1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend a CENTRALISED Backup software please?

Discussion in 'Software' started by wywywywy, 6 Feb 2008.

1. wywywywy

wywywywy Minimodder

Hi all,

Basically I am looking for a centralised and automatic backup solution. Pretty much like the one in Windows Home Server, but without the instability and potential corruption.

One thing it needs to have is the ability to backup from network, and it will be installed on my 2003 Server at home to backup my various Windows machines (some XP some Vista). Compression is necessary too as I have less than 1TB on my server.

I only need file-based backup, no need for database/exchange, or disk image... although they would be nice to have obviously.

Ability to wake/sleep client machines will be nice, but not essential.

Any advice/suggestions/comments welcome!

Thanks.

2. phillj

phillj What's a Dremel?

I have WHS running at home and have found it to be brilliant. Iam aware of the corruption bug they are working on but have never had an app that was effected. Other than this you could wait for Server 2008, which I believe is out in March. This has the same style of backup incorporated into it. I don't know of anything else that does the same style of backup (sector, Single instance storage etc.) But you could try windows own backup utility, it is a very cut down version of Veritas's (sysmantec now) backuexec.

3. wywywywy

wywywywy Minimodder

Server 2008 has this feature? :O
    Any more details please?

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

5. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

maybe Acronis True Image is what you're looking for?

i haven't had any hands on experience with their enterprise server remote features.

i have a couple workstation version. it's quite good.

6. wywywywy

wywywywy Minimodder

Sorry I think I am really blind, I read through everything you quoted and spent an hour on Google, but still can't find anything to do with centralised backup in Server 2008 :(

Ryanjleng: Thanks! Having a look now, the product description is rather confusing (too much marketing talk), so I think I will get a trial version and have a play... the enterprise version is REALLY expensive though at $999 :( Got to see if my boss would agree there is a need for a backup solution...