1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows Vista 32bit OEM

Discussion in 'Software' started by Steve-0, 19 Feb 2008.

1. Steve-0

Steve-0 What's a Dremel?

I got a may 2007 Systems student media windows vista ultimate 32 bit only - english disk
    29$ at the university... right?
    well is there a way i can somehow get 64 bit with the same key?
    i bought another 2gigs of ram, and my mobo only says 3.1 gigs
    i know 32 bit only addresses 4total + video etc
    so im wondering is there anyway to get a 64 bit disk? or something

2. mrlanrat

mrlanrat What's a Dremel?

Yes, you can!

Get a 64bit install dvd (you can torrent one) And during the install use your cd key. Its legal if you use your original key. I did the same thing except with an OEM key instead of a Student key. All the vista disks have all of the versions of vista on them.

BTW, whats the difference between retail and student? Is there any?

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yes you can, OEM or RETAIL it will work, and the activation will NOT cause any problems.

I have a firend that has Vista Home Premium OEM 32-bit, an wanted to get the 64-bit. I have Vista Ultimate RETAIL.
    We put my 64-bit Vista RETAIL disk in, he put his Home Premium OEM CD key. And the setup finished with Home Premium OEM 64-bit.

Unlike Windows XP (well i am not sure with the SP2 disks), but every edition of Vista, RETAIL and OEM are all the exact same disk. The only thing that is different is the disk sticker that says what edition of Vista you have, literary.

4. mrlanrat

Correct, except you may need to do phone activation. Just tell them your computer crashed and you needed to re-install.

5. GoodBytes

When I did this at my friend house, during the setup we were thinking of excuses as he switch 3 times his motherboard, due to manufacture error, and compatibility issues, within a week. And he had, of course, call them every time to activate Vista. But when Vista was installed the online activation passed without any issues. So I'll be surprised that a phone activation would be required. But mrlanrat is correct, better to know what to say if it ever happens.

6. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

Sweet as a nut, I've been wanting to change to 64-bit for a while now!

7. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Wait, what? If all the disks have all the versions on then won't a particular key relate to which version you can install, and not the disk? Just asking :)

8. GoodBytes

When you put your CD-key in Windows installer, it will auto-detect the version based on the serial key and install the proper Windows edition.
    If you do not insert a CD-key in Windows installer, you will be ask to pick the Windows edition that matches your CD-key. If you install let's say Windows Ultimate without a key, and after the setup you put your home premium key, then activation will fail, and I think you go in a 30day trial of the Ultimate Edition. The only solution would be to re-install Window and enter the correct key or selecting the proper edition. The idea of letting you pass at the setup without a key is if you would like to try Vista or a specific edition of Vista, OR if you have your serial key but you have it in an e-mail or something and you forgot to take note of it, you can use Window to grab the key, enter it and activate windows.

With such system, this is how Microsoft offer the ability for you to update your edition of Windows Vista anytime (you have to pay of course (I think the difference between each edition)), as all the editions of Vista are found on the disk.

9. mushky

mushky gimme snails

So is there one disk that has all the 32bit versions and one that has 64bit ?? And the key you get will give you the version (home, premium etc) you bought, but you can use it with the other disk to get either 32 or 64 bit?

10. GoodBytes

11. mushky

mushky gimme snails

phew! brain not work too good before lunch. thanks :)

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Blimey, didn't know you could use an oem key for 32-bit to install the same 64-bit version. Right, 4Gb here we come :lol: Just got to find a virgin iso now!

13. surtur

surtur What's a Dremel?

can a similar process be done with XP?

14. GoodBytes

I don't think so.
    With Windows XP SP1 disk, I can tell you no, I never tried with SP2 disk (as I don't have it), but I'll be surprised Microsoft changed.
    In Windows XP each edition OEM and Retail are separate. From my test, my XP OEM serial key did not work in my retail copy of XP.
    And each edition: Tablet PC/Home/Professional/Professional 64-bit/Media Center/Itanium is it's own disk.

15. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I thought OEM was the exception in the new MS system... :confused:

Goodbytes "downgraded" from a Vista retail disc to an OEM installation, YMMV going the other way.

16. mrlanrat

As GoodBytes said it cannot. Every XP disk is different. weather it be Home, Pro, MCE or OEM, Retail, enterprise or x64 pro.

This is something new that is so far only in vista and hopefully in all upcoming versions of windows also.

17. mrlanrat

UPDATE: As of SP3 Microsoft should also do this with XP. All XP SP3 disks should have all versions. (except the 32bit vs 64 bit.)

18. LouisHR

LouisHR uhh?

My friend gave me a so called burned copy of a windows xp professional 64 bit cd that he is no longer using since moving to vista. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's just a torrented file, but he assures me it's not, just a backup from the original. If he is lieing and it is torrented, if i used it would there be any legal issues? any way for microsoft to detect it? I only have 32 bit xp and it would be a nice upgrade, but I don't like to play with legal fire.

19. GoodBytes

Upgrading to Windows XP 64-bit is the worst you can do. The OS has lots of compatibility issues, and buggy.
    You are better off with Windows XP 32-bit, in my opinion.

In the other hand, Vista 64-bit is superior than Vista 32-bit and Windows XP.

What?!? Nooooooo...
    I have Windows Vista Ultimate edition RETAIL, it is my FRIEND that has Home Premium 32-bit OEM. He wanted to upgrade to Home Premium 64-bit OEM.
    As you know you you should technically buy a new copy of Vista OEM if you want the 64-bit edition (or vice versa), so what I did is I came to his place with MY Ultimate 64-bit RETAIL disk, and installed it, but using HIS Home Premium CD key. In results HE has Home Premium OEM 64-bit. (as all the Vista editions RETAIL and OEM are all the same)

20. mrlanrat

Its perfectly legal even if he did torrent it as long as you use your cd key.

Tags: