1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Novatech laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neonplanet40, 16 Feb 2008.

1. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

Hey Guys.

Currently out for a high end laptop and was going to go with rock direct. However you can get a very similar spec with Novatech for nearly £400 less.

Are they any good and should i get one? I should also say that they also have them IN STOCk whereas with Rock it seems to be all adverts and no products.

Thanks

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

my dad's previous company used to buy tons from Novatech, but the laptop are cheap for a reason, with same usage and bought the same time, the Acer laptop survived longer.

i have heard a LOT of good things about ROCK, so i would think wait for Rock is best.

you know what they say, you get what you payed for.

3. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

How coincidental is that! I was looking at high-end Novatech and Rock laptops meself the other day... the X80R / X770-T9300 respectively.

I'd much prefer to buy a Rock laptop - due to their known reputation in the market.
    But I'm not gonna pay up to £400 more for one, if I can get what's basically the same system from Novatech :idea:

At the end of the day... they both have a one year warranty as standard.
    However... whilst you have to pay a small fortune to extend a Rock warranty... you can get a 2 year 'Care Pack' from Novatech - which includes collection cost, return cost, and all parts and labour... for just £40 :clap:

BTW Neonplanet: 9x HDD's in that system of yours :eeek:

4. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

Lol i have another 6 500GB hard drives now in a Windows Home Server :p

Cheers for the comments guys.

Btw Hazardous. Rocks laptops comes with 3 year return to base warranty as standard. Im only being put of novatech because i think they must be using cheaper components. There has to be a reason why there is a £400 difference.

Any other opinions?

Neon

5. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I am in no position to comment on either of them really - but the Novatech one is so much cheaper you could get that (with the £40 extended warranty) then if it breaks in the next 2 years, you get a repair/replacement (as you would with the Rock) and if it breaks after 2 years, it will be out of date enough to need replacing and you will have an extra £350 for it.

6. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

wuyanxu you following?
    Im a member of there forum, have been for ages, customer service from them is great :)

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Novatech laptops are built almost to order from there main building down here in Portsmouth, as are their PC's. I know people who have had Nova Lappys, some are good, others not so good, it depends on how well you look after it mainly, but whilst returning goods to Nova for many a reason, its mainly their PC's and Laptops i see being returned, which doesn't boed to well in my thoughts. As for Rock, i have again heard mixed feelings about them, especially their support service, being terrible (Mobile Support) I would look around further, Asus, Dell, Sony all have nice laptops, look around on www.laptopsdirect.co.uk as they have a nice big range.
    Hope this helps

Sam

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

customer service is great, but, large but, a friend of mine had a Novatech laptop, after about 8month, he starts to hear clicking noises, and soon, it will not turn on, returned it without a fuss, repaired and got it back within 1 week, but was soon broken again.

im a loyal customer at Novatech, but used to be for barebone, now only components, as i've learnt their cheap PSU in barebones are horrible!
    don't get me wrong, they are great component company, but their machine are cheap for a reason

9. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

WEll novatech mainly supply schoools...i guess thats why they're so cheap.

10. kingosticks

kingosticks What's a Dremel?

Ive got a Rock Peg 665 and I would not buy from them again due to the constant graphics problems Ive had with the laptop. I am currently 6+ weeks without my laptop due to "availability problems due to Chinese New Year" and I think that speaks for itself. However, the support is usually quick and the people helpful but ultimately useless as it can come back with the same or even worse problem - do they even test before returning? I dont think they are worth the premium price they charge but I also dont think its worth getting something plain cheap. There must be something in the middle you can go for.

11. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

http://www.kobaltcomputers.co.uk/

Think im getting it there. Guys seem friendly on the forum and they use artic silver 5!!! Always a good thing lol. Plus they offer free dead pixel test. And you can update your cart to include 3 years return to base warranty. Bit cheaper than Rock too.