1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Sins of a Solar Empire

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 24 Feb 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Cataclysm was a good continuation. I'm into the spacey stuff, so this will definitely make its way to my hard drive. Would be even better if it were Steam-distributed.

By the way, you might want to revise most of the image thumbnails. :lol:

3. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

The game looks amazing, I'm off to Google where I can find it.

4. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Yeah, having this on steam would be excellent. :)

Any idea if that will be a possibility in future?

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I doubt that it'll be available on Steam, but I believe that it's available to download from the Sins site via TotalGaming.net. Download only version is $50.

6. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Its games for windows.. doesnt that mean online is Windows Live PC only. No matter how good of the game i refuse to support it if it has Live PC features.

7. ZubaZ

ZubaZ What's a Dremel?

Been a Stardock customer since the OS/2 years.

Sins does not use Windows Live PC. IronClad has it's own IronClad Online thing.
    And Stardock has Stardock Central, its digital distribution service. Install and enter your email and you can manage your downloads, archives, and updates (also integrated IRC and forums). No need for the CD, no DRM, install as many times as you want on as many PCs (too many will alert Stardock and you'll need to verify authenticity.)

Features of Sins I love:
    * Being able to save long-running muti-player games
    * The Empire tree to manage everything
    * The AI's ability to micro-manage battles while I'm zoomed out (although I tend to zoom in to manage because it's fun)

8. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Stardock has made some great games, currently i play Galactic Civilizations 2 which i find to be fun. Kudos to the no copy protection too, saves a lot of headaches when you have them on 2 different PCs.

9. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

is this fully 3d like homeworld or pseudo 3d?

10. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

its pseudo 3d.
    I didn't really like this game too much, I find its too slow. I'm sure that there are people who would rather have the slower pace game, but its not for me.

11. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

You can change the research/game speeds... >.>

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It is fully 3D, but by default to stop your brain exploding you don't have full 3D control over the camera, the ships often move around on the Z axis. However the game isn't so much about the actual maneuvering of units but about the large scale. The AI handles the nitty gritty of the battles itself very well, however, I like to deploy some of the special abilities of units myself as they don't always do it at the best time.

I disagree with your views on the pirates, I think they work great (and for anyone who doesn't like them, the latest patch has added versions of the random maps without pirates). The bounty isn't just for pirates, it's for everyone, I can put a bounty on a player so another player is tempted to start picking off his units to get some extra cash, but the main use of the bounty system is for the pirate raids. I like how every 12 minutes you get an eBay style auction to stop the pirates attacking you and to hinder another player. Once you learn how to deal with them though, they are a welcome asset, I actually sometimes let them attack me, as they'll attack my nearest system I'll put a few capital ships I want leveling up there.

A tip to anyone who is beginning to play, you start off with 1 capital ship crew and your first cap ship is free, what I usually do is build a cap ship factory (then the asteroid mines when that's done) then build the cap ship that can colonise planets, send a few scouts out to explore while it builds with auto scout on. That cap ship is able to take the small asteroid planets on it's own at the beginning. I'll then max out the rest of my fleet capacity with light frigates (usually around 8 of them depending on the race), those and the cap ship can capture any proper planet (in the initial phases of course, once a player gets hold of it, then it's completely different).

Make sure to save some money so you can bid on the first pirate raid, the raiders are a PITA at the start, you can kill them but they'll stunt your growth. By the next raid you'll probably have enough defences in the closest colony to deal with the pirate raids, I found 1 capital ship and about 5 or so defence turrets could kill the highest level pirate raid without too much bother.

13. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

I bought this on day of release via their storefront. I only wish the research and ship building was more like Masters of Orion but its a great game with alot of depth. I just finished playing a 28 hour game!

Cant wait for the 3rd party babylon 5 mods woot!

14. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

So its worth buying the game then? :D

Think I'll take the plunge soon. :)

<ninja edit>>
    Was just thinking, does this have a demo out?

15. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

yeah, I did. still really wasn't fast enough for me. Like I said, I'm sure that the game is perfect for some people, but for me, its too slow to really enjoy.

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

No demo unfortunately, you can always "acquire" a copy to try out before you buy it, no point wasting money on a game you don't like

17. BlueTrin

BlueTrin What's a Dremel?

Bought it, really liked it but it is one of these kind of games that you would better try before to buy ...

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah it's definitely not for everyone, not your typical fast paced RTS. There are also people complaining that it's too fast, even on the slow settings.

19. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Think I read somewhere on their official forums that a demo is arriving *soon*

20. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

I'm a steam whore. Is this game coming to steam? :D

Tags: Add Tags