1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man kicked out of cinema for taking own sweets in.

Discussion in 'General' started by samkiller42, 19 Feb 2008.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Specious argument that. Only about 2.6% of the world population suffers from any kind of diabetes, and the majority of those won't "get low" within a 2 hour movie. Regardless, obviously if you've got a mars bar tucked into a little pack beside several vials of insulin and some hypo's, the £5.55 an hour security jerk is going to leave you the hell alone.

Let's face it, the majority of people who stuff their faces in the cinema are doing so because it's become customary to stuff your face in the cinema. It wasn't so bad several years ago, the atmosphere was still there. Lights were off, I could get lost in the movie, I could forget I was surrounded by annoying couples, ugly children, and fat old people. People were slightly more conscientious about eating, everything was done quietly.

These days people loudly munch away, the lights are on enough that retarded idiots don't trip and break their neck (if only they would I could have the lights down :() and there's always some ****** 1 or 2 rows in front of me who texts on his phone during the entire movie. Great idea moron, I don't have to listen to you, I only have to be distracted by a bright LCD screen for 2 hours.

Still, at least DVDs are cheap, DRM free, and region free...

2. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Bloody stupid i always smuggle stuff into the cinema because i aint paying there stupid prices, unless of course its popcorn, as its kinda hard to walk in with a big bag of the stuff, let alone it being warm!

Cinema has just degraded to crap now, everytime i go a bunch of young uns on the back row talking all the way through and i even had some walk up and down half way through the film and then leave before it even finished, whats the point of paying the £4 to not watch the film?

Best time i went to the cinema was with the girlfriend to watch bloody happy feet, as the kids watching were pre-pubesent, were quiet and all reacted comically (and AWWW CUTE to the girlfriend ) to the film.

3. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

How much is a cinema ticket in the UK now? I heard it was 10quid or somewhere or even more in some places in London? Can't be...that's NUTS!

it's only about 4-5quid, very good cinemas here, nice and quiet, still have your typical idiotic kids though. Depends if it's an expat area or not however.

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

£4 quid...£4 QUID?????

Christ on a bike, it's between £7.50 and £9 to see a film here, and that's similar for all 3 cinemas within 30 minutes of me.

You can also pay extra for "Premium" seats, which recline. Nice.

How much is, for instance, a large popcorn and coke up there? Here it's £6-£7.

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

why go to the cinema at all?
    for only seeing it once time per payment? for people talking? for people that dont turn their mobile off because they are too retarded to realize that the world wont stop turning if they arent reachable for an hour or two? for the overpriced food and drinks? for the terrible image quality? for the dirty toilets?
    no thx, the dvd will be out a few month later anyways.

sorry, just made a list of why not to bother with them.

6. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Absolutely. Add extra for travel/parking your car and you won't see much change from £20.

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

There are still some films i like to see at the cinema, basicly big budget explosion films, transformers, batman, Bourne. I just never get round to seeing them... Thinking about it the last film i went to see at the cinema was Batman Begins.

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

An awful lot of that is due to rent. Cinemas are big places and down south, especially in London, rent is enourmous. Tickets cost a lot because the cinemas need to charge that much simply to attempt to break even. Imagine how much the food would be if they charged £4 a ticket at the big cinema at the O2 centre in north london? £30 for a coke? It's not unreasonable. They have to charge you somewhere, it's about balancing what people are willing to pay.

It's the same reason a coffee at Starbucks costs a fiver, 90% of that goes on the rent. Many high-street coffee stores actually make a loss on each coffee sold due to the huge rent costs of having essentially a cafe on prime retail estate.

9. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

The problem I think that people are not going to the cinema is becuase of the high prices. Nearly £10 for a Ticket, £4 for the smallest drink which is around 1litre, £4 for a small popcorn. They increase their prices becuase less people come and they need to get their profit somehow. They are doing it to themselves, if they kept the ticket price affordable then im sure lots more people going.

With the prices now for one person equal to the cost of the DVD which is usually released within a couple of months after the cinema release. Im starting to buy more DVD's now than going to the Cinema, because I can get 2 new released films on DVD for cost of me and my wife going out to watch on film in the Cinema. 4 new DVD's if we get popcorn and a Drink.

So now that I got my big TV and surround sound speakers, im enjoying it home now and getting a large movie collection at the same time. Not as big and loud as the cinema, but close enough.

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Its only prime retail because some one is willing to pay, coffee shops don't have to be on the high street, if they're not making money move don't just keep bumping up your price because eventually you'll get a reputation as being very expensive and numbers will drop off and even when you do move to try and make some more money and drop your price you'll still have that reputation. Its similar with cinemas, some round here are in out of town shopping areas the only two traditional smaller cinemas have gone, the others are in fairly new developments with custom built units for a cinema. If the rent is too high in these they should just threaten to move there is nothing else to fill these spaces the rent would come down sharpish. Its just easier to gouge, however were seeing the result of that in falling attendance and people bringing there own food.

11. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

That's my local cinema...

There used to be a cheap sweet shop outside that cinema many years ago. It quickly became empty as nobody would go in the shop (dunno why?). That's when it was owned by another film company and "Grand Central" (where the cinema is) was relatively new.

12. BigPoppaJNutZ

BigPoppaJNutZ Beyond the Dremel...

I don't go to the cinema any more. Too many loud people, and the prices are way too high. For the cost of the trip, I can just buy it later.

13. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Here, it's £3.50 (student ticket) to the nearest two cinemas :rock:

14. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Each. Plus G/F, and you're getting on for £40 - to see one film.

Thank god for Lovefilm (or any other monthly DVD rental). 14-16 DVD's a month for less than half that.

And Tomm, I'm a bit off being a student, but all I can say is: Bar-Steward.

15. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

What? Lol, at my local cinema (metro centre) you're allowed to take you're own sweets in. Its an Odeon cinema as well. When they started letting you they even had a sign up saying you could as long as it wasnt hot food like sausage rolls etc

16. Major

Major Guest

I've always walked into the Odeon and Vue with sweets and drinks, walk in with a 2 litre bottle of coke under my arm and a huge bag of chocolates and I've never got stopped. Although nowadays I just walk in with a bottle of water. Don't see the problem with this at all, if they didn't charge stupid prices on drinks, ice cream and drinks, people wouldn't buy from outside and would just buy from inside the cinema when they walk into the screen. If I was stopped with food, I would just ignore them to be quite honest, what a joke.

Oh and did I say this is a joke?

17. dom_

dom_ --->

I am just imagining a family sitting down to a full roast dinner in the cinema with napkins tucked around their necks :D

18. Trefarm

Trefarm No matter what... It's all good

+1... and my living room has the advantages of Booze, Nicotin, Comfort Clothing, bladder relief, personalised volume e.t.c

19. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Feb 2008
  20. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

When I went to see Two Towers, there was me, my friend, and his dad, and we were all sat there and everybody else was talking (quite loudly as this point) as the film starts, and it gets to the bit where the camera goes thru the mountain, and the three of us had had enough, so we all yelled "SHUT UP!" at which point this loud boom from something came through the speakers, so everybody was stock silent for the rest of the film.

I too remember wearing my most be-pocketed coat to the cinema as a child. Mum would always be babysitting my cousin while my aunt and uncle were at court sorting their divorce - that lasted at least two years! so she always had a baby carrier/chair thing on her back, and we stashed stuff in there. The baby loved going to the cinema. Me and my brother were young so it wasn't exactly modern epics being shown but at the time it was stuff to shout about!

:D

Joe