose a lot of potential revenue to the OSS community. I like the idea you suggest but I don't think it's likely to happen.

Tags: Add Tags