1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why do people hate microsoft mice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by notatoad, 20 Feb 2008.

1. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i haven't seen too much love for microsoft mice on this forum, i was wondering why. i'm thinking about picking up one of their wireless mice (either the 8000 or the new 7000 if it comes out soon) i really like how they feel, and don't want to think there are some big issues that i don't know about.

2. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I prefer Logitech mice for my personal use, but usually use Microsoft mice when I build for other people. Just stay away from the very cheapest, all-opaque wired model, as the cursor has a tendency to start moving of its own accord. My experience with all their other models has been nothing short of perfect, but I've never used either of the models you are looking at.

3. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

They're nice.

Can't say the same about my logitech revolution. Biggest waste of money and most uncooperativve customer support, unlike my mx 1000. It went something like "oh my mx revolution doesn't track properly or scroll properly" "oh.. please hold" *holds for 4 hours* *phone disconnects*

:(

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I've been using one of these for the last 8-9 years and it's still going strong. no pointer meandering at all as far as I can tell!

5. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I've been using the same Intellimouse Optical for 4 years now and it still works perfectly :dremel:. I think it's a superb mouse.

6. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

+1

Ver 1.1A here. Since god knows when.

7. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

+2

All 3 of the Intellimouse Optical mice ive had are still going strong, 4-5 years each.
    The shape and side buttons positioning is spot on I feel, as for the wire, I can live with that if it means my mouse wont die mid gaming and so that it dont feel like im chasing a brick around the desk.

8. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

ive got the wireless optical mouse 2.0 here at home and the rubber-y sided 5 button one at work (v 1.1 i think) - both are great.

i also have the logitech vx 710 set here for the laptop - and while that mouse tracks better up close, the further you get away from the TV the worse it feels. i also don't care for the symmetry of it ... i am right handed and like right hand specific mice.

before i got these i use a MS trackball optical + (the thumb ball one) for everything. that replaced the logitech thumb ball that died.

keyboards have always been MS split ones - until i got the ergo-wavey style one i use now.

9. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

+3

However, I did recently upgrade it to a Razer DeathAdder and it's made quite a difference to my ability to actually hit things I'm shooting at, when gaming :D

Then again, I need all the help I can get.

10. Zyphron

Zyphron What's a Dremel?

hmm

i dont think that people hate them, it think its more of an issue that a logictec feels better then a comparable mouse from MSoft.

one thing ive noticed is when i pick up a MS Intellimouse it seems to have a very plasticy feel on top. its also slick but yet it clings to dirt and well uhhh dead skin....the Rubber coating on the mouse seems to be pretty thin or just detoriates quickly.

on the other hand the logictec mice always seem to have a lighter feel and the rubber they use holds up to constant use.
    i had a corded G5 for over a year and i love the way the paint does not rub, it does not pick up dead skin and it looks just as new as it did when I got it.

recently ive been "converted" to the Wireless G7 its top is simmilar to that of the 5 but since I couldnt stand constantly cleaning my mouse. i took the mice apart and swaped out parts so my G7 looks like a wireless G5

im not sure how logictec made the radio on their new mice but they dont need syncing and have the precision of a corded Mouse

Last edited: 20 Feb 2008
  11. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

+4

Have a few of these about

12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

i'm using the logitech mx3200 desktopset, which includes a fantastic mouse.

There's one issue i have with it, but that's more of an issue with myself: i have very big hands, so all the mice i ever touched are too small. :wallbash:

13. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

I'm using a wireless intellimouse explorer 2.0 and it works quite well.

I think mostly you just don't hear much either way about microsoft mice; their keyboards on the other hand need some work, have to hit the F-lock key before being able to use F1-F12 (really annoying if you need F2 to get into the BIOS of F6 to load RAID drivers in XP)

14. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I have a wireless notebook laser mouse 6000. It is small and has a handy little place under it to store the wireless dongle in, but the buttons squeak, the scroll wheel is buggered (bot horizontally and vertically - the "tyre" has come off, and it doesn't always register what I am doing). It also gets through a lot of batteries.

More recently, I got a Logitech G5 which I love to bits. It has more features that the Microsoft mouse and it does them better. The only thing is that if you want to use it "on the go" its rather big.

Having said this, I think my mouse is the exception to the norm.

Edit: as to the "walking" pointer - my MS mouse does it too but the G5 is fine

15. Hann1bal

Hann1bal What's a Dremel?

+5 for intellimouse

+1 DeathAdder, this thing is a beast. And very comfortable :thumb:

16. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

For some stupid reason at work we have laptop mice.
    little black Microsoft ones,
    They are absolute ****, they randomly fly all over the screen and click. and most of the time it'll be the top right corner.. which is just fun.

17. mushky

mushky gimme snails

+6 at work

MX1000 at home. I prefer the logitech ergonomics. Good job I'm right handed :D

18. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

+7
    Been using mine for 2 years with my laptop, it's great. For gaming, I have a Diamondback.

19. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

okay, i guess people don't hate microsoft mice as much as i thought. good to know.

20. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

"i haven't seen too much love for microsoft mice on this forum"
    Because they eat all the cheesecake.:D