1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illegal downloaders 'face UK ban'- VM to Pilot Scheme

Discussion in 'Serious' started by steveo_mcg, 12 Feb 2008.

1. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

Talking from a law abiding citizen's point of view, lets just hope our internet connection's aren't cut off mistakenly for downloading legitimate films, music and games.. :duh:

2. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 17 Feb 2008
  3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

the problem is that the whole thing has the potential to end in monitoring on the web what you say with a block internet access button for the government to shut individuals down....

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

The difference is that when you speed, you run a good chance of killing several innocent strangers. I'm fairly sure I don't murder people by stealing films and TV shows on torrents.
    There's a difference between 'Illegal' and 'Wrong'. (People seem to have forgotten this.) The law isn't infallible, and piracy is one example of the line blurring.
    Show me one person who lost their job because of piracy. One person who went bankrupt or didn't get a project through or missed a career chance or suffered any loss due to piracy. Sure: I download the complete back-catalogue of every band in the last ten years, and somewhere, days later, a musician can't afford his daily heroin party. FEEL my sympathy.

The missing analogy, in case you're still clutching for it in your mind, is Robin Hood. My life is miserable. I'm a ****ing prole; hence, I feel no shame in stealing meager entertainment and escapism from rich, comfortable producers, directors and companies. Suck it.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7246403.stm

As expected the ISP aren't going to go along with this easily

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Pressure from the RIAA/MPAA? Or.. 'incentives'?

7. Major

Major Guest

We are regarded as thieves now? Ok gimme a break.

Stealing from a shop is totally different than downloaded a movie or an album. It's like someone on the side of the road handing out products for free, you can either take one from him or go to the shop next door and buy it for £20. Most people are going to choose to take it for free, I like how someone I know compared this to how men always say that they never have a ****, when infact as soon as they get in the door they are having one.

8. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 17 Feb 2008
  9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i think people pirating stuff is an indicator that something is wrong...... its like seeing that your city is fledged by crime..... it might be that people are brutish animals with no conscience... or maybe its drugs.... or maybe stuff is to expensive for people to buy so they steal it......

lower the prices in media and you lower piracy, make new ways to sell stuff to people and you lower piracy.

do the same, DRM, crap media, high prices, different release times, region locking, lack of inovation.... etc.... and piracy will always be common....

edit: Silver Shamrock give me irrefutable evidence that piracy is doing the damage media producers claim...... there are lost sales and there are phantom sales... as in people download stuff they would never buy or use.... and there are the sales attributed to piracy, as in people becoming fans of X software/game/band/producer/company because they used something of that software/game/band/producer/company that they downloaded from the internet.

what is making more harm? piracy or long time dogmas and lack of innovation? what is easier to solve?

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    People pirate stuf because they can do it without geting caught.

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

people **** of in the dark because they can without getting caught.... but in some countries if you are caught you get your hands chopped off......

maybe people pirate stuff because they cant afford to buy better real stuff, maybe they pirate because they don't want the hassle of having to pick them selves up and go to the shop or spend stupid amounts of money on music on the internet on media that is not worth it... but no, people that have at least one peace of pirated media are thieves, filthy thieves that make people starve to death and eat babies......:grr:

12. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

We are theives if we download music/films etc without the rights to do so.

I think its entirely true (it is for me anyway) that if people didn't download the songs they would probably never buy them.
    So saying every pirated song is a loss of revenue for the record companies is horse-****.

I hope to see more artists realising that their record labels are probably not doing them any favours and are willing to try something new.
    Harvey Danger are one such band and I hope it goes really well for them. :)

13. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

Except taking the product from the man probably wouldn't be illegal (presuming he paid for it etc)
    In which case the store would still have got the money for the product anyway.

If you download some music or a film illegally, without paying. You are a theif. You have taken an item through illegal means to avoid paying for it. It's no different than slipping an album into your coat in a shop.

14. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It's not exactly the same. If you steal from a large retailer, the company loses a fraction of a percent of a sales figure.
    If you steal from a small private shop, the owner loses a bit of money.
    If you pirate it, the original artist loses, like, a tenth of a ****ing penny. I think he'd forgive me...though, in the hypothetical confrontation, stealing someone's work might be construed as insulting despite no material loss.

Also, I agree, it makes me a thief. But that's okay, you know? I'm a thief. I happily admit it, just as I happily admit to masturbation, matricidal fantasies, polygamic aspirations, antisocial behaviour...you know, I'm just not a very good person. And it's none of your business, unless it's your CD I stole just now.

15. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Yay! Consumer win: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7246403.stm

16. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

by your analogy each time i downloaded an album from the internet somewhere in the world the same album would disappear and someone would be at loss.... (or by the RIAA analogy, each time you download a song you are stealing hundreds of songs because of the way the system works, so in your analogy each time i got an album from the internet hundreds of albums would disappear from stores and peoples homes)

nope, piracy is like having a portable cloning machine in your pocket, you go to the shop. you pass it over the album and put the album were it was, get home and voala, you have the same album but without all the bling and blang of the original and sometimes with less quality. the album is still there in the store were another person can buy it, or even you that cloned the album, the store loses nothing and sometimes has to gain, its almost as good as free advertising.....

and considering that almost everyone i know has at least one pirated album.... that's about 14 sound tracks (remember that guy that was pwnd for less tracks?).... well.... i think there are not enough jails to put pirates in or money in the world to pay for the lawsuits.....

Last edited: 16 Feb 2008
  18. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I saw this on Neowin, and a guy made an interesting argument there:

What do you guys think of that?

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Just call it freeloading.

20. Major

Major Guest

Think you'll find it isn't.

A) You have to have a pair of balls to do something like that.
    B) You have a high chance of getting caught, maybe even jail time.
    C) Look like a total ***** in front of everyone.
    D) People who steal products from stores normally don't have a decent life.
    E) An estimated 7.4 million UK internet users have knowingly downloaded music illegally, don't think 5% of them would steal from a shop.
    F) If I'm downloading an album from a bunch of people around the world who have downloaded it free, then they arn't making a loss and neither am I, that album came from one album, which could of been bought. Stealing from a shop is totally different, the supplier has made it, then the shop has bought it, then you've stolen it, that's a loss of money to the shop.

Every time you download an album, it's being shared around, your not stealing a product everytime you download a file. And on top of that, I don't buy music anyway, even if I didn't pirate, the last album I bought was for a mate of mine. If I want an album which I cannot download, I'll normally ask my mate, he spends about £40 a week in HMV buying music.