1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creationists seek foothold in Europe

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 10 Feb 2008.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Original story

Good, you can have em!

2. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

Religion is such a ****ing joke. Evolution is not a lie, it IS fact.

3. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

"He says that when he is asked to speak to science classes, he challenges the accuracy of radioactive dating which shows the world to be thousands of millions of years old and says that the Bible is a more accurate description of how mankind began. He personally believes the Earth is between 6,000 and 12,000 years old."

huh? I don't understand it's not just crabon dating that says the earth is millions of years old but:
    Sea floor spreading (many cycles each taking a duration of time longer than what he says)
    Rocks (take more than that period of time to form)
    fosils of animals (too many to have existed alive in this period of time)

It's sunday morning but I'm sure there are lots more.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Shock news: Games Journalist hits creationist morons.

5. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

religion and schooling were never meant to be mixed.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not religion, evangelists and fanatics.

Most have more than two cells between their ears.

7. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Im in for a small scale war if be.
    Lets hit them with the facts.. K.O them with a stone. :D

8. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

Yes, let's him them with the Facts. Facts which you Know because they were told to your übermonkey persons by scientists.... In the same way these evangelists view Genesis as Fact.

They're fairly ****ing harmless. Maybe you could try not to bleat like sheep about what the [insert favourite conspiracy theory organisation here] want you to do? Creation is a theory/paradigm (whatever), like evolution. One Fact I do know is that I am not a monkey. Whether I was created or I am part of a lot of (fairly "intelligent") bacteria on some alien's scrotum (or whatever they have there)... Let's face up to the One Fact, perchance, the One Fact that none of us have a goddamned clue who we are, what we are, or why we are. That'll help a whole lot. And then maybe the self-righteous atheists etc can stop whining about the self-righteous Christians...

9. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

The creationist I know told me that God put all that evidence there to test our faith. Or something.

10. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I don't want them to spread their rubbish around here. They can go **** off :duh:

Last edited: 10 Feb 2008
  11. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

These guys are dangerous, no doubt there. However, I doubt they will find much following in Europe. If need be I'll help chase them away by whacking them over the head with my copy of Origin of the species. :D

12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

ROFLCOPTER :lol:

I like creationists. They are so cute and cuddly! And so easily shaken up. Thirty-odd minutes of friendly chatter, and they're missing half their sleep the next five weeks :clap:
    And all they can do in return is offer me the possibility that God exists. In return, i treat them to the babelfish paradox, and sometimes Descartes nihilism. i've actually left two devoted Christians behind in stunned silence :D

Other fanatics such as Muslim fundamentalists or Neo-nazis are much harder to shake up. They know that they are a severe minority, and a willing to do hard and relentless battle. They also accept that that means sticking their head up their arse, and not listening to anything or anyone.
    Christian fundamentalists on the other hand believe that they are a majority, only the rest of the world doesn't know it yet. They truely mean to save you, which is pretty cute if you look at it. :hehe:

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

They can keep preaching creationism to christians throughout Europe for all I care. At the rate we're going, in 100 years that'll be about 7 people.

14. francisl1420

francisl1420 What's a Dremel?

The only reason that these religious idiots are not thrown in a mental asylum is that there crazy beliefs have been about for thousands of years. If someone came along now saying that the were the messiah or a prophet sent by God they'd be classed as insane. The only reason religious groups have as much power and influence over people is that most religious followers have been brought up with the stupid ideas from birth. It's a lot harder for people to question something that they have been brought up with and fell that it is an integral part of their life. Religion comes from a time when there were many questions that were unanswerable and as people wanted answers they came up with the idea of God, no proof but makes people think that they have an answer (and a purpose). With all of today's scientific advancements it does seem a lot harder for someone to logically believe but religious nuts always say its down to faith. Which seems an ultimate "get up of jail card". I can see why people continue to believe in such stuff, mentally programmed from birth, don't want to think about death (nice afterlife in heavan), gives them a place in "worthy" society and finaly religious leaders would never admit they were wrong as there is too much money and power coming from religion.

15. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

Can't they get it into their heads, creationism/ID is a belief. Evolution is a scientifically proven theory, one that has been observed and refined according to those observations to give our best understanding of how we got here.

Religious belief has its place in schools, its called religious education class, keep it out of the lab until they can actually show the same level as evidence as there is for evolution. There's plenty of evidence for evolution, none that I'm aware of for creationism/ID, well none that doesn't consist of "God did it"

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I've got a foothold, my foot, their arse.

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Creationists are in an existentialist crisis. They more or less admit that religion is supposed to be a cure for that:
    Except that it turns out it is not. Churches are empty and crumbling with neglect, science is delivering the goods better in curing illness and solving practical life problems, and people are simply not that gullible anymore now education for the masses produces people who can read and think for themselves (well, marginally). Religion was an opiate for the masses too, but now that drug don't work anymore either.

There is a reason why education is being targeted. Education is the enemy of fundamentalist religion. We have seen this most recently in Afghanistan (the education of women results in a direct decrease in suicide bombers).

But creationists have lost the forest for the trees. They are looking to confirm faith with proof (if ever a clean demonstration was needed that science delivers the goods). They are the ones who have lost faith.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Catch 'em young, grab 'em for life. That's why parent's can ingrain positive or negative influences for the rest of a childs life - whether it be racism/ignorance/education etcetc

But it's also the one thing you can't regulate - being a parent. By its very nature, no one wants a nanny state and to be told how to bring up their children.

19. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

That's so good! It's just making up excuses!

I think religion and all this creationism rubbish (IMO) was alright when we didn't have the technological advances we do now and so knew no different. Like religion in tribes is fascinating, their beliefs are so strong and they have no reason not to be (and also, they don't try and force us into believing the same thing)

at the end of the day, I'm more of a scientific guy and have fun winding up the believers when they try and convert me in the street. Tell 'em you are a gay drug addict millionairre! They have a lot of fun with that.

Edit: I just read the first little bit and it kind of reminds me of the Simpsons where Flanders gets creationism taught in Springfield Elementary
    But, in my school, Christianity (and so creationism) is taught in religious education and evolution is taught in science. This is because there is no scientific evidence to back up creationism like there is in evolutionism which makes it a non-scientific subject.
    It's like the balanced diet in schools, they're trying to force kids to eat nothing but healthy stuff at the school canteens which, by my reckoning, isn't balanced, and so I say teach both theories, one of them scientific in science classes and one of them religious in religion classes, to give them a balanced education.
    (deep down though, I believe religion to be a myth to give people false hope, I don't, however, try and force this belief on others)

Last edited: 10 Feb 2008
  20. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

Almighty zeus should smite thee heathans for uttering these lies, everyone knows it was him who was in charge ;)

seriously though, imo, i really dont like them, i understand beleiving in something but deciding that proven fact is just wrong simply because something writen in a book by people which predates science and wasn't even writen by the person who is the subject of the book but by people who ultimately set up massive power hungry organisations (think theyre called churches) and have saugt control and censorship on anything that contradicts them for 100's of years... is just not working for me, if that was the case the only elements we would still have are Air Earth Fire and water, the earth would be the centre of everything and the earth isnt a round ball but flat.....