1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Cubeleon

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by brinkz0r, 8 Sep 2007.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That 2nd pump plug used for decoration has me wondering...
    You're not sealing the actual plug for the pump against the metal, are you? (I'm to lazy to go back and check.:D)

Edit: Someone knocked you down to 4 stars. I just tried to fix that.:D

2. BigPoppaJNutZ

BigPoppaJNutZ Beyond the Dremel...

Looks great! Are you planning on any type of finish for the metal frame-polished/brushed, or painted?

Nice design, I definately have to keep an eye on this project!

3. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

nice progress and the hardware list you posted befor looked good !
    The fan cover looks realy nice !!

4. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

wow this looks fantastic, excellent work so far!

5. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

That radiator bracket is so HOT!! 8D¨

6. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

The plug is going to be mounted to the metal, but it doesn't have a sealing purpose there. What would be the problem? :p And thanks for the stars, 4,46 average now ;)

Almost nothing of that frame will be visible, but painting may stand out nicely. Thanks for the suggestion :hehe:

Going to order it today ::lol:

@Keir and Macros_the_black: Thx a lot :)

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

If it's not sealing, then there's no problem. :D

8. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Ok that's what I wanted to hear :p And thanks to the two people after cheapskate who voted 5 stars :D

Last edited: 22 Feb 2008
  9. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Update 10

This week has been a very hard one for me. Last sunday my girlfriend and I broke up after a relationship of almost five years. Add to that that I had to start with a new internship the next day, and you have an idea how I was feeling for the past week.
    The only advantage of all this is that my evenings are empty now, so I have some more time for my two modding projects. We'll see how it all works out.

This is a pic from the last update, a sanded psu cover:

[​IMG]

After some elbow grease, it looks like this ;)

[​IMG]

I immediately started with the next one, printed and stuck to the aluminium:

[​IMG]

Cut and drilled. Fortunately, this part is way easier to make :)

[​IMG]

Some more sanding:

[​IMG]

And some more polishing. There are still some minor scratches visible, but this is the best I can do for now:

[​IMG]

But it looks great up close :)

[​IMG]

What would be in there?

[​IMG]

One sheet of bent alu :lol:

[​IMG]

And another one :D

[​IMG]

Because of the bending, the visible corner now looks like this. I'm not too happy with it, but I think I will leave it like this:

[​IMG]

A little mockup of the two plates, placed in the psu compartment :)

[​IMG]

At this pic, you can still see the red sticker of the Corsair power supply. I will cut a piece of black alu to hide that.

[​IMG]

Here you can see how nicely it fits around the connectors, and how well it's polished :)

[​IMG]

You may already have noticed that the left part is 5mm lower than the right one. I made this so that I will be able to have some lighting on the top of the psu. Was planning to have it underneath, but that wasn't possible because of the position of the psu fan.

[​IMG]

You can even see the connectors in the reflection :)

[​IMG]

Still need to mount those two parts though. For the one on the left, I came up with a nice idea to mount it :) Started with some cutting:

[​IMG]

After that, I just had to bent the two pieces upwards:

[​IMG]

Some drilling and tapping:

[​IMG]

And mounted, with all of the bolts and the 'sealing' (;)) plugs :lol: The camera wouldn't even focus on the alu, it focussed on the wood in the reflection :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one on the right needed a different approach:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I needed to cut two brackets, this one is the first:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted both of them:

[​IMG]

But I can't even screw in the last bolt, too little space :blah:

[​IMG]

Time to cut some holes :) I will use these to route all of the cables through the case, and to hide the unnececary cables in the bottom of the case. Cut a big hole in the front sheet, and a smaller one in the bottom:

[​IMG]

And one in the 'ceiling':

[​IMG]

The last one, a pic taken from the front of the case:

[​IMG]

That's all for this time folks :) I think I will finish the power supply compartment in the next week or so. That's one of the few big things that needed to be done, so it has to be done some time soon :p Wishful thinking, hehe.
    For now I'm trying to get used to the new situation, that's hard enough :blah:

10. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Gorgeous work!

11. zwiks

zwiks My avatar: :D

I´m sorry about youre you and youre girlfriend.. but i must say: NICE WORK THERE.. I like the shiny things:D

12. dark4181

dark4181 Ero-sennin-tebayo

man.. the quality of your fab-work is ungodly. kudos

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

This is a workmanship beauty:thumb: I HAVE to watch this one.
    John

14. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Thanks a lot guys, trying to keep it up :D

15. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

Kick a** work, the polish looks great....

Regards.

Last edited: 24 Feb 2008
  16. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

that's realy nice !!
    The polished psu cover is so nice !

17. cheezeit

cheezeit What's a Dremel?

Great job man, the polishing job is great. I think the corner looks fine as it is.

18. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Update 11

Posted this update about a week ago on dutch forums, but wasn't feeling like translating all of it. Haven't done anything concerning modding this week actually :blah:
    I wanted to mount the complete power supply assembly. A few parts needed to be made before, one of those was a sheet of black aluminium to make the Corsair log disappear:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The total sheet of AC Ryan alu has two holes near the corners, but for this part that didn't matter. That tiny hole will not be visible at all. This is de psu without the sheet:

[​IMG]

And with the alu added :hehe:

[​IMG]

So off to the psu assembly. I haven't shown a pic of the part on the right yet:

[​IMG]

I will fill up the big hole with a few little pieces of polished alu. The design is printed on the paper:

[​IMG]

And they fit, after some filing :)

[​IMG]

After trying to fit in the parts, I changed my mind on the cables and position of the cables. The hole on the top was meant for the pci-e cable, but I don't need one anymore because I have bought a ATI HD3650 and that card doesn't need a seperate power supply. I wasn't looking forward to having a cable run through the most seen part of the case, so that's one problem solved :)
    I also switched the cable on the right and on the left. The left one will now be for the molex, the others for the sata cables:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted and connected, the power supply looks like this :hip:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was about the look that I was searching for :) I may add the pci-e cable though, to fill up the empty space.

On the far right of the psu assembly, there's a big hole visible. I will fill this up with a nifty feature, but that will not be visible through one of the windows. Yes, it will have multiple windows, three to be exact ;) I finally had the time to weld these at school. The first was welded using MIG or MAG, the second using TIG. They look pretty good, for my first welded parts in years :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's all steel, so they instantly started rusting. After a lot of sanding, filing, filling and priming, the first one looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of my little errors showed when the primer was on, so I have to fill those holes up. After that, 'just' two more to go :blah:

I started with one more thing, the feet. I wanted to make simple feet out of thick alu. I was planning 10mm, but at school, they had nice sized pieces of 15mm thick. Started cutting them at school, but my saw at home was a lot sharper :p

[​IMG]

Cut the first one in two:

[​IMG]

Some more sawing action, and some drilling for M3 holes:

[​IMG]

The sharp corners were hard to fabricate, so I chose to use chamfered edges:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is the first that's done, without the surface finish offcourse. I will have to sand three more to size, which is hard because the alu is 15mm thick :p So stay tuned for the next update :)

19. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

A little bondo might be in need for those inside corners.
    Other than that, everything looks great!

20. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Thanks :) You were right about the corners, the spray paint didn't cover all of the metal. I've just applied another layer of bondo ;)