1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Aluminum honeycomb availiable at FrozenCPU.com

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Saxxon, 16 Feb 2008.

1. Saxxon

Saxxon What's a Dremel?

2. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Hm... SPCR tried something similar to direct their airflow when doing CFM testing by using straws, and it ended up cutting the CFM in half compared to open-air measurements. I guess that's not really the same thing, but I'd like to see how much this really impacts performance.

3. Saxxon

Saxxon What's a Dremel?

SPCR application

I was contacted by SPCR for some of these last year. I sent them a few items but I never saw a review posted. Their application was not mated directly to the fan. I have had one running on my PC for months with great results.
    [​IMG]
    You can purchase just the material at low cost from FrozenCPU.com And it is very easy to install. Please post some resutls data if you end up getting one.
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7099/ffa-37/SaxonPC_Flow_Straightener_Without_Housing.html

[​IMG]

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

I'm sure everybody understood your request the first time :idea:

And (whilst I'm sure it's not your intention) I'd be wary of duplicating product links in each of your posts as well, else forum cynics could get to thinking you're pimping for FrozenCPU :eyebrow:

5. sheninat0r

6. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I think his intentions are fairly clear, since the link goes to the SaxonPC Flow Straightener.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I have never seen one of those

8. Saxxon

Saxxon What's a Dremel?

intentions

My intention is to let folks know it is avaliable. It is difficult material to obtain, especially in small quantity. Thanks for posting the SPCR link.
    Many users are wild over getting a few degrees cooler. Which is obvious from many forums. So if it helps some people out that's great. I would hate to be thought of as "pimping"

9. sheninat0r

The thing about this is that it's really not that big of a deal... it's easier, and cheaper, just to go and build a duct out of cardboard and tape to get the same drop in temps. If your goal is looks, then this would probably be sleeker than a big cardboard duct in your case...

10. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Yes, but case mods made from cardboard have that Ghetto-chic you just can't get anywhere else...

11. Rocket733

What's the material actually made of?

12. sheninat0r

Thread title says aluminum, so probably aluminum... hopefully the shroud is plastic though, as there would be no benefit to making that out of alu also.

13. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Until someone asks "Why have you got a loo roll in your case?" when they saw my cable ducting :blush:

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ain't no fool allowed to be crackin' wise 'bout my cardboard. Lay it on the line for 'em.

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Wish I knew about that a couple weeks ago... when I made one of these.

16. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Haha my thoughts exactly.. With the exception that my friend made those and I told him there HAS to be an easier way ;) Made my day to paste the product to him :blush: Though the holes might be too large for that use.

17. Saxxon

Saxxon What's a Dremel?

Material

It is made from aerospace 5052 grade aluminum. Used mostly in aircraft construction, and modern wind tunnels.
    Here is some photos of them in action with smoke on a 1 inch grid:
    [​IMG]
    And a short video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjJFx99YYPc

Cardboard is the last thing I would want to see in a projects, I don't even like plastic that much.

18. Saxxon

Saxxon What's a Dremel?

comment

I will take another video of it hitting a motherboard directly. It also changes the flow characteristic of how it will flow off the motherbaord or component. A duct will still contain the 2 vectors the fan puts off.
    The only place I could find honeycomb applied to a PC was Intel's thermal design guide for P35 chipsets.
    [​IMG]
    http://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/designex/31696803.pdf
    I wrote to the engineer that published this and asked more about the application. He said they use this setup to ensure a consistent 30 degree flow across the heatsink for validation testing.

"Wish I knew about that a couple weeks ago... when I made one of these."
    Lot of work you did to make that. Good job! That type of stuff is avaliable pre-made. Here are two pics of industrial made "straws"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The above pic still gives me the creeps, like a bug is gonna crawl out of there. :worried:

19. Rocket733

Thanks for following up. Even though it said Aluminum in the title I didn't see it mentioned specifically anywhere else. Could you provide some commentary about what's occuring in the pictures?

20. Saxxon

Saxxon What's a Dremel?

In the photos above: I saw here someone made an item out of black straws, I had some of this material and took a few pics of them with fans.
    I didn't continue carrying the larger cell version as it does not work near as well as aluminum. I do still carry the smaller cell size honeycomb in plastic because it is non-conductive. This is required for some applications, mostly industrial. I also have had this material running in a PSU for several months, replacing the input 120mm fan.
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2041/1494156026_400f1b2fd6.jpg?v=0
    The input 120mm fan on my Hiper PSU had the fan's center dead spot placed directly above the largest heatsink of the PSU, not putting much cooling where it is needed most. Being this case utilizes a case fan as an output fan for the PSU, it draws enough CFM to accomplish this mod.
    [​IMG]

That is the case, quite air tight compared to a store bought case. Here is a photo showing how the airflow travels through the PSU after passing through the honeycomb:
    [​IMG]

In the PSU the honeycomb is an inch closer, and you can see from the photo air travels all the way to the bottom before exiting.
    There is also some strips of this under the HDD because it ran quite warm, and without adding weight or moving parts it vents onto the HDD:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2073/1494138872_3cc834a013.jpg?v=0

The other photo above is from the Intel thermal design guide. It is the first remote mention of honeycomb in a PC in a year of searching for such applications. Although the design guide does not say much about the application, when I inquired about it the engineer sent me a photo of the commercial product that is a fan and honeycomb setup. I forgot the name of the product, it looked expensive.

The only other photos and the video shows how it aligns the velocities of the output side of a fan. I will get better photos with all the air the fan can engulf colored to show it's entire profile.

Thanks for asking for some clarification:D

Tags: