1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by C:\Joshy, 20 Feb 2008.

1. C:\Joshy

C:\Joshy How much cake can you eat in a min?

hi people,
    i recently gave my motherboard a good clean and de-dusting. however when i put it all back together ther is a problem; the computer turns on but nothing is shown on the screen and no input is detected, i know ther is no problem with my monitor as i have tried it with my laptop. i have checked, checked and checked agiain that everything is conected properly and secure.

i am hoping at most it is the motherbored not the gfx card.

any help greatly apreiceated,
    thanks
    =]

2. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

what did you use to do the cleaning? if might be that if you have used compressed air that youve got propellant on the mobo and done some damage that way.

Best thing to do is try get a spare GFX card and try ssee if that helps.

Do you get any PC beeps when you boot?

3. technologyslice

technologyslice What's a Dremel?

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the graphics card.

4. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I have had the same problem - twice. The first time was the ram, the second time was the motherboard.

If your motherboard beeps or has some LED readout, then there should be a guide in your manual as to what the problem is. If you have a beeper on the motherboard and it doesn't beep (but usually does) then it is probably that.

If you have two sticks of RAM, try removing one and booting with the other, then swap them round - that should show you if it is the RAM.

It would also be helpful if you could "borrow" some bits from another computer to test.

EDIT: MixWizard, have you deliberately named yourself after a sound desk?

Last edited: 21 Feb 2008
  5. Doyleyboy

Doyleyboy What's a Dremel?

yeah just test things one by one. might take a while, but at least youll know for sure