1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The Witcher gets 'completely finished'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Feb 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

That's ridiculous, surely it's illegal to knowingly release a product which won't work?

3. naokaji

naokaji whatever

well, the witcher definitly improved a lot allready since release, patch 1.1 and even more so 1.2 ironed out plenty of problems.

kind of funny though to see that the published admits so openly that the game was released unfinished and should have spent some additional time in Quality control.
    Anyway, it was still the best RPG of 2007.

true and false at the same time, if audi would release a car that comes without wheels and brakes they would get laughed at, noone would buy it plus they would prolly get sued till hell freezes over..... but with software its publically accepted that it gets released unfinished / bugged.
    but, even if its accepted to a surprisingly high degree, the poor quality control and need for patches is one of the main reasons why consoles are such a success.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2008
  4. Ecto

Ecto What's a Dremel?

Why isn't it going to be called "The Witcher: fixed Edition"?

At least they are allowing previous buyers to 'upgrade' to the new fixed, ooops I meant enhanced edition. Wont matter, I would have finished it by then anyway......

5. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

"Well, that's all very nice and everything - but shouldn't the game have been completely finished when it was released the first time?"

That's not how Atari roll, dog :D

6. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

There'll both be a new (I heard that it'd be cheaper) version and a patch for those who's already bough the game once.

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah it's a shame that it got rushed out the door but I'm glad to see they are doing something about it.

8. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

hehe ever heard of vista?

9. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

I was gonna buy this soon so I guess I'll be waiting for this new version now

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

at least they are not putting the patch as a paid expansion pack as EA would do.....

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

At least they finished the game, unlike EA games, here after several (and in some cases 1 or 2) patches they just give up...

12. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I came up with a theory years ago that this is done on purpose.
    People download a game, it has some bugs but then a patch comes along. but the patch wont work with the downloaded version that they have so they go out and buy the game. which they will do becuase they have decided that they like the game. if they dont like it, they stop playing it.

aside frm that, 80% faster loads! sweet, the load times are way too long as it is.

13. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

wow, so i might finally be able to play this game. 33% of the time, after a load screen i just get a black image. 33% of the time after a load screen i simply can't move my character and the rest of the time it works, but could quit out at any moment. Although i only ever bothered with the first patch, after that the game got put on the shelf.

14. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

I wouldn't mind the bugs if they gave full discloser. If they haven't had the time to properly iron out the bugs, they should be made to put that on the product somewhere. Something along the lines of, "only suitable for beta testers".:D

15. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I bought "Supreme Commander" at a stage where it simply didn't work playably on a lot of otherwise-competent hardware, and only avoided an argument with Game because the manager didn't get to the front desk fast enough to stop the acolyte refunding me.

Very disappointing, although I found over the weekend, playing the demo, that it appears to have been fixed. If GPG had bothered to finish it before releasing it, they'd now be £30 richer.

16. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Although bugs in games are frustrating, I think the situation is a little better today than we've had in the past. I remember buying Heroes of Might and Magic III when first release, I couldn't actually finish the install until I had gone to the official website and found out I had to delete an install file which was preventing the game from installing. Glad those days are gone.

17. chiper136

chiper136 What's a Dremel?

Having said that consoles are beginning to become very patch heavy now that its almost a given that the console will be connected to the Internet.

18. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

its taken them how long to get this out, its rediculus

19. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well better now then never, right?

20. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

Honestly haven't had a single crash in the game, but 80% faster load times sound great. Just my opinion but I would place the blame for buggy releases on the greed of publishers. I see similar situations all the time here in my company. In attempt to make it look like they're doing something our upper management will push forward the release dates for a product even if its nigh impossible. As a result of this all of the people who are actually designing it have to work their ass off just to get it into a working state before the new release date and it ends up with problems upon release. My theory is they are worried too much about short term goals, to them earlier release = more time to sell and get their ROI.

Tags: Add Tags