1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: BlackBox (More Painting, 8 Feb)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by identikit, 1 Feb 2008.

1. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Well I decided it was time to finally make the switch and complete my workstation to replace my dual core current rig. No half measures, quad core CPUs. Yep two. I'm using a Tyan dual s771 motherboard. Full specs:

Tyan S5380 motherboard
    Intel Xeon E5320s
    2GB Samsung FB-DIMM ECC RAM
    Silversone 650W PSU
    Intel KHD2HSRP350 Server case

Forgive the surroundings. The new addition to the family has the run of the house and she likes to chew things.

[​IMG]

So I'm relegated to the confines of the conservatory and garage for this mod. In my haste to get started I didn't take any progress shots of the beginning. But I took the front door, control panel and side panel off.

[​IMG]

Removing the CPU heatsinks.

[​IMG]

They're Akasa AK-385s, 2U copper base, aluminium fins. Not that it matters because they're being replaced by something different, which I'm just reminded, is being used to keep the kitten away from the back of my current PC!

Here's what they were cooling. Intel Xeon E5320 Clovertown CPUs. These happen to be engineering samples, but I have no idea who sharpied the 'clover 1.8' on there.

[​IMG]

Time to clean it up a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll finish cleaning the CPUs and sockets when I 'mod' it (more on this later). The overall layout of the motherboard (Yes the PCI-E x4 slot is in the middle of the motherboard).

[​IMG]

I need to fab up a better way of securing the PSU than two screws and a few zip ties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Motherboard out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PSU out

[​IMG]

The top and bottom panels are just held on by one screw each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Covering the standoffs with blue painters tape. I did spray the front door and frame, but I'm out of spray paint already. 1 can doesn't go very far. I'm using Plastikote Metal Protekt matt black because the local B&Q doesn't stock regular matt black wtf?! No pictures of the spraying process so far, but I'll get some when I pick up more paint tomorrow.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2008
  2. SP1

SP1 What's a Dremel?

If you still want matt black try Halfords.

3. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Yeah, depending on how the Plastikote dries I might see if I can get down to a Halfords. I looked online but they can't deliver spray paint :wallbash:. Shame as B&Q is just a few minutes down the road and I'm taking the kitten to the vets tomorrow, which itself is a minute from B&Q.

Just noticed I cocked up the pictures and set the quality to 11 (Spinal Tap :rock:), I'll change that tomorrow, very tired.

4. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Thats some semi-expensive ram. but it looks like it will be a great workstation.

5. badje

badje boni

Looks like a nice pc to me. Do you have any plans of what you are gonna do with it, some sketches or something.
    Btw isn't there a load of thermal grease left on your cpu's? It still looks all white.

sweet kitten.

6. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Didn't work out too bad. Around £50 for 2GB. I'll probably upgrade it to 4 or 8GB soon. The motherboard was £150 NIB and the CPUs were £300. I'm trying to do this on a shoestring budget. The case was £11 :lol:

I'll be keeping it pretty plain. Just mods for improved airflow and cable management. I'll sketch some plans out later. Yeah there is quite a bit of thermal grease on the CPUs, I'm going to take them out and clean them properly, I may lap them too.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

wow stop plastikote paint is the poorest around, colour is never the same from can to can, it peels, and fades. trust me i do alot of prototyping in design and we never use that SH*T! get halfords or Holts.

8. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Okay, thanks for the advice! Luckily I dodged the bullet today as B&Q didn't have any in stock.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

its a service i provide! do it well!

10. identikit

identikit Minimodder

I'm going to rough up some cardboard prototypes, but I think I'm going to make a shelf/shroud. It'll help airflow, secure the PSU and there will be a place to hide all the unused power cables. Next time I will get a modular :wallbash:

11. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Update: More painting done today. Here are some pictures of last weeks progress.

[​IMG]

Where I got to on the frame, doesn't look too bad for PlastiKote.

[​IMG]

Front vent is a nightmare to paint fully.

[​IMG]

Switch panel needs some sanding before the next coat.

[​IMG]

Front panel frame also needs some sanding.

[​IMG]

Finally got to Halfords for some proper paint (thanks for the recommendation Burnout21). Finished the first one already though! Still need to paint the outside of the top and bottom panel (not pictured) and the two side panels, plus drive trays and other bits and bobs. Don't know if I can manage it all on one can though! We'll see tomorrow.

12. 500mph

That front vent looks like a b!@#$ to paint.
    Mesh is like that too, the really fine stuff.

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Use 800 grit wet and dry paper, get a big bowl or bucket of warm water with a small amount of washing liquid in it. rinse the paper and what ever you sand in this solution as it keeps the paper clean and the work piece. doing this you should only require one sheet of paper aswell.

This project shoud pull together very nicely!

really hope thats going to get two 7950 GX2's, would complete the crazy 8 cores!

Last edited: 9 Feb 2008
  14. identikit

identikit Minimodder

I've got some 1000 grit wet & dry somewhere (came free with the house, so no complaints).

Unfortunately the S5380 motherboard doesn't support SLI, but hopefully the next upgrade will be a 5400 chipset mobo with gen2 PCI-E SLI. Also hoping for SAS and some beefy watercooling.

The paint costs more than the actual case :lol:

I don't think I'll be able to mod/update today as last night I burnt the crap out of my left hand. I might be able to grab a few more progress shots, but typing is a pain in the arse/hand. Maybe I'll post the pics of my fingers in 'Modding Cooking Injuries'.

15. 500mph

I think it would be considered "Modding your food".

To bad about your hand. I hope it heals well!

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm sorry to hear you hurt your arse/hand.
    It must suck not being able to wipe properly.:D
    Painting vents is a pain. Your best bet is to do it in stages, letting each session dry before continuing. Start with corners, then the face and front edge, then bottom and back edge. The odds of dripping are less that way.

17. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Only thing to add is light coats and remember Mr. Gravity! Don't turn anything too soon. Let the paint flash first. That's a technical term that means grab a cola or a beverage of choice.
    John

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

your hand should have heeled by now, get modding!

19. identikit

identikit Minimodder

:lol: Thanks for reminding me. Alas the girlfriend already beat you to it this week as she wants to actually park her car in the garage!

Pictures and a write-up coming very soon.

Unfortunately I've run out of paint again. Where do you guys recycle your empty aerosol cans?

20. 500mph

Make a case out of them.