1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress G5 Sacrilege update Jun. 15th a tale of two doors

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jhanlon303, 14 Feb 2008.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I'm awake! Man, that's gonna look so cool when you get them welded together. :thumb:

2. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

yeahh i'm awake... conngrats you've got alubox duo :p nice, very nice !!

3. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

So, you nearly stand at the brink of your first make-or-break precipice...how to stitch all these meshed segments back together seamlessly and securely.
    That's going to be tough, but even tougher I think is how do you plan to segment the sidepanels to retain the G5's iconic "handles"?

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Thanx. I just watched the video. I was busy making small pieces out of a large G5! This log will go on ACRyan for sure.
    John

5. jhanlon303

As someone mentioned, I have enough of the blank G5 front left to use as a template for a hole drilling jig. We shall see.
    I am almost at a loss on the handles and feets. The G5, when made this small pushes the handles and feet almost together and loses the look and feel of the G5. I think I may have an idea to scale the front to back width of them without losing the look. Keep watching. Damn this is fun! I've done this for more than 10 years and the Casdon and this G5 are the only ones anyone has seen. The majority of my work was for me with the occasional whip me up a window or a res for the young lan partying friends. Add a fan, CCFL my case, that sort of thing.
    John

6. hanabusa

hanabusa What's a Dremel?

いい感じです。

It is good. :thumb: Shape can been done.

How is the hole of the mesh connected?

良いです。形が出来てきましたね。

メッシュの穴の繋がりはどうするんですか?

7. jhanlon303

I am going to try J. B. Weld first. It is an epoxy that is made for metal. It can be sanded and drilled when dry. I hope this was the right answer to your question.
    John

8. projectW

projectW What's a Dremel?

hmm... i thought you're going to use the optical door downwards... like |_|.... change of plans? :D

9. jhanlon303

Not so much change of plans as an idea to see how much I could get out of 1 G5 case. All this was done by measuring and fiddling with only one of the three cases in the original post. Most people can't find one case, and I'm probably the only guy crazy enough to have 3! Use one for mini-Mac as someone called it and still have the parts to make an mATX in another for another build. That make any sense? It's early in Colorado.
    John

10. theAlien

theAlien I know what a Dremel is....

..you could also JB Weld some of the left over from the cut out front to the new inside of the shortend front and allign it with 3mm screws,let it dry and then drill out the excensive JB Weld from the inside .........
    :confused: I hope that makes some kind of sense and you know what I mean .............:confused:

Alan

11. jhanlon303

I think so. Like make small panels maybe 4 rows tall and just wide enough to fit inside. Mesh strengthening panels that would match the hole alignment. Remove the screws when dry. Nice idea. The Apple PCI slots and the door latch are sort of made that way only spot welded. There is still a TON of work coming up with the belt sander and files to get it square enough to bond.
    Tonight I slice the top and bottom to get the final cube shape. Then we have to do the PCI slot cage, the power button and front audio cut outs, little fiddly bits that will take some real time.:sigh:
    John

12. theAlien

............yep.........that's what I was thinking of ............

Alan

13. jhanlon303

The rear is 3 pieces and will need the most support. I was thinking of aluminum L channel running up and down inside the verticals. Your idea saves me having to put non Apple parts in the case. I'll use the existing Apple holes in the sides and rivet the L channels in temporarily and remove them when done. Great ideas.
    John

14. theAlien

........lets keep it all Apple............

Congrats to you winning one of the DUO Box's over @AC Ryan.........:thumb:

and *Subscribed*

Alan

15. jhanlon303

Thank you. As I mentioned in Tribal's thread, The only thing I ever won was in 1975 - my wife!
    2 wins is awesome!
    John

16. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

John, have you started thinking about how this case will be finished?
    I think JB Weld might have problems with both powder coating and anodizing, so if you were considering either process some investigating would be in order.

17. jhanlon303

Lowes and Home Depot have several brands of aluminum epoxies. I'll be testing several on scraps as I get a long further.
    John

18. jhanlon303

Quick verbal update

1.)
    I have been pondering and many have asked how to get the front and back pieces with the holes lined up. Playing this morning with aluminum corner channel I just realized I could clamp a piece horizontally to the mesh, drill a couple hole in the L channel from the inside, bolt it to the case as a guide on the belt sander. No more freehand. Grind to angle piece and quit. Straight edge!
    2.)
    I am playing with the original inner piece that holds the air baffle and the optical and HDD shelf and just realized that this is a good piece to bolt on ( after it is cut down some) to keep the front and back panels straight up and down.

Pictures tonight of the case cut down to a cube, and some thinking with the camera pictures.

I'm off to work and 8 hours of cable management in one of my companies rack mount products.:yawn:
    John

19. zwiks

zwiks My avatar: :D

coming nicely together .. :D

off topic:
    I have send you a private message to you John..

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

*cough*solder it!*cough*
    Thanks for the heads up on the contest the other day.
    -And congratulations.:D

Tags: