1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illegal downloaders 'face UK ban'- VM to Pilot Scheme

Discussion in 'Serious' started by steveo_mcg, 12 Feb 2008.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it has taken 10 years to them to develop bad music, DRM, superfluous spending, region locking, staged releases.... i really cant see them surviving or evolving during the next 10 years, even without piracy, until now they have done nothing other than stagnate and sue.......

i see it as the USA invading India, because their crap cheap cars are killing the USA car industry, instead of evolving and improving and differentiating their cars......

if it is not high, does not bother you, is your type of music and a fiscalizing person hears it then the guy playing the music will get a fine.... if we obey the copyright law as it is.

2. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I agree with option C, simply because it makes the most logical sense in progression, and is at the same time most probable.

on the harddrive side, the best way to find out the current sum total of HDD space in the world is to take how many disks have been manufactured and take away percentages for RAID, failures, and disuse

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Bad music still gets freeloaded, not everyones tastes are the same. DRM and region locked were reactions to piracy.
    They are evolving, no longer focusing on the freeloader but trying to ally with ISPs. Wouldnt be surprised to see ISP opening online music stores.
    No he wont. He is just listening to his music.
    And how will pirates and freeloaders be dealt?

4. Major

Major Guest

Mum rang me up today and told me she bought Take That Album + Lionel Richie Album, but she forgot to buy Leona Lewis's, so I downloaded it, burnt it to CD, and gave it to her. Saved her £8 + another trip out.

Result.

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I think at some point you have to accept that they won't. People will always pirate content because they can. You can't stop them from doing so any more than yu can stop gravity or enrtopy.

The key for content manufacturers is to ignore the people who will never buy and instead focus on making content people want to pay for.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

and letting other people listen to it in the process, this counts as a public performance.... IIRC.

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

As pedantic as it is he has a point, there was a case last year where a kwik fit garage was fined for playing the radio as it constituted a public broadcast.

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

that is the case i remember....

9. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

CSS (the DRM on DVDs) and DVD ragion codes were part of DVDs since before they were on sale to the public weren't they?
    So how could they have been a response to piracy?

Region Locking does nothing but allow the assholes in charge of releasing movies to sell them for different (artificially high) prices in different regions without the people in those regions sourcing them from cheaper regions.

All DRM is fundamentally doomed to fail.
    If you pay for the content you are logically going to want to view it.
    They have to allow you to unlock it.
    Was there any point in locking it in the 1st place if they give you the lock and the key?

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

in fact piracy already existed before DVDs..... but region coding is how you say it is, just another way to control the flow of the spice......... money.

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    There will always be some piracy and freeloading, its unreasonable to imagine they can be erradicated entirely. Piracy is already been fought and is deserving no sympathy from anyone, however P2P freeloading is having a massive surge. It is no longer an activity of the tech savvy but made by anyone with a PC and broadband, just check the bus driver example DXR_13KE posted in the previous page. Left unchecked will distort any future system, even the C scenario of digital age evolution.
    Dont know the case, but doesnt surprise me. Stores who have ambient music (or radio) do have to pay for the right, in Portugal the entity is the SPA, if not mistaken. Am sure in UK(?) a similar rule applies.
    Piracy that was already been made in previous formats.
    It also allows for different release dates and bonus to be added.

12. steveo_mcg

At DXR's point was that while stores have to pay for a public broadcast (as should the garage) people who are playing music too loud should also have to pay if you followed copy right law to the letter.

Bonus to be added, sir you are delusional if you believe that by making people wait they add value of any description other than to them selves

13. Major

Major Guest

Errrrr....

Copied tapes and disks come to mind waaaay before DVD piracy. :cooldude:

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    If playing music too loud, chances are you get fined for noise pollution before copyright infringement.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

not loud loud, loud as in: " very loud for the person hearing it with his headphones, and a mumble or a whisper to people around him, high enough to be understood but low enough not to disturb".

as for freeloading, we could also consider people that are lent media from friends as freeloaders, they are enjoying something they did not pay for..... you could also consider the person selling second hand media part freeloader, he only paid X (were X = price of 1st hand media - 2nd hand selling price) for his enjoyment.... of course these guys are not pirates....... :worried:

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    The person playing the music has the right to listen to it, but not to broadcast it in a way that other persons benefit full from it.
    The friend paid and, while the media is lent, cant use it.
    Again, what happened was a transfer of right to use the media, this time paid.

Regarding the "give them time" point:
    EU, broadcasters give thumbs-up to P2P startup
    The EU is contributing €15 million towards the development of a next-gen BitTorrent client that will allow streaming in addition to P2P downloading, with another €4 million coming from 21 other partners. The partners—which include big names like the BBC, the European Broadcasting Union, and Pioneer Digital Design Centre Limited—describe the project as an effort to develop Europe's "next-generation Internet television distribution system."

The project is called P2P-Next, and the technology behind it is being developed by the folks behind open-source, decentralized P2P service Tribler. The P2P-Next project will use the next four years to determine how well a wide-scale launch of the technology will work among the masses. "If successful, this ambitious project could create a platform that would enable audiences to stream and interact with live content via a PC or set-top box," P2P-Next said in a statement. "In addition, it is our intention to allow audiences to build communities around their favourite content via a fully personalized system."

17. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Heh...this old gem's still going, is it? Ah, but I see it's turning into something of a one-on-one flame duel.

Well, to throw the gauntlet down again: I've downloaded another 3 films and 2 games since last posting here, and I heartily recommend it to anyone and everyone. Stealing is good for you!

Come on admins, trevor's tired of living

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

IIRC even a small portion of a copyrighted song is copyrighted, so even if you listen to 15 seconds of non paid or non publicity of music then you are infringing copyright protection.... in theory at least

2+ people on one licence..... i think that is against copyright... an starves the artist....

...paid to a person that has no rights to sell media.... the artist gets ziltch and another person enjoys the artist work

we can go softly with copyright law or we can go anal, we cant go both ways.......

edit: boiled_elephant this is not a flame war ;) this is a healthy conversation between two "tugas".

19. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Not quite.
    In theory, if he loans the disc to a friend, its the equivalent of selling the disc for free on the understanding its sold back to him for free in the future.
    If he's MP3'd it before lending it, he couldn't legally listen to the MP3s while his friend 'owns' the disc.

The owner of the disc retains the right to sell that disc onwards.
    The only problem is if he doesn't destroy any copies he's made (for playing in car or on MP3 player etc) before the sale.

20. steveo_mcg

A further update on this, the government are denying a three strikes approach and that they would prefer self regulation... Does any one still trust politicians or for that matter the media.

Linky