1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man kicked out of cinema for taking own sweets in.

Discussion in 'General' started by samkiller42, 19 Feb 2008.

1. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Full story here.

I kind if agree why he took his own food into the cinema, as its ridiculously expensive, but i also saw it from Cineworlds perspective. I think though, maybe Cineworld could lower prices a wee tad.
    Feel free to discuses below.

Sam

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Take any town, anywhere, and this happens every day. I find the price-gouging quite annoying, but I also understand the argument of the theater.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

That always used to happen at our local cinema complex. They have since changed the rules. , and the prices.

4. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I hate the cinema. too many twits eating loud sweets or popcorn.

5. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe What's a Dremel?

I would not let them touch my bag. Who the f*** they think they are?! And they wonder why theaters are getting less popular with more people pirating movies or just watching on ever increasing home screens. This is ridiculous.

And the argument of the theater?.. I mean it's one thing bringing home cooked lasagna or get pizza delivered to a cinema, but a can of coke and few snacks?

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Ugh, is that not just because it's the rules? Don't see why it's a news story at all- most cinemas have a policy of only eating food you've purchased within the premises, it's just very few check what you're bringing in as it'll put customers off going there again. It used to be almost obligatory to wear large-pocketed coats to see a film when I was a kid ;).

7. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

At uni people used to sell sweets outside the cinema :p
    £1 would get you a massive bag of gummy bears!

The cinema couldn't do anything about it because there were so many people bringing their own sweets that throwing a hissy fit would have lost them more money than the sweets were worth.

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

You're joking right? Do you think cinemas like Cineworld make a single pound from ticket sales? Cinemas make around 95% of their profit from food, without them they'd go under in no time. Expensive it might be, but it's necessary for the cinemas to continue operating. I'd much rather they charged a lot for the sweets (which I rarely eat) and kept the films the price they are, than had cheap sweets but expensive tickets.

9. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

now you're joking right?!

By that I mean, if the tickets were any more expensive I'd expect to take the seat home with me :p

10. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Just too many twits, period.

Last time I went to the cinema was for 300 I think, and I barely was able to enjoy that with all the idiots that were in the few back rows. It's just put me off the whole thing altogether. I'd rather just wait for the Blu-rays instead... and have the luxury of eating what I want.

The cinema experience for me just isn't what it used to be :(

11. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I didn't even realised you weren't supposed to smuggle sweets in.

I would do it, but I quite like the pick 'n' mix experience. Often more than the films in fact.

12. dom_

dom_ --->

Im sorry but are people unable to not eat for 2 hours?

If it is too expensive then don't buy it.

13. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

My mum always does this, I'd be so angry if they chucked her out lol
    Personally I like buying food there although it is expensive, odeon do a kids popcorn sweets drink deal they we always get (and look like idiots in the process) cause its actaully not bad value for money

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

+1

that and cinema tickets are becoming stupid expensive....

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

+1 on the loud eating hatred.

However, store and cinema security have no right to search your bag, and no right to confiscate goods. While they're probably within their legal rights to refuse entry to the cinema, if they sold you a ticket to see a movie (which I assume constitutes a contract in essence, between you and them, you paying them money for the service of seeing a movie) I think they'd be on more dubious grounds when refusing entry unless they'd clearly stated when buying the ticket that they could at a later date destroy the contract for a full refund (assuming this is even legal, which again I'm unsure about).

Personally, I think we need a lawyer in here (fathazza?) since it's important for people to know whether the cinema have the legal right to stop you from seeing a movie once you've paid for it. Certainly, I can't see it being legal for them to confiscate stuff or even search bags without permission, unless it's clearly stated at the time of the ticket purchase that by purchasing a ticket you give them the right to do so.

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I don't. They already make a ton off of the films themselves. Why are we so complacent with this crap? It's not like cinema proprietors are on the verge of starving or going bankrupt or anything, which is more than can be said about a lot of their customers. Don't be tempted into feeling sorry for a ****ing corporate chain, for God's sake. They're robbing you, simple as. The prices ARE absurd; you SHOULD take food in.

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Read the thread dude, they don't.

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm guessing you mean this:
    Sorry, it was like, right in the middle, I didn't see it. Everyone was talking about twits, and pick 'n mix, and stuff >.>

I still don't get it, though. That is, why does the film industry pay actors wages that could feed a 3rd-world country for doing what they enjoy, and not give cinemas a decent cut on screenings?

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Because there are a few million cinemas, and only a handful of A list celebrities. The other reason is that cinemas will accept lower cuts, because they can make money on popcorn, and the business model functions. So long as the customers don't actually show some initiative and take stuff in. If they do that, the system breaks, and the system is a lot slower to respond and fix itself than the consumer is to wise up and start working out ways of saving money.

20. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yes, some people are unable to not eat, if a diabetic gets low half way through a film, what they gonna do? Be forced to leave the cinema or have a fit in the chair?